Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good grass fed beef and some elk.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Upgrade air travel to Premium Economy when trip is 4 hours
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Good wine and nice bicycles.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Upgrade air travel to Premium Economy when trip is 4 hours
We bought an economy plus subscription this year and ended up using the heck out of it.

Haven't bought general first class tickets yet*, but when they provide inexpensive upgrades to first class on certain legs we usually take it.

*Well, OK, once on a domestic flight, but for once it cost little more than main cabin extra.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only recently (30 days or so) convinced myself that it's OK to spend 50c on a cup of coffee and instead of making my own "dirt cups"* as my DW calls them, I now use an actual new K-cup every time I enjoy a cup of coffee! For several years, I brought home the used ones from the office

And for the record, I personally think that many of indulgences mentioned here are lifetime habits that many of us will actually NEVER change ~ I have always added water to the empty shampoo bottle/hand soap to get more use out of it!....and I just replaced my toothbrush today thank you very much but I honestly can't remember the last time I did....

*dirt cups are where I actually save the USED K-cups, wash them and refill them my own bulk coffee
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, I do not know if we spend differently than we did 10 or 20 years ago.

Going back to 30 or 40 years ago, yes, there would be a big difference.

PS. One thing we spend a lot more on now is gifts and donations.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I have only recently (30 days or so) convinced myself that it's OK to spend 50c on a cup of coffee....
You just reminded me that we did indulge ourselves while in Spain, and finally purchased something we had intended to get for eons:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Beve...spressoPot.htm

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #28
Administrator

Good food and wine. Travel without any particular budgetary constraint.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My little luxury is changing my clothes several times during the day, just because I CAN.

Every day I have nightclothes, comfy/sloppy at-home "retiree clothes", nicer retiree clothes to wear out of the house, fresh comfy/sloppy at-home "retiree clothes" when I get home, and if I go to the gym I also have gym clothes. The reason I don't wear my nightclothes until I go out, is what if somebody rang the doorbell? I need to at least be decent. OK, this adds up to a lot of clothes. My laundry is probably as much as most people would have for a family of four.

When I was working, I just wore the same clothes all day long.
You know the Woody Allen joke, you need to start wearing your underpants on the outside, so we can check that they have been changed.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Event tickets and dining out.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I was talking to a friend about sometimes I feel unnecessarily frugal. Being a "millionaire" but still adding water to the shampoo bottle once it's "empty" because I know I still get a couple more shampoos out of it, for example.

He said he does the "Jerry Lewis" thing, of always wearing new socks. Heck, I've got socks and tee shirts from the Reagan administration.

But I've gone through a lifetime of frugality. Don't I deserve a break? So, I resolved to get rid of a lot but of the really old, discolored stuff. But I'm not going so far as to wear only new.

I decided my indulgence will be to replace my toothbrush every week (they were 20% off at Costco this month). Ok, maybe every month, rather than using it until it is so frayed it looks like Brillo.

Do you have any small luxuries you treat yourself to?
you might want to read this article! It is about how to not let spendaphobia ruin your retirement.

Real Deal Retirement Âŧ Blog Archive Âŧ Don’t Let “Spendaphobia” Spoil Your Retirement
Old 12-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
you might want to read this article! It is about how to not let spendaphobia ruin your retirement.

Real Deal Retirement Âŧ Blog Archive Âŧ Don’t Let “Spendaphobia” Spoil Your Retirement
This may be true for some but at some point for many here I think it is as simple as spending more money does not necessarily equal more happiness. Some people are interested in minimalism and anti-consumerism so buying a lot of stuff would not make them more happy at all.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I nearly always brought lunch from home when I was employed. Now, when I'm in the town where we used to live (about 45 minutes away, so I plan to do multiple things on the same day when I visit), I actually buy myself lunch between errands/appointments or have a Starbucks break.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Sprung for a pair of shoelaces once.
Reminds me, I should get a pair of shoes
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm allowing myself to buy nicer cuts of meat, even if I'm just making a stew with it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Nice cuts of meat may not taste as good in a stew. Connective tissues dissolve in a stew, and the collagen makes a good stew.

See: Stew Science: How to Choose the Best Cuts for Beef Stew | Serious Eats

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Lindor white truffle chocolates.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Woodworking tools and camera stuff.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

To elaborate on my earlier post, we do not indulge in anything more than we did in the last 20 years. The difference is that it used to be that when I spent $150-200 for a dinner, I often felt the remorse later. "Man, that was expensive and it was really not that good". Now, it does not matter that much.

We still do not eat out that often, so there's no change in our habit. And recently, I discovered the fun of finding less well-known Cognac and brandies that taste just as good.

There's more travel, but that's because we now have more time. More quantity, but higher quality? Not sure. Well, maybe we will upgrade it a bit.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
For us it's buying better quality, often organic, ingredients for the food we cook.
Organic foods, and business class, I did rotate a new bag of skives and socks into the dresser drawers.