Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have a back splash in your kitchen?
Old 12-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have a back splash in your kitchen?

We were watching a home improvement show a couple days ago, and they were debating which kitchen back splash tile to choose. Honestly, all of the tiles they use on these shows are way too busy and quite ugly in my opinion. "Timeless classic", yeah right.

Anyway, my wife asked me if I wished we had a back splash. I said no, she agreed, and as we thought back we realized we have never lived in a home that had a back splash. None of our homes had one, our parents homes didn't have them, and our grandparents homes certainly didn't.

However, watch any home improvement show these days and that's always a must have, no questions asked. (As are expensive stone or quartz counters, but that's another topic).

Our kitchen walls are just painted, and flat paint at that to match the rest of the house. We never really splatter anything on the walls, and if we do it wipes off easily. I did repaint our kitchen and dining walls this last summer (after 17 years), but that was mostly to repair some dings and drywall cracks, not because we didn't have a back splash.

So I'm curious, do you have a back splash in your kitchen?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #2

Yes, we have a backsplash - just normal/simple tiles as on the counters and the walls under the cabinets and above the counters. 1960's home. It was already that way when we purchased 20 years ago.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #3

We always have backsplash in the kitchen of our homes. It completes the look.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

We don't. Our kitchen was last redone around 1992 a couple years before we bought the house. I don't think back splashes were popular back then.

I see so many things on tv or that friends post on Facebook about renovations they've done and I often think the results are hideous. One person posted before and after pictures of their kitchen. They took gorgeous wood cabinets and had them painted gray. It looked awful but apparently wood is out and gray is in right now. No thanks.

Same with bathrooms. I just saw one today that had tile on the walls and floor that totally clashed with each other. It was hideous.

If we do any renovating, which we aren't planning to do, there's no way we're jumping on the current trend.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do, and I like it. I think in a previous home there was an acrylic panel behind the range, but I can't swear to it. In my current home, which I had custom built 20 years ago, I had the cabinet guy cut a piece from the solid surface (Corian knockoff) countertop to put behind there. I think he had suggested it, or maybe it was the builder. I think it looks fine, and of course if matches the counters. It's easier to clean than a wall, especially things like grease or spaghetti sauce stains. And probably holds up better to any heat or steam the wall might encounter.

Tile, I don't think I'd like, because I find grout a lot harder to clean.

If you haven't seen a need in 17 years, no need to add one now. Not that you were considering it, as I reread your post.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #6

We remodeled the kitchen in 2012 and put in granite counters and tile backsplash from countertop to bottom of cabinets. The cabinet and counter company offered a granite splash about 4" high. We wanted full coverage.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

I have a tumbled marble tile backsplash. Not very practical, but I don't find I make actual splashes that often. I picked one that complemented our granite, it's simple and natural. I can't remember if anything was there before, but that kitchen was old and basic and part of what was built with the house. If anything, they took the formica up the wall? In that case I would have preferred paint!

But in your case OP, unless you were doing a remodel, there's no need to add one - especially if your wife doesn't mind.

My sister has 6x6 stone tile with traditional grout lines as her backsplash. My mum says she should change it but sister doesn't care enough to bother.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Administrator

We also have white subway tiles from the granite countertop up to the bottom of the cabinets and up to the hood behind the stovetop. We specifically had them installed when we remodeled/expanded the kitchen 15 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen 1.jpg (509.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Our backsplashes are made out of the same 20 mm thick granite slabs as the countertops and go all the way to the cabinets.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

When we moved into our retirement house in 2014, the counter tops were Formica. I measured the surface areas and made a template and then DW picked out a granite slab at a warehouse. I had the slab cut and the pieces polished by a friend in the business and over a weekend I installed the counter tops, a new double sink, new plumbing and trim.

DW wanted a subway tile backsplash and I had that done by my friend's tile guy as setting small tile is not my thing (too frustrating - LOL). We also "tiled in" a design in the stove backsplash area.

Our old house had just painted Sheetrock in the back of the counters and it worked for that old house.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes, of course. It’s one more way to add distinction to the kitchen. To me not having one would make the kitchen look unfinished.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #12

When I had the kitchen done a few years ago I went for a simple Shaker style compatible with the 1920s house. The backsplash is off white subway tile with a subtle crackle finish.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
So I'm curious, do you have a back splash in your kitchen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I have a tumbled marble tile backsplash.
Same here.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #14

When we had our kitchen tile replaced with a granite countertop, we did have a matching backsplash.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #15

I said that we don't have a back splash but the material on the countertop (whatever laminate stuff) does also rise up a few inches from the counter. Does that count as a back splash? It's maybe 4 inches high, and then just painted wall above that.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I said that we don't have a back splash but the material on the countertop (whatever laminate stuff) does also rise up a few inches from the counter. Does that count as a back splash? It's maybe 4 inches high, and then just painted wall above that.
Yes.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes.
Never mind then.

When I think of a backsplash I picture the tile people have over the 4-inch extension.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Not in my books.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Our backsplashes are made out of the same 20 mm thick granite slabs as the countertops and go all the way to the cabinets.
Yep, that was our home in California - full granite all the way up to the cabinets. Our previous home in NV, we had glass tile as backsplash in our kitchen, and granite that goes up all the way for the other counters. Our current home has a stainless steel kind of backsplash which was put in by the seller. When we remodel the kitchen, we will do something else.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Never mind then.

When I think of a backsplash I picture the tile people have over the 4-inch extension.
Even 4" is a backsplash, although not a very tall one.