Do you have a back splash in your kitchen?

Polished marble and custom glass mosaic plaque.

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_083723022~2.jpg
    IMG_20211223_083723022~2.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 41
I put my tumbled on the diagonal, and then small inset ones spaced around to add some interest:

Attachments

• P1010067.JPG
    P1010067.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 47
When we bought our house in 2020 it had the standard builders formica with 4" backsplash. When we replaced the counters with quartz, we didn't have them add a backsplash so DW and I added our take on white subway tile with an accent.

Attachments

• origkitchen.jpg
    origkitchen.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210425_185913887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210425_185913887_HDR.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 37
We remodeled a kitchen in 2004 and added a backsplash. We built our current house in 2016 and added a backsplash early this year. Not sure why we didn’t add it when we built.

I put one in this kitchen in the 2014 remodel. The new home will get one, this time quartz counters rather than granite.

Did 6 inch granite backsplash that is from the same slab as the counters with our kitchen remodel 2 years ago to go from the counter to the window trim. May eventually add something behind the stove but for now it is just paint. When doing the demo for the renovation discovered beautiful portugese mosiac tile backsplash (counter to bottom of cabinets and soffit above) under the ugly red plastic faux ceiling tile that the prior owners put in.

Back splashes make kitchen cleaning simpler (unless they are tumbled stone that is porous). Aside from "completing the look" they serve an important function.

We've put glass tile in the last 2 kitchens. It's a relatively simple DIY project and can be cleaned with glass cleaner.

grout_done.jpg

All very nice kitchens. :greetings10:

Some more to my taste than others, but that is subjective.
I just hope they get used and are not only for show. :D

We were watching a home improvement show a couple days ago, and they were debating which kitchen back splash tile to choose. Honestly, all of the tiles they use on these shows are way too busy and quite ugly in my opinion. "Timeless classic", yeah right.

Anyway, my wife asked me if I wished we had a back splash. I said no, she agreed, and as we thought back we realized we have never lived in a home that had a back splash. None of our homes had one, our parents homes didn't have them, and our grandparents homes certainly didn't.

However, watch any home improvement show these days and that's always a must have, no questions asked. (As are expensive stone or quartz counters, but that's another topic).

Our kitchen walls are just painted, and flat paint at that to match the rest of the house. We never really splatter anything on the walls, and if we do it wipes off easily. I did repaint our kitchen and dining walls this last summer (after 17 years), but that was mostly to repair some dings and drywall cracks, not because we didn't have a back splash.

So I'm curious, do you have a back splash in your kitchen?

We built our home back in the early 90-ies without a backsplash (not sure that was even a thing back then....). Never really had a need to add one. The walls behind the sink as well as behind the range have not been repainted yet, they look just fine

But then again you like glass! :)

But seriously, beautiful kitchen.

Right - but you could just as easily use ceramic tile or as noted by others quartz or stone slabs. My point here is about cleanability.. surfaces behind cookers, prep areas and sinks get grimed. Having some cleanable surface makes good sense. I like the glass; it reflects light. I also like the price of the glass and ceramic tile is even thriftier. Slabs of stone and quartz are too dear for my wallet (no matter how nice they look). ;)

Yep we have a backsplash. Marble tiles. I did it as part of 2018 kitchen remodel. Went a little overboard and put it up to the ceiling above the kitchen window.
Looks very nice Ronstar.

Last edited:
Right - but you could just as easily use ceramic tile or as noted by others quartz or stone slabs. My point here is about cleanability.. surfaces behind cookers, prep areas and sinks get grimed. Having some cleanable surface makes good sense. I like the glass; it reflects light. I also like the price of the glass and ceramic tile is even thriftier. Slabs of stone and quartz are too dear for my wallet (no matter how nice they look). ;)
Our subway tiles are the same ceramic ones we have around our shower. They are very easy to clean (Windex works great), which is a good thing since we make such a mess while cooking.

Hmmm... We don't have kitchen backsplash in either home.

Never thought that we would need one. I thought if we didn't splash, then we needed no backsplash. Right?

Don't have a backsplash in the motorhome either, come to think of it.

PS. Ugh, just saw the definition of a backsplash below. If so, then what kitchen does not have it? All counters have it, whatever material it is, be it laminate or granite or tile or Corian. And all stoves come with one built-in.

I said that we don't have a back splash but the material on the countertop (whatever laminate stuff) does also rise up a few inches from the counter. Does that count as a back splash? It's maybe 4 inches high, and then just painted wall above that.

Last edited:

Yes, yes, I was just touting my recollection of your glass artistry. :D

I agree with you w.r.t. cleanability. As I said upthread, I did without a backsplash for a number of years, but recently added marble tiles due to cleanability issues. (As for price, I got these at a very low cost of $4/sq. ft.)

Same Corian as the counter tops all the way to the bottom of the cabinet. Looks good and has held up perfectly through the years.

We have Silestone countertops and 4" backsplash and then beadboard up to the cabinets and on the island surround. We like the look for our country kitchen which we remodeled in 2007.

No backsplash here, except by disneysteve's definition in post #15. Guess I don't care one way or the other.

Here's a photo of the kitchen that I took when first viewing the house back in 2015. I bought it that afternoon. :D

Attachments

• Kitchen2.jpg
    Kitchen2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 117
No backsplash here, except by disneysteve's definition in post #15. Guess I don't care one way or the other.

Here's a photo of the kitchen that I took when first viewing the house back in 2015. I bought it that afternoon. :D

Yes, you have a backsplash.

Yep, we went slightly cream subway to blend with the granite. We still would do it today. Cleans up the look imo. May have gone to the ceiling, around the window, in hindsight.

1952 tiny ranch...

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_114041.jpg
    IMG_20190711_114041.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 32
Formica -- just like the counter top. It goes up to the bottom of the cabinets all the way around. Formica, however, might not be what people are thinking of when they think back-splash these days.

-gauss

No, we don’t have one in either our home or our vacation condo.

Back
Top Bottom