Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I have heard this before many years ago, intelligence is inversely correlated to noise tolerance. Looks like a similar study linking creativity to low noise tolerance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reativity.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reativity.html
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The quietest house I ever lived in was my parents' 2-bedroom, one-story concrete-block house in Florida. There was a 4-lane highway less than a thousand feet away, and you could not hear it at all with the windows closed (which they usually were). The lots were only about 75x100, and many neighbors had pools with kids and grandkids going "Marco Polo" all day long, but unless you opened the windows or sat outside, you would never know.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The quietest house I ever lived in was my parents' 2-bedroom, one-story concrete-block house in Florida. There was a 4-lane highway less than a thousand feet away, and you could not hear it at all with the windows closed (which they usually were). The lots were only about 75x100, and many neighbors had pools with kids and grandkids going "Marco Polo" all day long, but unless you opened the windows or sat outside, you would never know.
There seems to be general consensus for concrete construction. Once on vacation I was walking around a new residential development outside of Munich with a German friend and we saw a home under construction. The walls were cinderblock. She said German construction standards require it. She went on to share that when she and her (also German) husband moved to the states some years ago, they were appalled at the shoddy construction and consequently noisy environs. I immediately wanted to relocate permanently to a new build German home.
bevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevette View Post
There seems to be general consensus for concrete construction. Once on vacation I was walking around a new residential development outside of Munich with a German friend and we saw a home under construction. The walls were cinderblock. She said German construction standards require it. She went on to share that when she and her (also German) husband moved to the states some years ago, they were appalled at the shoddy construction and consequently noisy environs. I immediately wanted to relocate permanently to a new build German home.
Are the walls reinforced with rebar and a concrete pour? In a US environment masonry (blocks) must be carefully reinforced or it will kill you in a quake. The city of Seattle has many old office buildings and some apartments downtown that need to be reinforced @ $billions right now. So far, not getting done. Few landlords could make the outlay of take the risk.

When I was looking to buy a condo, my rule was must be concrete and steel or reinforced masonry or wood construction with brick or stucco veneer. My girlfriend lives in a building with steel framework and tilt-up concrete panels. Very earthquake stable, and no need for extreme protection from street or neighborhood noise. But they did a piss-poor job of sound isolation within the building.

My own building has been excellent regarding sound, but partly it is the sort of people who live here. I would not expect a family to buy or rent here. None of the units are really made for families even though some are large enough.

Ha
Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Grew up next to a railroad track that shook our house. Nothing bothers me now.
Yikes!

After my divorce when I was looking at houses the RE agent showed me a couple of cape cod style houses I would have loved to buy but...

One was half a block from a RR track and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand that noise.

The other was a block away from a six-lane divided highway that I also knew was a major route for a fire station about a half-mile away. No way could I live there.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I consider our neighborhood to be nice and peaceful. But reading all the posts I realize the worst noise here is the gas powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers.

The RR tracks are about 1.5 miles away. We can hear them if the windows are open and the weather carries the sound. The high school is over a mile away and on Friday nights we can hear some sounds from a home game.

Our previous neighbor through the backyard used to babysit kids and early in the morning we would hear her gate opening and closing as kids were dropped off. She went "away" for 17 months (state prison, long story) and it was very quiet over there!

I don't mind normal people and dog activity, people coming and going and living their lives. The summer landscaping noise gets to me but it's in short spurts. I love the birds chirping when we have the windows open.

My absolute DREAM would be to live on the ocean, I love the sound of waves. Of course that would also include hurricane possibilities....

And the worst would be living below other people. Hearing other people walking, talking, tv sounds over my head would be awful!

Good luck to the OP. I hope you find a quiet place.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in a single family home on a golf course in a golf course community. Homes are well spaced out. Quite quiet. In the summer you hear typical sounds of lawn mowers and a/c units kicking on, kids playing in their yards.

Our Florida condo is a concrete building, top floor, end unit. We don’t hear anything except the mowers and leaf blowers once a week. Very lucky.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved from a socal city neighborhood with airplane noise to a SC sfr on an acre with a river behind us. Leaf blowers and our 300 outboard boat engine are the nosiest things I hear. My tinnitus is better and some days I do not even notice it. I feel like I live in a private quiet park.

