Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I don't live permanently on my acreage but I am there a lot. The closest neighbor is over a mile away and then jumps to over 3 miles away plus. I have great relationships with all of them and have meet new friends. When I'm at the ranch I often will get a few ranchers that stop and we shoot the bull. I have been taken tomatoes every time I go now and put a bag of them in their mail boxes. Lol The one guy said he can't get any tomatoes to turn red this year.
One rancher called yesterday and was wondering about the trial they use to get to a field, that I will own shortly. He asked if they can still use it. I told him that nothing will change and you do what you have done for the last 100 years. It is all part of getting along and working together because we all need each other to make things work.
When we lived on some acreage (in the midwest - part of a farm) our new neighbor came over shortly after she moved in. She asked us if we had seen the tornado go through our back 40 (primarily trees) the day before. No, because we were in town during the event. We did see a house that had been lifted off its foundation and dumped onto one of the roads leading home. We wondered how close it had come to our house. What a way to get to know your neighbors!

We got along well with all but one of our near-by neighbors. That's the way it should be. We let everyone fish in our pond - only asked that they tell their teens to pick up after themselves.

The only neighbor we didn't see eye to eye with was the one who w*rked days and left two vicious dogs to guard their property - neither on a leash. When we tried to go for a walk, they would bound over our front 6 acres and force us back inside. We called the sheriff who told the folks that we would be within our rights to shoot the dogs next time it happened. It never did happen again and I doubt I could shoot a dog. But, we were never friends. What a shame. Neighbors should be, well, neighborly like street's neighbors.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Love this thread, surprised not many golf course views
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cheap2eat View Post
Love this thread, surprised not many golf course views
I wondered about that too. (I knew a guy who lived on a course. He never had to buy shag balls.) Some courses are truly beautiful and I don't even play anymore so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Man, all these mountain homes 3 hours from me are hitting $1+ million price tag. They were in the 700K a year ago.
Same here in Northern California, Lake Tahoe went up between 30 to 40 per cent in the last year. Now everyone is fleeing Tahoe and surrounding areas duty heavy smoke from the fires with no end in sight.
Eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living on acreage, kinda a trick question for me. Our zipcode is 50 miles long, 5 miles wide, with mountains and national forest and New Mexico, to define it.

In my section (640 acres) there is just us, a family of 3 and 2 Airbnb's. We don't get along with the one neighbor because she doesn't like me walking the dogs without leashes, her kids love the dogs.

My town has maybe 250 residents add another 300 snowbirds, and at times I know most of them, though not so recently.

I am friends with most neighbors within a 3 mile radius of us except for one rancher, who is a "stay of my yard" kinda guy.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar, you have a beautiful place!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I wondered about that too. (I knew a guy who lived on a course. He never had to buy shag balls.) Some courses are truly beautiful and I don't even play anymore so YMMV.
The joy of having a golf course view fades away very quickly if you happen to be in the 'hit zone'. Just need to be very selective when choosing to make sure your golf course home isn't in that zone.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Ronstar, you have a beautiful place!
Thanks, but I'd rather have a ranch like yours!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The joy of having a golf course view fades away very quickly if you happen to be in the 'hit zone'. Just need to be very selective when choosing to make sure your golf course home isn't in that zone.
Yes. My parents were golfers and selected their home just off #14 tee box. Even the most vicious hook couldn't hit their place.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
City House/Country House
Old 08-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

City House/Country House

[ATTACH]Country House.jpg[/ATTACH]

Country house looks out on vineyards and redwoods.

City house looks at the Golden Gate Bridge and the S.F. Bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City House.jpg (56.7 KB, 53 views)
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 40115[/ATTACH]

Country house looks out on vineyards and redwoods.

