Do You Like Living Alone?

I am seeing 5 condos on Thursday and really excited about it. My realtor has done nothing in 3 weeks so I got rid of her. My new one I called on Monday started finding me places within a hour of calling. My ex’s loan probably will close in 2-3 weeks but 3/8 at the very latest. Good thing we are still living together because I have kept him on track to get everything to them timely. This is the last time I will have to supervise him:)). Yesterday the divorce was final. I can’t wait to be in my new home with my doggies. 2020 was a interesting year as I lost 30lbs, got off one of my high blood pressure medications and shed a husband:)). Anyway I am totally looking forward to being the queen of my own little castle!

I met Frank through one of those online dating websites a couple of years after my divorce. Before I began dating again, I devoted a year or two to some truly intensive meditation, trying to figure out what went wrong, and what I actually wanted in life so that I wouldn't end up miserable like I was in my marriage.

Consequently, on the very FIRST date, before I had even told Frank my contact information, I told him that:

1) If he wanted a wife or a live-in girlfriend, move on, and
2) No mixing of his money and mine.
3) These rules limit intermingling of finances, but do not require any limits on how loving and emotionally committed to one another we might wish to become.

Number 2 above was because I wanted to retire and was in the middle of starting over after a financially disastrous divorce. I couldn't afford to get too loose and easy with my money.

Frank was a widower, and I was a divorcee, so we had each BTDT when it came to marriage and neither of us was looking for a spouse.

Anyway, Frank liked what I was suggesting, mostly because his dead wife had been a spender and because he had heard too many stories about gold-diggers and bad divorce settlements from his buddies. We are both still happy with these boundaries.

I really think you have done this the right way. While the arrangement I have with my DW (talk about luck!) if my situation was different, I would have an arrangement like yours.

I have been with my DW for almost 15 years (we dated for a year, lived together after year two and married after year three) and we have kept finances separate (for the most part) and have a pretty through pre-nup in case things don't work out.

If we weren't together, I couldn't really imagine living with someone again. After my first marriage ended in divorce, I thoroughly enjoyed my "alone time" and there are times when I miss that.

I am seeing 5 condos on Thursday and really excited about it. My realtor has done nothing in 3 weeks so I got rid of her. My new one I called on Monday started finding me places within a hour of calling. My ex’s loan probably will close in 2-3 weeks but 3/8 at the very latest. Good thing we are still living together because I have kept him on track to get everything to them timely. This is the last time I will have to supervise him:)). Yesterday the divorce was final. I can’t wait to be in my new home with my doggies. 2020 was a interesting year as I lost 30lbs, got off one of my high blood pressure medications and shed a husband:)). Anyway I am totally looking forward to being the queen of my own little castle!

Such good news TT!!! So happy you are getting some traction w/ the new Realtor and your divorce is finally FINAL. It sounds like the next chapter of your life can finally begin!!! :)

Reactions: W2R
I have never lived alone except for several months between moving out of my parents house and getting married. Even then my girlfriend was with me almost every day, so I was never truly alone.

Despite being a major introvert, I am not the type of person who would enjoy living alone. If something were to happen to my wife I would certainly be open to another relationship. On the other hand, I don't like to socialize and never had much luck meeting girls, so my odds of finding a new partner at my age now is slim at best. So I would probably spend the rest of my life single whether I wanted to or not.

My wife and I have been together 39 years. We started young and grew old together learning to accept each others oddities. It would be very difficult to start over with someone new.

This literally just happened: I heard DW scream for help. Rushed into the BR and found her with her fingers stuck under the window. (Don't ask.) She could NOT extricate herself without help. Was just thinking, no button would have saved her. YMMV

The story I like best is from DW's nephew and his then-new bride. At the time she had nearly waist-length hair and while vacuuming with the upright vacuum cleaner under a bed had managed to get her hair tangled up in the brush/roller on the vacuum cleaner. She was able to call him at work and persuaded him that he really, really, needed to come home RIGHT NOW.

Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately for him) he did not have the presence of mind to take pictures.:LOL:

Walt, that has to be extremely painful. Did they end up having to cut her hair to get it out?

That poor girl.
Frankly I can't imagine being able to reach and use my phone to call about a vacuum cleaner attack, yet being unable to reach and manipulate the roller. Presumably all of her limbs were free? For one thing, the time spent waiting for help to arrive would be torture on top of torture.

