Do you have spelling OCD?

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm not sure that do, although I scored 15/15 in the quiz. I thought it was actually pretty easy. I think it's actually more an issue of having been schooled before spell checkers existed. See how you do.

I don't consider myself a good speller, but not terrible. It was pretty easy, but I still managed to get 2 wrong - I think I'm a long way from being considered OCD when it comes to spelling though.

-ERD50

Got two wrong, bad me!

15/15 but I don't consider myself OCD otherwise I'd spend hours every day correcting the spelling on online forums. (not this site of course where everyone spells purfectly well)

Ashamed to admit I actually got one wrong (I said sieze instead of seize).

But I would like to point out that you shouldn't use the acronym OCD.
The preferred form is CDO, because if you really have it, you insist on the letters being in alphabetical order. :cool:

I got all 15, but in a couple of instances, I chose the correct spelling because the other two looked more wrong. :blush:

Last edited:
'i' before 'e' except after 'c'....... I'm so proud I remembered my grammar school rules .......unfortunately it bit my 'arse' in my life of 'leisure':dance:

15/15, and I am proud of being a spelling and grammar nazi.

Stupendous erudition abounds!

Wow, I remember stuff from grade school! Not OCD about it though and I'm grateful for spell checkers.

When you are dyslexic like me, you can really get in trouble spelling.

I dew to.

15/15 - I'm sure a harder test would yield different results. Of course the imperfect speller might have other talents, like...politician. Taters anyone?

Some people might just have Multiple Choice Test OCD, not Spelling OCD....

Spell checkers :dance: enough said!

15/15 - I'm sure a harder test would yield different results. Of course the imperfect speller might have other talents, like...politician. Taters anyone?

There's more to the potato/potatoe story than most people know (like so many topics these days - people live by the sound bite):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Quayle#.22Potatoe.22

"Potatoe"
On June 15, 1992, Quayle altered 12-year-old student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" to "potatoe" at the Muñoz Rivera Elementary School spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey.[19][20] Quayle was widely lambasted for his error. According to The New York Times[21] and Quayle's memoirs, he was relying on cards provided by the school, which Quayle says included the misspelling. Quayle said he was uncomfortable with the version he gave, but did so because he decided to trust the school's incorrect written materials instead of his own judgment.

I had also read that he thought it would be bad form to try to correct the school, so he just went with what the spelling they provided. While there might be some general correlation between capability and spelling ability, I'm sure there are very many very capable people who are poor spellers. Dan Quayle may or may not be one of them ;)

-ERD50

Spell checkers :dance: enough said!

imoldernu posted this a while back:

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the way.
My checker told me sew.

-ERD50

I got all 15, but in a couple of instances, I chose the correct spelling because the other two looked more wrong. :blush:

Yeah, I'm a pretty good speller, but mostly I think it's because I read so much, so I just visually recognize correctly spelled words. However, I've noticed that these days many books have incorrectly used words, I think because they count on spell checkers instead of proof readers. The spelling of the word is correct, but it's the wrong homonym.

Also, in writing this post I used the word recognize, but I used (as I always have) the British spelling with the s instead of the z. The word processor changed it to z, even though in my opinion either should be acceptable. I'm becoming decidedly annoyed by know-it-all computers.

Back
Top Bottom