Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2020, 05:03 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

We had a peninsula at our condo. Raised countertop with 4 barstools. We always sat there to eat. Probably used the kitchen table for less than 5% of our meals.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 05:05 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I never sat at any of my kitchen islands, whether bar height or countertop height.

In my last house, when I redid the kitchen, I removed the countertop overhang to increase the size of the breakfast nook. In my current home, I also did away with any countertop eating area (even tough the kitchen designer was pushing for one as it is fashionable apparently). I find it more comfortable to eat on an actual table instead of being perched on a stool. And when I eat with someone, I prefer to face them.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree. And the space under an average kitchen island shelf is not enough to comfortably sit with legs crossed. Knees hit island.

(We can't even eat at a two-person restaurant table without accidentally kicking each other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I find it more comfortable to eat on an actual table instead of being perched on a stool. And when I eat with someone, I prefer to face them.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marita,
I live in a 1920s era neighborhood.
Many of my neighbors have built in nooks in their kitchens.

I agree with you. I think they are very nice, and an extremely efficient way to have an eat in kitchen area in a small kitchen.

Unfortunately my home doesn't have this.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I have a pre-cursor to a kitchen island in my 1920s kitchen: a nook with built in benches and table under a window. So practical and yes, I sit at it daily and often do work at it.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Can you add a footrail to the island?
Footrails help, but I find an issue even hoisting myself up to the chair.

Tall chairs universally suck when you are age 50+. I find very few of us who love them.

The hotel chains, like Hampton Inn, for example, are following a trend of installing a tall table in their dining area. Watch them next time you go, after this virus is done. See who sits there. See if ANYONE sits there.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used mine all the time! Morning coffee or quick snacks, doing food perp like peeling and chopping instead of standing, others sitting there while I would cook, many a quick dinner for just the wife and I. Was a single level with bar stools, actually adjustable height drafting chairs with wheel and lots of support for my bad back. I really miss it in our current house.
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like seeing all of these kitchen pics. It's sort of the same as seeing all of the homes of our favorite journalists, now reporting from home. A glimpse into the life of some of our posters is kind of the same thing. Regarding islands, our island is essential. When we gut renovated our kitchen about 13 years ago we greatly increased the size of our island and I don't regret it a bit. And no overhang is a much better look. Here's mine.

20200813_080708.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1776.jpg (302.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I rarely sit at the island. Since it's just me I usually sit on my sofa while watching TV.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #49

I would have a kitchen island where we could sit but we don't have one. I would like a kitchen island but the kitchen floor space is only 5'x9'. Bummer! Sure enjoy seeing all the pictures though.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I put a glassed display case on the side away from the kitchen, where the stools would usually go. My dining room is directly on that other side, so I didn't want stools and dining room chairs back to back in that area. I like my display case!
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I like the idea! What I'd like, though, is to have the top cabinets (which, with 10' ceilings, would be too high to reach without a little stepladder) to be glassed-in and have lights in them. We have many things worth displaying, but not so much furniture on which to display them. And a lighted cabinet iwould be easier on things, such as my Mother's dolls, than exposure to sunlight would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracelsus View Post
I put a glassed display case on the side away from the kitchen, where the stools would usually go. My dining room is directly on that other side, so I didn't want stools and dining room chairs back to back in that area. I like my display case!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Footrails help, but I find an issue even hoisting myself up to the chair.

Tall chairs universally suck when you are age 50+. I find very few of us who love them.

The hotel chains, like Hampton Inn, for example, are following a trend of installing a tall table in their dining area. Watch them next time you go, after this virus is done. See who sits there. See if ANYONE sits there.
I love a high top! That’s always my preference when we go out. Unfortunately, DH does not. Hmmm...he’s 57 and I’m 49. Will see if this all changes in a few months!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I love a high top! That’s always my preference when we go out. Unfortunately, DH does not. Hmmm...he’s 57 and I’m 49. Will see if this all changes in a few months!
Yes, a switch turns off at exactly age 50. You won't like them anymore!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Our kitchen is dated but functional. DW has never wanted to a kitchen island. She has used them in friends homes, and other than the storage space she finds them inconvenient. I am indifferent to them. I am fine using them at friends homes, and seeing the nice pics folks have posted, but it does not lead to a "we should get that" desire. Our goal is to declutter the kitchen, and in our situation adding an island would not help. Maybe I am just cheap.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I have never liked them. Even when I was 18. Dangling feet, circulation cut off at the thighs...what's there to like, when you come down to it? Maybe the ladies who like to dangle their stiletto heels for attention are fond of them?

Quote:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have never liked them. Even when I was 18. Dangling feet, circulation cut off at the thighs...what's there to like, when you come down to it? Maybe the ladies who like to dangle their stiletto heels for attention are fond of them?
Maybe it’s a leg length thing? I have long legs and have never had an issue resting my feet on the bottom rung of the chair. Even better at a bar with a foot rail!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #57

Flat top island and 4 chairs. We use it every day. First place folks gather around when company shows up as that is where the snacks and beverages are. Keeps the cook company too.

I considered the two stage counter, thinking the drop on the kitchen side hid the messy counter. Glad I didn't. My counter stools are 24" instead of 30" and much easier for older folks to use. Plus the large flat area the grand kids love for their projects. Wife loves it too for her spread while baking. Make it as wide as you can, you'll appreciate every square inch.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We have had peninsulas in our last house and our winter condo and an island at our summer home. We rarely sit at the peninsulas or the island but they were/are all people magnets whenever we had pre-covid parties... people inevitably stand around them drinking and conversing.

In the winter condo, I rarely eat at the peninsula of our winter condo because it faces the kitchen and I would rather eat out on the lanai with the view of the golf course. At home, I usually eat at the dining area table facing the lake rather than the island facing the stove.

The island at home is small... a 30" two-door, two drawer base cabinent and a 9" cabinet for cookie sheets, pizza stone, griddle, etc. The cabinets are mated together with a 36"x42' countertop. We have it on felt pads and the two of us can move it as desired for a little change of pace or for a party.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'm 5 feet 7.5" tall and a lot of that is leg, so no. It's probably the chair or stool's fault.

Quote:
Maybe it’s a leg length thing? I have long legs and have never had an issue resting my feet on the bottom rung of the chair. Even better at a bar with a foot rail!
Old 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Marita,
I live in a 1920s era neighborhood.
Many of my neighbors have built in nooks in their kitchens.

I agree with you. I think they are very nice, and an extremely efficient way to have an eat in kitchen area in a small kitchen.

Unfortunately my home doesn't have this.

JP
My nook!
Restoredbreakfastnook.JPG
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen island, kitchen remodel, remodeling