The story I like best is from DW's nephew and his then-new bride. At the time she had nearly waist-length hair and while vacuuming with the upright vacuum cleaner under a bed had managed to get her hair tangled up in the brush/roller on the vacuum cleaner. She was able to call him at work and persuaded him that he really, really, needed to come home RIGHT NOW.

Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately for him) he did not have the presence of mind to take pictures.:LOL:

That poor girl.
Frankly I can't imagine being able to reach and use my phone to call about a vacuum cleaner attack, yet being unable to reach and manipulate the roller. Presumably all of her limbs were free? For one thing, the time spent waiting for help to arrive would be torture on top of torture.

This seems like it should be a plotline on that lamer then lame Fox 911..

That behavior is explained by a woman's innate birthin' pain tolerance and desire to avoid a rescue worker cutting off her hair.

Another thought about living alone besides my propensity to harm myself; hygiene. Men are much less likely to stay clean if single. I remember it was easy to spot the single men at work, they were the ones with arm pit stains on their shirts and wrinkled pants. They did laundry, just really badly.

I know when DW takes trips to visit family or travel, usually 2 to 3 weeks at a time, I enjoy not having to keep myself as tidy. I'll wear the same clothes for several days, maybe skip brushing teeth when I don't feel like it, not shave, etc.

Then there's the whole 'eating over the sink' thing. I tend to graze when batching it when she's gone and left overs are usually barely warmed up in a microwave before eating out of the storage container. Meals are ready-made things unless it's grilled on the BBQ. If I am left to do my shopping, first in the cart is donuts for breakfast, bacon for all other meals.

Without a doubt, if I were to find myself single and living alone again, no self respecting woman would WANT me for a partner no matter what my wishes were.

Walt, that has to be extremely painful. Did they end up having to cut her hair to get it out?

She said it was more embarrassing than painful although some hair did get pulled out. He didn't have to cut any hair, he was able to unwind it from the roller enough so there was room to remove the roller from the vacuum and disentangle from there.

This was ~18 years ago so it's something they laugh about now. And she keeps her hair much shorter now too. Not gonna make that mistake again!

I just have this mental image of a very glum-looking girl sitting on the floor with a vacuum cleaner stuck to the side of her head waiting for rescue.:LOL:

Weren't you the one who referenced my supposed "birthin'" hips?

You should change your screen name to "Bertha N." :LOL:

That behavior is explained by a woman's innate birthin' pain tolerance and desire to avoid a rescue worker cutting off her hair.

Looked at 4 condos today and made a offer on one on the 11th floor with awesome views and 2 balconies. Will know by tomorrow at 3 if it’s accepted. It’s in a secure building with parking underneath in a garage. My spot would be close to the elevator. Very excited.

Looked at 4 condos today and made a offer on one on the 11th floor with awesome views and 2 balconies. Will know by tomorrow at 3 if it’s accepted. It’s in a secure building with parking underneath in a garage. My spot would be close to the elevator. Very excited.

Good luck. Hope you get it.

An option I’ve discussed with some girlfriends is a “Golden Girls” type arrangement. In our dream case scenario, we would buy land, each of us would build a small casita type home with shared green spaces.
Group of 4 women, 2 married, 1 divorced and one single.
This would happen later in life after we were widows (based on statistics). No firm plans, just a what if discussions.
I like the idea of my own space but also a built in network of back up when needed. Just a dream really

An option I’ve discussed with some girlfriends is a “Golden Girls” type arrangement. In our dream case scenario, we would buy land, each of us would build a small casita type home with shared green spaces.
Group of 4 women, 2 married, 1 divorced and one single.
This would happen later in life after we were widows (based on statistics). No firm plans, just a what if discussions.
I like the idea of my own space but also a built in network of back up when needed. Just a dream really

Not just a dream! Google “co-housing.”

Fingers crossed this works out!

I got the condo! It’s move in ready which is awesome. Usually I have to remodel before moving in. I am so happy:)).

I got the condo! It’s move in ready which is awesome. Usually I have to remodel before moving in. I am so happy:)).

Congratulations!! I'm actually excited for/with you! Purchasing a home is EXCITING!!!

Last edited:
Congrats and here's to a happy new life and home!

Back
Top Bottom