I see I am not alone in wanting, really craving the peace and quiet!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #69

To answer the question, yes, we are so lucky to live in a SFH in a quiet neighborhood in central Iowa. Great, quiet neighbors who stay in their houses a lot. We have been here 26 years. The only thing I can hear now is the pool cleaner and the birds. That is the best thing about our town, peaceful and quiet, but close to everything we need. Downside is our winters!!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
Windows. Several posters have mentioned double or triple pane over single. Really no one has or should have single pane windows today. Double pane is standard. Triple pane would be on an ultra high end residence. The bigger factor to consider is whether they are “double hung” or “single hung”. Single hung windows have the top sash fixed in place so they automatically offer better noise control plus energy efficiency. We have a home in a city. The noise from outside is not an issue with single hung windows plus an energy star 2.0 insulation package. The only noise issue we have now is the machine noise from the Hvac unit in the attic. It’s a weird hum. The only way to avoid that is to not have the unit in the area over the bedroom. Your home plan layout will determine what can and cannot be done.
Triple pane windows are very common up here even on average houses due to our very cold winters. They don't even sell single pane windows other than for unheated garages or 3-season sunrooms. Sliding windows are also rare due to air leakage and instead most windows close with a handle that pulls them tight against weather stripping.

Reduced noise is a benefit of triple windows, but energy efficiency and comfort is the main reason they are used.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live on acreage, with the house smack dab in the middle of it. I never hear anything except for an occasional car that goes by on the gravel road. I do get seasonal noise-crop dusters and helicopters for harvesting Christmas trees-but it's very short lived.
However, living in the country doesn't ensure peace and quiet either. People in the country like to shoot, you could get noise from farm equipment, and I've heard of neighbors who have issues with people from the city coming up here to drive their vehicles like morons. Also possible to having noisy neighbors or someone doing illegal work on their property (such as automotive repair business).
Anywhere you live you just have to check the noise level on different days and different times. No way to ensure it's going to stay quiet once you move it.
As far as condos or apartments go, you have to be willing so accept some level of noise. It comes with the territory.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I live on acreage, with the house smack dab in the middle of it. I never hear anything except for an occasional car that goes by on the gravel road. I do get seasonal noise-crop dusters and helicopters for harvesting Christmas trees-but it's very short lived.
However, living in the country doesn't ensure peace and quiet either. People in the country like to shoot, you could get noise from farm equipment, and I've heard of neighbors who have issues with people from the city coming up here to drive their vehicles like morons. Also possible to having noisy neighbors or someone doing illegal work on their property (such as automotive repair business).
Anywhere you live you just have to check the noise level on different days and different times. No way to ensure it's going to stay quiet once you move it.
As far as condos or apartments go, you have to be willing so accept some level of noise. It comes with the territory.
Wise advice. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #73
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes. Very quiet. I live on a half acre in a semi-rural burb of a medium sized city. I have amenities nearby (several grocery stores, discount stores, hardware, a SuperWalMart, urgent care, vets, you name it), a small park 3 miles down the street for walking the dog. Dead end street. 20 - 30 minutes to the various areas of the mid-sized city, for theater, mall, Sam's Club, Home Depot & Lowe's, etc.

When I walk outside at night, I hear frogs, crickets, dogs barking in the distance. I see a possum, neighborhood cats. There's a hawk in the area that hunts at night.

It's very quiet. Occasionally the kids across the street play ball in their driveway. Neighbors all use riding mowers to mow their lawns. The neighbor's cars occasionally coming & going. The neighbor behind me has an occasional pool party, but not loud (older couple).

For me, it's too quiet. I prefer more activity. Consider: I didn't put Christmas decorations up because there's no one to see them, really. My dog looks out the window for a minute then walks away....there's nothing to see except an occasional neighbor taking a walk. Ho hum. If I sit out back...it's too hot and humid, and too boring.

I suppose I should be glad I don't live near party people. But I lived in a nice neighborhood before, with people all around. No wild parties or too much noise. Cars passing by on my through-street...plenty of people to see our Christmas decorations. Lots of people walking or jogging the neighborhood. Walking their dogs. Stopping to chat occasionally. Very nice. I hope to return to that kind of neighborhood.

I moved here for my retirement. It wasn't what I'd planned (boring story). I am hoping to move again, for the last time. It's physically and financially demanding to sell and move.

If you really want quiet, a semi-rural area outside of a mid-sized city, with a largish yard, might do it. I wouldn't advise it, though, if you are a city dweller. The people who live in semi-rural areas are not city folk. I've had a couple of people already comment on how "smart" I am. I'm not particularly smart, but here in Petticoat Junction, the women folk don't usually know what their walls are made of or the brand of their a/c. Their husbands take care of that complicated stuff.
Bpollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Our house and neighborhood in general are pretty quiet.

