Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #61
gone traveling

We have a peninsula with 15" overhang on 41" wide. Long enough for 3 high chairs that slide in within 6" of counter. Designed to not interfere with walking path behind chairs to family room. Only place we eat unless having guests. Also great serving table for buffet. Alas, the latter two aren't happening now. We see islands & wonder why unless have huge kitchen for some reason.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We had a peninsula at our condo. Raised countertop with 4 barstools. We always sat there to eat. Probably used the kitchen table for less than 5% of our meals.
Yes.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
We see islands & wonder why unless have huge kitchen for some reason.
Our kitchen is 500+ sqft. The island offers ~36 sqft. of uninterrupted counter top space for the young wife to use when she cooks. And she often uses every inch of it.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No island, but do have a small peninsula, two chairs. Use it every day.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I like seeing all of these kitchen pics. It's sort of the same as seeing all of the homes of our favorite journalists, now reporting from home. A glimpse into the life of some of our posters is kind of the same thing. ....
It's interesting.

Some of these kitchens look to be worth the value of our entire house, very nice.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a two level "peninsula. I sit at it every single day, unless I have guests - I have a small dining room for them. Although, when my mother visited, we both used it. She liked it. I love the convenience. For me, it takes the place of the eat-in-kitchen with kitchen table.

One important point - my seating level is at "kitchen chair" height, NOT stools. I am SO glad it is at this level. It's very comfortable for paying bills or other sorts of short-term paperwork. Also comfortable for some kitchen prep, although I usually stand at the counter for that. I keep all my counters and this extension as clear as possible. It has a radio and a notepad on it, that's all.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

For me, the kitchen makes sense as a dough-blowing place, since I spend so much time there. Even before the Pandemic, I prepared 98% of our food (we ate out rarely).

I want to have things in there that I enjoy looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It's interesting.

Some of these kitchens look to be worth the value of our entire house, very nice.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #68

We’ve got a 9’ island with an overhang on the back side and 4 barstools with backs. We use it everyday for eating and food prep and other various tasks/projects.

When we entertain, it is usually the center of the gathering, with drinks, snacks and conversation. We frequently pull out one or two folding stools to accommodate more guests. We have a two-zone wine fridge (one side for red, one side for white) built into the island, so it really lends itself to wine drinking with our guests.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a 2 level with 3 bar stools in our old place. It was used whenever we entertained but never otherwise. I'm about to buy a place and redo the kitchen. I am considering a counter level peninsula with no overhang or seating to maximize cabinets underneath and countertop above.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

All our meals are either at the island or in front of the TV. We can sit 4 and have two more stools we pull out when we need them. Beyond that it is snack trays or porch if we have more people to feed.
Jeb-NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #71

We don’t have an island now but in our other home we had an island with lots of cabinets on one side plus spaces for wine bottles and on the other side we had seating for 2. Then at one end it was a rounded bistro table with seating for 3 more people.

The 3 benches around the bistro area had backs And the other two benches did not and fit neatly under the counter. They were across from the fridge in the photo but you can’t see them since they are tucked under.

The cabinets and wine compartments in the island faced the kitchen sink area.

This said, I did not sit at it for my meals because I have short legs and it was not comfortable for me. So I always sat at the dining room table. My husband, however, always sat at it for his meals.

Our company always loved sitting around the island to have their drinks and snacks and so forth.

I might add we could see the TV from the island and my husband liked that also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2141FE16-E162-4DF1-9C83-5F6E182A613E.jpeg (79.2 KB, 29 views)
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Our kitchen is 500+ sqft. The island offers ~36 sqft. of uninterrupted counter top space for the young wife to use when she cooks. And she often uses every inch of it.
Sounds good for a 4' square pizza.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't scanned thru all the posts so I apologize if someone has already thought of this.

On the Gardenweb Kitchens forum (now hosted by Houzz) we discuss these kinds of details all the time. Much depends on how much use YOU think you are going to get out of island seating.

The one detail with island seating that is essential is aisle clearance space. When those chairs/stools are pulled out, is there enough room for other people to pass behind them comfortably?

If you think you will use the seating, do it - just make sure the design actually works "in real time".

NEVER do anything in a kitchen - arguably the most expensive and important room in a remodel - because somebody else with no design or RE credentials tells you "everybody's doing it".

If they can tell you what "everybody" is going to be doing in 10, 15, or 20 yrs when you go to sell your house, THEN you can take their advice.
zippy2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #74

We use our island to sit around on various occasions like parties or wine tastings. DW and I may use it as we cook, eat, and sip dinner once and a while.

When we remodeled the kitchen 12 years back, we bought extra cabinets that I beefed up on the bottom and installed 4 refrigerator moving casters. They are about 8-10 inches long, low profile and hold a lot of weight. When we put the quartz counter tops on everything, we put it on the mobile cabinets also. It has a 8" overhang on one side, the stainless trash can is under it, and we have a 12 overhang on the other side with one stool. If we need more seats, we grab a few more stools from downstairs to add, or bring in 4 hightop chairs from deck. We have a dining room table and a kitchen table that seats 12 each, a mobile island that seats 6, a deck table that seats 4, and 2 portable deck railing tables that will set 4. I we need more seats than that, I'm renting a hall.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For me, the kitchen makes sense as a dough-blowing place, since I spend so much time there. Even before the Pandemic, I prepared 98% of our food (we ate out rarely).

I want to have things in there that I enjoy looking at.
Hear, hear!!!

Umm, you lot have some kick a$$ kitchens, for sure - love the pics.

As for display cabinets - I third that idea. I have lots of nice stuff, too (have traveled and lived around the world - am downsizing, but some stuff is too sentimental right now to get rid of). Moreover, I have endeavored to place most things behind closed glass doors so I don't have to dust them!!!

My last kitchen (and current one, I'm renting) did not have an island. It did have an overhang above the sink that could use bar stools - never had them.

I'm a big fan of storage space in the kitchen, especially the roll-out shelves underneath cabinets and lots of electrical outlets and under counter lighting, etc. It's those little things that make it so much easier to work in a kitchen.

The other thing I did was buy a much quieter dishwasher. Large rooms with tile floors tend to bounce sound around.

As for your island, if you don't want seating there, then don't put it there. I think people use things if they see it used and I doubt "not having an overhand on the island" would be the one point that would cause someone to not buy your house. They'd probably want to change things themselves anyhow. Do what makes you happy - it's your money, after all.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like the "high stools at the counter, facing the kitchen" look.

Looks like horses at the trough to me.

And I don't want to look at kitchen appliances: I want to look out windows or at something pretty, like artwork.

And I've never liked sitting on high bar stools - even before I got old.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, neither do I. To me, it has a "real estate photo" look. (The house we bought, contained staged furniture, and bar stools at the kitchen island - but not at the small wet bar in the great room, where I'd expect to find them - was part of the set). That's why I made this post - it was truly surprising to find out how many people use those stools and like 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
I don't like the "high stools at the counter, facing the kitchen" look.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen island, kitchen remodel, remodeling