Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yep we have a backsplash. Marble tiles. I did it as part of 2018 kitchen remodel. Went a little overboard and put it up to the ceiling above the kitchen window.
That is fairly swoonworthy!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #42

Granite countertop with white subway tiles style backsplash from countertop to bottom of cabinets. Backsplash does have an accent line of approx 2 inch tall contrasting tiles that match the countertop color at around 2/3 way up.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Black granite countertop with light gray marble subway tiles and white cabinets.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #44

When I renovated our kitchen, I had a 4" backsplash made of the same quartz material as the countertops installed (the quartz was only available installed, no DIY sales). Above that I put ~6" x 8" glossy tiles on 1/8" grout lines. All the way up to cabinets, and behind the cook top, all the way up to the range hood. I bought the tiles at the Re-Store, they were perfect for our needs, nothing else we saw at tile stores or outlets could compare to those. Glad I bought them at first sight and didn't wait.

I had spent time at various tile places and tile outlets. Saw people in there with their "tile guy" or their "contractor". Saw people picking out really (in my opinion!) miserable choices for backsplashes behind cook tops. Like small rectangular rough pieces of stone (lots of grout area and rough surface to clean without a power washer ), or lots of itty-bitty tiles (lots of grout area!) or... Travertine pieces!!! What, really? Travertine by definition is a hole-y substance. Just what you need when cooking ground beef, have splatter of little bits or grease into little holes! Travertine was really trendy then.
I really wondered if some of the people I overheard ever cooked anything at home, or was the kitchen just for show!
Old 12-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have one.
I put one in a house I was selling, white subway tiles with a gray tile to add interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1534.jpg (518.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #46

When I bought our little house around 1982 everything in the house was exactly as it was when built in 1955. There was a stainless steel backsplash in the kitchen. I think it was around 9+ years ago I took the kitchen down to the studs and built a new kitchen with a backsplash made out of the same Formica as the counter tops.
I like the look and the ease of keeping the kitchen clean.
If I am still around when the counter top starts to look worn then I will replace the counters and backsplash with quartz.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We enclosed a screen porch and expanded and completely redid our kitchen about 30 years ago. We went with granite countertops and no backsplash. Still looks good.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #48

I've never liked the look. The 4" (or whatever) backsplash that's built into the stock countertops from the big box stores is plenty. And they're cheap and easy to replace.

I tend to take the long view. What's trendy this year will just look tacky in a few years. Simple and low-key is more my style. I've already renovated the same kitchen three times in my life. I don't want to ever do it again.

But that's just me. Blow that dough on whatever works for you!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had 4inch tile counter tops and backsplash here when we moved in 10 years ago and DW hated it after a while. It was hard to clean and the grout never did look really clean. a couple of years ago we had new granite counter tops installed both in kitchen and the master bathroom. We left the tile backsplash up and matched the granite to the tile. Mama is a lot happier now with both but now she is talking about replacing the bath floor tiles for the same reason ,she hates the grout. I'm hoping I can keep from changing it out because I feel it would be a waste since we aqre wanting to try to find some place out in country where we can park our RV at home instead of at a storage lot.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we do. tile on the wall but also a small backsplash that matches the counters.

Same here. At first, we didn't want the 4" granite backsplash, due to all the TV shows. The outfit that did our granite said that most of his customers who didn't install the 4" came back later and wanted to it retrofitted. Matching the stone is difficult if not cut from the same slab. They threw in the backsplash for us to store and said in the future, we would want it. They were right. When they did the countertop install, we had them install the backsplash, then tiled above that. That was 15 years ago. Maybe things have changed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backsplash.jpg (105.9 KB, 34 views)
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Polished marble and custom glass mosaic plaque.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211223_083723022~2.jpg (413.4 KB, 41 views)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:54 AM   #52

I put my tumbled on the diagonal, and then small inset ones spaced around to add some interest:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010067.JPG (220.7 KB, 47 views)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #54

When we bought our house in 2020 it had the standard builders formica with 4" backsplash. When we replaced the counters with quartz, we didn't have them add a backsplash so DW and I added our take on white subway tile with an accent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg origkitchen.jpg (548.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210425_185913887_HDR.jpg (487.6 KB, 37 views)
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We remodeled a kitchen in 2004 and added a backsplash. We built our current house in 2016 and added a backsplash early this year. Not sure why we didn’t add it when we built.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #56

I put one in this kitchen in the 2014 remodel. The new home will get one, this time quartz counters rather than granite.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Did 6 inch granite backsplash that is from the same slab as the counters with our kitchen remodel 2 years ago to go from the counter to the window trim. May eventually add something behind the stove but for now it is just paint. When doing the demo for the renovation discovered beautiful portugese mosiac tile backsplash (counter to bottom of cabinets and soffit above) under the ugly red plastic faux ceiling tile that the prior owners put in.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #58
Administrator

Back splashes make kitchen cleaning simpler (unless they are tumbled stone that is porous). Aside from "completing the look" they serve an important function.

We've put glass tile in the last 2 kitchens. It's a relatively simple DIY project and can be cleaned with glass cleaner.

grout_done.jpg
Old 12-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We've put glass tile in the last 2 kitchens.

But then again you like glass!

But seriously, beautiful kitchen.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:35 PM   #60

It is indeed lovely <Waves at future neighbor>
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote