Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

October brings the best weather to New Orleans. Still, I love every season here. I don't love hurricanes, but as long as the tropical weather stays away, summers are fine. I'd like to experience several hundred more, at least, but I don't think that is very likely.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Northern California here. I rejoice in the long days, the cool mornings, my garden, both ornamental and edible. We love hiking in the high country, above treeline, and the window for that is small-this year even smaller with all the snow in the High Sierra. Other joys of summer are kayaking on our beautiful California lakes, camping and swimming in lakes and rivers, road trips, etc. etc. That said, my favorite season is Fall, for the cooler temps, the Fall color in the mountains, and the ability to recreate in the desert again without burning up.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love being outdoors, so I don't let the different seasons change that.......to an extent. When it gets especially hot and/or humid, I'll get out early in the day or early evening, and hibernate in air conditioning in between.
But temperature aside, one thing I don't like about summer is that the streets and nearby county park (where I spend a lot of my time) are more crowded because school is not in session.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #24

I rejoice every day! DW and I have been so blessed over the years.

I can't stand the humidity and heat here in Grapetown, I am able to work around it. Yes, up by 6, coffee in the morning, with the computer reading online WSJ, papers and magazines, breakfast at 8. I w@rk for DW now, so wine and weather dictates the chores for the day beginning at 830. She allows me to quit at 4, eat lunch, and take a "fiver" whenever I need it.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
Administrator

The young wife is a high school teacher -- of course we rejoice in the summer.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Summer comes in overnight in Chicago, it seems--it came in Friday. It leaves almost as fast in early September. Shortest season, but my favorite.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #27

Snow bird, Northerners.
Spring-Summer-Fall-repeat.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Summer is the only season I'm willing to spend in the Midwest. It is often too hot and too humid, but at least it isn't cold. I like the long days at the 40s latitudes. Back in the Islands, summer days are longer than winter, but not nearly as long as at the higher latitudes. Summer is a good time in the Midwest because all the activities are concentrated into 3 to 4 months (Citizens Band, parades, fairs, car shows, picnics, etc.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Hmmm. You made me think. I live in a place that some people think of as the land of perpetual summer, but it's much more subtle than that.

May and June are the gray days of summer. Don't need long sleeves, but it's not really hot, and unless we go a couple miles inland, we usually won't see the sun until it sinks below the high overcast layer in the late afternoon. This time of year has its own charm and I enjoy the cooler days before summer really sets in, but these months also tend to attract a lot of whiny tourists who didn't check the forecast and are disappointed that they aren't getting a tan at the beach.

July and August are sunny, noisy, crowded, lively. Concerts in the park, 4th of July parades, fireworks most nights, traffic on the main drag, busy sidewalks, lines at all the restaurants.

September and October are our "second summer". Tourists are mostly gone, weather is perfect. These are the long lazy days of summer that I rejoice at.

I also love "bonus summer". That's the week that comes along most years in January or February when the temps suddenly go up to the high 70s or low 80s after a few colder days and the whole city just seems happy.

You must live in CA? If not this sounds very similar to So CA. I also love Nov. - Indian summer driven by warm Santa Ana winds.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You must live in CA? If not this sounds very similar to So CA. I also love Nov. - Indian summer driven by warm Santa Ana winds.
Yes, we're on the coast, second town north of Mexico.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fall is my favorite season in Northern NV. Partway through summer it will get pretty hot. Although the nights always cool own. Mostly bug less here which I love.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote