Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have a double?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a double?

The other day I walk into my favorite greasy spoon. As I head to the back to hang up my coat on the rack, a fellow sitting in one of the booths, with his wife, says hi Danny, fairly loud and looking me square in the eye.

Hmmm, my name not Danny, but his look and body language is positive, he is addressing me. His hand outstretched in an offer of handshake. I give him the handshake, and politely explain, no, I'm not whoever he thinks I am. He continues to insist, saying yes we worked together in xyz police dept. Pronouncing the word police as only cops do.
So I again explain my name and that it is nice to meet him, but sadly he is mistaken. But nonetheless it nice to make his acquaintance. By now his wife is kicking him under the table, and finally he concedes. He was really convinced when the waitress as usual called me by name, and handed me my coffee, which I don't have to ask for.

So it appears in a nearby large city, there is some fairly high ranking law enforcement type, who is my spitting image. Close enough that a recently retired cop is convinced.

I knew I had a double wen I lived in Downstate MY. He was a mail carrier. similar stature, age, features, except had red hair. Him I actually met, was close to looking in a mirror.

Have you found your double, or two?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes. There is someone in Buffalo who looks just like me. Someone came up to me in a grocery store and said, Hi. He was very confused when I explained I wasn't who he thought I was.

As I get older, I am starting to look like a lot of people.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

People often insist I'm Angelina Jolie
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I was going through the lunch line at university and I looked at a student who was working behind the serving area. I almsot fell over he looked do much like me.

Later I got to know him. We had similar ethnic backgrounds, but that could only have accounted for a small part of our similarity.

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't met her, but I am supposed to have a distant cousin from the village in Greece my family came from that looks just like me. (I hope she doesn't have a mustache like so many Mediteranean women and that's WHY they think she looks like me..ha!ha!)
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If I were a little taller, a little older and a little thinner, I could be Captain Stubing...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If I were a little taller, a fair amount younger, and a whole lot better looking I could be mistaken for Brad Pitt.

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Back when I was w*rking, I used to travel a lot on business and had to eat out a lot. Often, in various cities, I'd get a comment from a waitress stating that I looked just like someone they knew [who lived somewhere nearby]. I never met any of these 'look alikes'. I've also been told I look like (take your pick): Jane Seymour, Julie Andrews, Vanessa Redgrave, and Jackie Onassis. I'm still trying to 'triangulate' what those faces have in common. My ex (who, unlike me, has a fabulous sense of facial recognition) conceded that, of that list, I look the most like Jane Seymour. omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a double?

When I've had a tough day....yes....
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I was going through the lunch line at university and I looked at a student who was working behind the serving area. I almsot fell over he looked do much like me.

Later I got to know him. We had similar ethnic backgrounds, but that could only have accounted for a small part of our similarity.

Ha
Were your parents on the same milk route as his?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
People often insist I'm Angelina Jolie
My father used to say that he always knew his son would grow up to look like a famous Hollywood actor, but he never expected it would be Wilford Brimley...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have had people come up to me and greet me and look confused so there are at least two people out there who look like me.

And, having a semi common name, I get email for other people at my office or my old university. I know who they are and forward them their mail.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, if Elmer Fudd was taller and had a mustache.....
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My mom was waiting for the elevator in her apartment building one day when a guy looking just like me walked into the building lobby and walked towards the elevator. She got confused for a moment because she knew it couldn't possibly be me (I live 6,000 miles away). She was so shocked she kept starring at him with her mouth wide open during the entire elevator ride. She was even more astounded when he exited the elevator on the same floor as she did. Turns out he had just moved in the apartment across the hallway from hers. My sister saw the dude later on and confirmed he looked like my splitting image. I have never seen him, but one of those days, when I go visit my mom, I'll probably find myself starring at my double in the elevator of her apartment building.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think there maybe a double out there of me. During college I stopped by my old high school, where I immediately attracted the attention of two cops. After a great deal of protestations and explanations they accepted that I wasn't the guy that broke into the high school the previous week. But they warned me I looked just like him and next time I got stopped by the cops today to tell them I had already been cleared.

Needless to say I drove very carefully the next couple of days.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I said to a hotel clerk, “I have a cousin who looks just like you.” She replied, “so do I.”
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My sister was on a bus in England. She saw a guy who looked like me. She went up to him, told him "you look like my brother," and showed him a picture of me.

He said "Hey, I know that guy!"

It was a friend of a friend.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There's supposed to be some sort of long time French Quarter character who looks exactly like me. It's embarrassing. Even the mule drivers down there think they know me.

THINK AGAIN!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Three "double" occurances:

1) We saw my wife's sister that morning and agreed to meet her at the fair. We ran into her double at the fair first. My wife kept calling her name without response and getting increasingly upset until I was able to get her to look at the girl's shoes..the only item out of character for her true sister..and she finally agreed it wasn't her.

2) Had a friend at college..met his true double just a couple of blocks from the dorm..as I talked about mutual interest items his confused expression grew until he said I was probably mistaking him for his twin brother. The friend had never mentioned he had a twin brother in the same town.

3) My mom sent me a bank robber pic taken on the east coast..a clear picture of "me" robbing a bank. Fortunately I was living on the west coast at the time.

I have had many people that I don't know greet me and appear to recognize me. So far they have been smiling and cordial...beats having someone you don't know come up and slap you.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I must have a generic face because people are always saying I look like somebody they know.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote