Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spell checkers enough said!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
15/15 - I'm sure a harder test would yield different results. Of course the imperfect speller might have other talents, like...politician. Taters anyone?
There's more to the potato/potatoe story than most people know (like so many topics these days - people live by the sound bite):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle#.22Potatoe.22

Quote:
"Potatoe"
On June 15, 1992, Quayle altered 12-year-old student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" to "potatoe" at the Muņoz Rivera Elementary School spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey.[19][20] Quayle was widely lambasted for his error. According to The New York Times[21] and Quayle's memoirs, he was relying on cards provided by the school, which Quayle says included the misspelling. Quayle said he was uncomfortable with the version he gave, but did so because he decided to trust the school's incorrect written materials instead of his own judgment.
I had also read that he thought it would be bad form to try to correct the school, so he just went with what the spelling they provided. While there might be some general correlation between capability and spelling ability, I'm sure there are very many very capable people who are poor spellers. Dan Quayle may or may not be one of them

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
imoldernu posted this a while back:

Quote:
Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the way.
My checker told me sew.
-ERD50
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
imoldernu posted this a while back:

-ERD50

Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I got all 15, but in a couple of instances, I chose the correct spelling because the other two looked more wrong.
Yeah, I'm a pretty good speller, but mostly I think it's because I read so much, so I just visually recognize correctly spelled words. However, I've noticed that these days many books have incorrectly used words, I think because they count on spell checkers instead of proof readers. The spelling of the word is correct, but it's the wrong homonym.

Also, in writing this post I used the word recognize, but I used (as I always have) the British spelling with the s instead of the z. The word processor changed it to z, even though in my opinion either should be acceptable. I'm becoming decidedly annoyed by know-it-all computers.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
Administrator

On a related note - does anyone still use a real paper dictionary? I keep one in my office, and just last week used it to look up an unfamiliar word in The Economist (griot).
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
On a related note - does anyone still use a real paper dictionary? I keep one in my office, and just last week used it to look up an unfamiliar word in The Economist (griot).
As a kid I would look up a word in the dictionary, then end up reading the entire page or two. Good way to learn words, and you don't get that from googling a spelling/definition. I used to do the same thing with encyclopedia entries. I would end up reading multiple pages after I looked up whatever I was after. I sort of miss that from the paper versions.

Having said that, I got rid of my paper dictionary and thesaurus when I cleaned out my cube 10 years ago. I might have one somewhere in a box, but I couldn't find it if I wanted it right now.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I got all 15, but in a couple of instances, I chose the correct spelling because the other two looked more wrong.
This was me, also.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't spell worth a krap and really don't care that much.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
As a kid I would look up a word in the dictionary, then end up reading the entire page or two. Good way to learn words, and you don't get that from googling a spelling/definition. I used to do the same thing with encyclopedia entries. I would end up reading multiple pages after I looked up whatever I was after. I sort of miss that from the paper versions.

Having said that, I got rid of my paper dictionary and thesaurus when I cleaned out my cube 10 years ago. I might have one somewhere in a box, but I couldn't find it if I wanted it right now.
For me, that seems to be even more of an attraction with on-line sources. If I go to an on-line dictionary, or more likely wiki, or even youtube, there are all the links to related content. For a dictionary, the derivation of the word, synonyms, antonyms. For wiki I might look up an item, and they list the countries that produce that item, so I click on that country, and they mention x,y,z and an hour later I don't even remember where I started.

I used to have a paperback dictionary on my desk, I also haven't seen it in many years.

-ERD50
Old 10-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #31

I'm one of the dinosaurs that still has two dictionaries on hand. One is the compact edition of the OED (needs a magnifying glass to read) and the other is Webster's Third unabridged. I still enjoy leafing through them, and when I look something up in the OED I thoroughly enjoy all the history and etymology.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
etymology.
The study of insects is quite fascinating isn't it?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #33

Hmm... I missed two on the test. Had I gone with my first choices on those two I would have been 15/15. Even at 13/15 the test score indicated spelling OCD.

Fun test but most of these words were clearly spelled incorrectly! OOPS - there goes my old-school spelling background.

I always liked the following spelling/grammar phrase:

They're going there in their car.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The study of insects is quite fascinating isn't it?
I'm always afraid I'll make that error, hence I tend to avoid it, and use terms like:

'the derivation of the word'

I may not be educated enough to remember the proper use of entomology versus etymology, but I'm smart enough to know I don't know!

Hmmm, 'ent' sounds like 'ant' - maybe I can remember it going forward!

-ERD50
Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

15/15, but it could have been harder. In school as a kid, spelling correctly was taught as important. Most of my spelling errors now are because of my bad typing, not because of my knowledge for the correct spelling of a word. Spell-checker does help catch mistyped words, assuming the mistype is not another real word. As imoldernu's paragraph states.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
NO doubt. I know I have really messed up when it comes up with no choices.....................
Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have one on the bookshelf here but rarely use it. If I'm sitting at the keyboard it's just faster & easier to search on the word rather than go through the rigors of getting up out the chair, taking a step to the bookcase, opening the dictionary and looking it up.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Proud owner of 12/15 for this test. Wouldn't want to be too perfect.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

15/15. I had high hopes that my excellent spelling would take me far in life.....
Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
A man after my own heart. When I was a kid, my brother and I fished an old set of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias out of the dumpster. I spent hours and hours reading them.