Do you play the piano?

<SNIP>

So, what's your piano story?

As long as I have memory, my mom had a spinet piano. She played for enjoyment, stress relief and played for church, weddings, etc. I did take lessons and had 'some' talent. I didn't practice much and dropped it in mid teens.

My mom worked in the family business and had little time to play. But every time she played, from the time I was 4, I would beg her to play NOLA.

When mom died, just about the only thing of hers that I wanted was her piano. NOT the best of "keepsakes." Even a spinet weighs a ton (well, 2 or 3 hundred pounds - I once saw two football player "movers" pick it up and set it on the dolly.)

We had to move the piano 3 times. I probably didn't play it 10 times in the 8 years before we got rid of it. I wouldn't have sold it. But a young girl in our church could not afford a piano. She had to use a keyboard which (I would agree) "just isn't the same." SO I gave the piano to her - as long as 4 strong guys from the church would come move it to her house. So, that's my piano story and YMMV.

I've been so moved by all your interesting piano playing stories! And VERY especially the classical piano playing. I enjoyed you all so much, THANK YOU!!! I always adored the sound of this instrument but never could learn it - too poor even to buy a radio!

But I was born singing whatever I heard from next door radio playing until...I heard a soprano singing those gorgeous musicals and opera arias for the first time in my life which filled me with indescribable ecstasy!!! I’d try singing along with those exquisite voices and I was happy doing just that.

As a young adult I was able to take a few voice lessons and was lucky to have found a small opera co. where I won the contest for the leading singer in the operas there and in other small opera companies. Later got very busy with recital and concert work. What does this have to do with playing piano?

That all throughout my happy singing life I had never forgotten my love of the piano sound, so in between the tiny time I had available, I took a few lessons now and then but not enough time to practice so I started reading (very slow) the easiest music I could find and was able to learn how to play (only by heart haha!) easy classical pieces, and with a great young girl teacher I was able to put together a little program which I played for an audience for the first time at the teacher’s Studio Recital (just family and friends of the other players) lol!

Now as an old lady, I wish I had never given away all of my music scores because singing was an immense source of comfort to me especially in moments of melancholy when I’d sing to myself an aria or two and it would feel so great. BUT, I kept my piano music in the hopes of taking it up and I will try so I can fulfill my 2nd dream of being able to play Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart and so many other Master Composers. I envy you all who are enjoying this magnificent art of the classical piano!
KUDOS TO ALL OF YOU!!! 😊

I’m very psyched because I’ve finally learned Debussy’s Arabesque #1 for piano. It’s quite challenging with some very tricky timing, particularly triplets against eighth notes. I’ve been working on it for quite a while.

Memorized the whole thing so I can really enjoy playing it. Still rough in parts and needs lots more practice for a smooth performance.

IMO it’s one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for piano.

I recently added two more rags to my repertoire. Well, not exactly. I play only the first half of those rags, like one of the existing 6 I play. The second halves of those 3 rags I don't like (and they are way too difficult), and have no desire to simplify them. So I am up to 8 now. This leaves only 3, which I may or may not take up at some point.

A few months ago, I added one more rag. It's one which appeared in "The Sting." Solace was the song in the background when Hooker (Robert Redford) was pursuing the waitress in the coffee shop (who turned out to be a hitwoman). Only part of the song was in the movie, as I would learn years later when I saw the full sheet music and heard the song in its entirety. I play only the part heard in the movie.

I am up to 9 now, of the 11 played in the 1980s and 1990s. That leaves me with 2 remaining, if I decide to pursue them.

Nice update!

Adding to my Debussy repertoire - working on Reverie, easier than Arabesque #1 but still a bit of work to learn.

I added several Chopin pieces last year.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - the Lang Lang arrangement. Had it down but now having to relearn. My repertoire has gotten large and I’m struggling keeping it up where I can play them all sans music.

A few months ago, I added one more rag. It's one which appeared in "The Sting." Solace was the song in the background when Hooker (Robert Redford) was pursuing the waitress in the coffee shop (who turned out to be a hitwoman). Only part of the song was in the movie, as I would learn years later when I saw the full sheet music and heard the song in its entirety. I play only the part heard in the movie.

I am up to 9 now, of the 11 played in the 1980s and 1990s. That leaves me with 2 remaining, if I decide to pursue them.

I like SOLACE for it's restrained and subtle sound. Well placed in THE STING.

How about Maple Leaf Rag?