City house looks at the Golden Gate Bridge and the S.F. Bay.
Nice setting of the Golden Gate Bridge and sunsets to boot!
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
We could have picked a place with a view of the mountains, but most have a not so great view of tick tacky houses and other junk between the house and the mountains. I have know for a long time if you like your view you better own it. Our last place we built as our retirement home 30+ years before we were going to retire. We bough 8 acres of woods and put the house in the middle with a curved drive so you could not see the house. from the road or any other house. We then decided to move to a state with better weather lower taxes and better politics and started over looking for the perfect house or piece of land. Took awhile but we found a place on 7.5 acres of woods that had a National Forest 40 feet out the back door. The drive is 1200 feet long with a 90 degree curve for privacy. When the leaves are off we can sort of see a couple of neighbors but we pretty much own our view and enjoy the mountain views coming and going from our secluded home.
Are you in the Lost State of Franklin--Northeast Tennessee? Life is somewhat slower moving there--where people laugh a lot and where there are so many storytellers. And it's ultra LCOL there.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Are you in the Lost State of Franklin--Northeast Tennessee? Life is somewhat slower moving there--where people laugh a lot and where there are so many storytellers. And it's ultra LCOL there.
Franklin, TN is certainly not slow moving or ultra LCOL. It's the 7th largest city in TN, a bedroom community of Nash Vegas and booming.

Perhaps you mean Franklin NC?
Old 08-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Great thread.

Hey here is a question for those of you who live on acreage: Do you have friendships with neighbors ? Just wonder if being further away helps or hurts neighbor relationships.
Years ago when I was visiting my retired parents in Florida I was sharing with my dad about the acreage we had purchased to build our new home. He asked me "why do you need so much property?" Before I could answer he noticed his "dumb ass" neighbor doing something or another that irritated him... again. He expressed his dissatisfaction and when he was finished I said "that's why we have the acreage".

Our home is in a rather remote area. We have only a few neighbors but we're good friends with all. We visit each other throughout the year and we can count on each other for help if needed.

Most of us have literally built our own houses from the ground up... and we helped each other in the process, much like the old frontier days. We're all much older now and our "barn raising" days are over... but the memories and friendships we share are precious.
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #155
Confused about dryer sheets

Just finished building a place this past March on the coast in Nicaragua.
sunset.jpg
glax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by glax View Post
Attachment 40117
Very Nice.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Southern view from the deck. We can see a long way (12+ miles), but there isn't much in the way of scenery. What can I say, it's Texas.
I'd rather have a view of a water feature, but same as in Texas, here in AZ this is all that I get: view of trees in the surrounding national forest, from the back deck, which is also south facing.

I cannot see 12 miles though. Less than 2 miles away are houses on the other side of the valley. The ground then slopes down to the national forest which extends many miles beyond. A state highway ran through the bottom of the valley, a couple of hundred feet below where I am.

Yes, it can get cold in AZ high country, at 7,000ft.

Average low in the winter is 17F, with record low down to -11F. For comparison, average low in Buffalo, NY, is 18F, and record low is -14F.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sunset
Old 08-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #158
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sunset

It was about ten years ago at our camp at sunrise. We had a 24' RV and a storm was rolling in, we didn't want to be in the RV during a storm, again. I was busy packing our things so we could hit the road. My wife steps out of the RV and says "you are so busy packing you don't see this", that's when I stopped and took the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunrise copy.jpg (599.5 KB, 53 views)
ITTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by glax View Post
Attachment 40117
Omg, that’s incredible! I want to hear more! What took you to Nicaragua?

We have a golf course/hills view. It’s my favorite thing about our location. Will have to find a picture.

ETA, that neither of us actually plays golf!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I'd rather have a view of a water feature, but same as in Texas, here in AZ this is all that I get: view of trees in the surrounding national forest, from the back deck, which is also south facing.

I cannot see 12 miles though. Less than 2 miles away are houses on the other side of the valley. The ground then slopes down to the national forest which extends many miles beyond. A state highway ran through the bottom of the valley, a couple of hundred feet below where I am.

Yes, it can get cold in AZ high country, at 7,000ft.

Average low in the winter is 17F, with record low down to -11F. For comparison, average low in Buffalo, NY, is 18F, and record low is -14F.

I like that a lot, having been born and lived in the west, those setting are home to me.
street is offline   Reply With Quote