BTW - One possible cause of noise sensitivity is magnesium deficiency, which some health experts believe may actually be pretty common.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 AM   #75

I too have a low tolerance for external noise, especially when I am listening to music. So, I completely feel your pain.

Most people here in Switzerland, myself included, live in apartment buildings. So, there are noise laws -- normal sleeping hours are considered to be from 10pm to 6am; therefore excessive noise during this period is not tolerated (loud parties, using a loud voice on your balcony, hanging a picture with a hammer...that kind of thing).

Sundays and public holidays, and workdays between noon and 1pm are also considered to be rest periods--so no noise. It's a cultural norm here that on Sundays there can be no noise from yard equipment (blowers, mowers, clippers), no vacuum cleaning, and no car washing. I'm in heaven with respect to this.

Everyone has the right to call the police when infractions occur and the police will respond. Landlords (most people rent here due to cost of buying) have been known to evict noisy tenants. This generally screws them for future rentals. So your reputation for being quiet is important! That said, normal noise, even sometimes a bit excessive, during non sleeping/non rest hours is tolerated quite well.

Most buildings are very solid -- concrete, brick, etc., and all windows here are double-paned at minimum, which helps a lot.

-BB
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #76

We live about ten miles from town out in the country. We love that it is so quiet and peaceful. Although, even nature can be noisy. Wind blowing in the trees, birds chirping, owls hooting, coyotes howling, crickets chirping, frogs croaking, and we even have a peacock running wild on our hill that calls out occasionally.

We do hear some road noise from cars driving by, mostly log trucks or dump trucks when new lots are being developed. Or the kid that drives by occasionally with his booming stereo. We've also got some guy with a motorcycle that sounds like some kind of jet engine. Very fascinating, we always want to stop him and ask to look at his bike to see what makes it sound that way.

The neighbors landscapers show up every Friday with their mowers and leaf blowers. That's a bit annoying, but I run my woodworking equipment occasionally too so fair is fair.

We also have a gravel mine a few miles from our house. Once every week or two they will blast for new rock. We don't really "hear" the explosion, but you can feel the vibration, cabinet doors rattling, etc. Strange feeling.

It used to be a lot quieter out here, but noise has picked up over the years as more people have moved into the area. Thankfully, the major developments are over, so we don't have the daily caravan of trucks and construction equipment we had for a year or two.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

We live in a very quiet neighborhood. There is the usual yard care noise during the daytime, and a school nearby. But evenings and weekends are peaceful.
Our house is over 60 years old. Very little wall insulation, we have added insulation in the ceilings and floors, and when we replaced the windows several years ago, we noticed a good reduction in noise.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
BTW - One possible cause of noise sensitivity is magnesium deficiency, which some health experts believe may actually be pretty common.

This is interesting. I'd never heard that. I just googled 'high magnesium foods' and I seem to eat many foods on the list regularly, if not daily. But I'll ask my GP if she can test magnesium levels at my next annual exam.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I too have a low tolerance for external noise, especially when I am listening to music. So, I completely feel your pain.

Most people here in Switzerland, myself included, live in apartment buildings. So, there are noise laws -- normal sleeping hours are considered to be from 10pm to 6am; therefore excessive noise during this period is not tolerated (loud parties, using a loud voice on your balcony, hanging a picture with a hammer...that kind of thing).

Sundays and public holidays, and workdays between noon and 1pm are also considered to be rest periods--so no noise. It's a cultural norm here that on Sundays there can be no noise from yard equipment (blowers, mowers, clippers), no vacuum cleaning, and no car washing. I'm in heaven with respect to this.

Everyone has the right to call the police when infractions occur and the police will respond. Landlords (most people rent here due to cost of buying) have been known to evict noisy tenants. This generally screws them for future rentals. So your reputation for being quiet is important! That said, normal noise, even sometimes a bit excessive, during non sleeping/non rest hours is tolerated quite well.

Most buildings are very solid -- concrete, brick, etc., and all windows here are double-paned at minimum, which helps a lot.

-BB

May I rent a room from you?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevette View Post
May I rent a room from you?
Ha ha. I forgot to add that apartments (at least the affordable ones) tend towards the small size!

-BB