Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

With no disrespect to the OP and some other posters, IMO, I don't consider going from doing something extremely frugal to doing/buying something that should be standard practice or you kind of need, a luxury. A luxury to me is doing or buying something that's beyond what you really need. However, I can understand different perceptions of what you truly need.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 04:28 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My luxuries are the swim spa, the new deck and my flutes. I bought a new flute, a bass flute, and a piccolo head joint in the space of a year. I'm very happy about these purchases.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I got the promo United club credit card with free membership for a year (i.e. first year annual fee waived). And guess what - we're keeping it. It really made a difference in our flying this year. DH really likes it. Enuff said....
Yeah, I know. In 2000, Continental sent me a couple of complimentary passes because I had Elite status. DH and I used them before we took off on an evening flight to Rio- it was like a giant cocktail party at Newark Airport. We were hooked. We had some airline club pass or other for years, till our air travel slowed down and we were flying Business on the long-hauls anyway, which included lounge access. On one Coach trip to Seattle we bought day passes ($50 each) in both directions.

When my son was a teenager he balked at the idea of some fancy club- then he found out there were comfortable couches and endless snacks. After that he considered it a requisite part of the trip.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
...and stick that sliver of soap to the next, new bar.....}
I still do that too. Somehow it just seems wasteful. I expect I'm saving, oh, a few dollars every YEAR.

Some habits die hard.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #125

The real test of frugality is the toothpaste tube. I have been known to cut it apart near the top to get the last few squeezes. And we switch out the wasteful caps that open for the old style screw-on caps.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I got the promo United club credit card with free membership for a year (i.e. first year annual fee waived). And guess what - we're keeping it. It really made a difference in our flying this year. DH really likes it. Enuff said....
But, But, you have fly United and get points on United !!
Man do I have bad karma with that airline,
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I found a 1.75l bottle of Bushmills Black Iris whiskey at a little Liquor store yesterday for $39. That is a good deal. Not as good as a single pot, but not too bad for the price.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Not much of a luxury, but I ordered my first bottle of booze over the Internet for the 1st time, instead of buying locally.

I need a bottle of Cocchi Americano to make Vesper Martini (James Bond's or rather Ian Fleming's recipe). The original recipe called for Kina Lillet, but that was long discontinued by its maker. It is said that Cocchi Americano is the closest to the original Lillet, but it is not for sale anywhere in Arizona.

So, I splurged and paid $10 for shipping from out of state. I shopped around, and some places wanted $20 for shipping cost.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Sitting in our outdoor hot tub when it is 10F air temp and the tub is at 109F. The 10 foot walk to it is roughing it, sya DW.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

I pick up fresh flowers from the grocery store every few weeks. Also, stopping at Starbucks a few times a week feels like a wonderful little luxury to me.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #131

Three times a week I treat myself to a chocogasm by consuming an entire Whole Foods 365 Organic 56% Cacao dark chocolate bar with hot tea. For those of you who have never experienced a chocogasm, you should be aware that it has several advantages over an orgasm: (1) lasts much longer (3-4 hours); (2) it's a lot less messy; and (3) there is no chance of acquiring a sexually transmitted disease.

I have gradually built up a stockpile of $100 worth of chocolate bars in my frig in case of a strike or some other chocolate supply interruption. It may sound like I have a serious substance dependency, but I assure you that I can quit any time (after completing a 6-week rehab program ).
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #132

"Three times a week I treat myself to a chocogasm by consuming an entire Whole Foods 365 Organic 56% Cacao dark chocolate bar with hot tea."

I'm putting that one on the grocery list!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
well, pretty much only two options here, and American flights are less convenient most of the time.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
"Three times a week I treat myself to a chocogasm by consuming an entire Whole Foods 365 Organic 56% Cacao dark chocolate bar with hot tea."

I'm putting that one on the grocery list!
The chocogasm is even more intense and long-lasting at higher cacao levels (e.g. 72%, 80%, even 90%), but these bars are too bitter for my taste. A 72% cacao bar has a good chance of costing me an entire night's sleep!

I may be especially sensitive to theobromine, so YMMV. Enjoy!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #135
Dryer sheet aficionado

We went to Napa this past September and stocked up our wine rack with wines we cannot buy locally. Then went out to celebrate my sister's and my birthdays about 4 weeks ago and I ordered a $200 bottle of Caymus. I think DW is still ticked at me for that one.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I hate ordering wine in restaurants, where they mark the price up to 3x what you can get retail. Of course, not too many allow you to bring your own bottle and just charge a corkage fee.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Reminds me of this video:

Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Reminds me of this video:
Love it! I listened to the whole thing and they are SO right - - United should have reimbursed them after breaking that Taylor guitar. Loved the song that came out of that experience and I'll be humming it all day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I hate ordering wine in restaurants, where they mark the price up to 3x what you can get retail. Of course, not too many allow you to bring your own bottle and just charge a corkage fee.
I agree- I'd much rather spend all my $$ on the wine, rather than the wine plus the service and the ambience, so I buy better wine and scotch to enjoy at home.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to order a $200 bottle of wine despite knowing that Total Wine has it for $60. You want it with the meal now, for the occasion and with the right company. There's something to be said for that.

It's just that I am not that rich to enjoy this luxury. It does not break the bank, but I am too frugal to splurge like that.

So, I order a $40 bottle ( knowing that the restaurant pays $12 for it).