I surely play that one, going back to the early 1980s. It wasn't in "The Sting," so I had to buy the sheet music separately from the booklet I had (pictured in Koolau's Youtube clip) already.

I was stunned to hear Alicia Keys play the first part that during her awesome 2-piano medley in the 2019(?) Grammys. I wonder if she can play the whole thing.

I surely play that one, going back to the early 1980s. It wasn't in "The Sting," so I had to buy the sheet music separately from the booklet I had (pictured in Koolau's Youtube clip) already.

I was stunned to hear Alicia Keys play the first part that during her awesome 2-piano medley in the 2019(?) Grammys. I wonder if she can play the whole thing.
Great. It’s in the Lang Lang Piano Book I have. Hmmm, might have to add it to the list.

I just restarted lessons in January after a 55-year break. I started age 11 and took lessons for about 14 months until we moved from my hometown.

When I restarted music a couple of years later, in school, I started on the French horn and oboe and continued though junior high and high school.

My parents moved around a LOT in 44 years, but as much as they left things behind with each successive move, they diligently transported my Conover spinet each time.

I finally got it in my home and it’s moved around a couple more times.

After our house flooded in 2021 and everything got emptied out of our house, I thought I’d cull the furniture that survived before the move back in date.

I thought, “OK, now is my chance to let that piano go.”

But I could not do it. My mom and dad took over someone’s payments so I could have it and then lugged that heavy sucker around the country so I could keep it.

I felt ill just thinking about jettisoning it!

On move back in day, the door of the moving truck opened and the piano was the first thing I saw. It brought tears — of joy, not distress!—to my eyes and was the first thing back in the house.

I decided then to start lessons when things settled down, and I now walk up the hill and one street over, just like when I was in 5th grade, to take my weekly lesson.

I hope I live long enough to play Debussy!

I’m working my way through John Thompson’s First Grade book to fill in memory potholes and have been practicing Schumann’s “Melody” from the Third Grade book and have it by memory, most of the time.

And still stumbling along on my small accordion.
I made a break from lessons last year but still practice and play several times each week.
And I enjoy it a lot.[emoji3]

And still stumbling along on my small accordion.
I made a break from lessons last year but still practice and play several times each week.
And I enjoy it a lot.[emoji3]

The accordion gets a bad rap sometimes but I think it’s a very cool and unique instrument.

[ADDED] I might be wrong but I think The Beatles used one on “We Can Work It Out”!

Last edited:
The accordion gets a bad rap sometimes but I think it’s a very cool and unique instrument.

I never understood why it fell out of general favor. Some think it's "square" but it's a whole orchestra in one box. Some accordions have dozens of orchestral sounds available. It's really amazing to watch a virtuoso play the accordion. It can be solo or in a band and adds a lot (Oh, and you don't need any electricity to make it w*rk!)

I just restarted lessons in January after a 55-year break. I started age 11 and took lessons for about 14 months until we moved from my hometown.

When I restarted music a couple of years later, in school, I started on the French horn and oboe and continued though junior high and high school.

My parents moved around a LOT in 44 years, but as much as they left things behind with each successive move, they diligently transported my Conover spinet each time.

I finally got it in my home and it’s moved around a couple more times.

After our house flooded in 2021 and everything got emptied out of our house, I thought I’d cull the furniture that survived before the move back in date.

I thought, “OK, now is my chance to let that piano go.”

But I could not do it. My mom and dad took over someone’s payments so I could have it and then lugged that heavy sucker around the country so I could keep it.

I felt ill just thinking about jettisoning it!

On move back in day, the door of the moving truck opened and the piano was the first thing I saw. It brought tears — of joy, not distress!—to my eyes and was the first thing back in the house.

I decided then to start lessons when things settled down, and I now walk up the hill and one street over, just like when I was in 5th grade, to take my weekly lesson.

I hope I live long enough to play Debussy!

I’m working my way through John Thompson’s First Grade book to fill in memory potholes and have been practicing Schumann’s “Melody” from the Third Grade book and have it by memory, most of the time.
What a great story - thanks for sharing!

I never understood why it fell out of general favor. Some think it's "square" but it's a whole orchestra in one box. Some accordions have dozens of orchestral sounds available. It's really amazing to watch a virtuoso play the accordion. It can be solo or in a band and adds a lot (Oh, and you don't need any electricity to make it w*rk!)

I agree. I really should pay more attention to where and on what one is used.

Self-correction: The Beatles used a “harmonium”.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom