Do You Toot?

Yay! Interesting that the judge had never seen this violation come before him.

I try to never honk but this weekend I and several other people laid on the horn at a young woman who crossed against the light at one of the busier intersections I drive through in Chicago (Grand/Halsted/Milwaukee) for cars and pedestrians and bicyclists. She had earbuds in and was looking at her phone, laughing at the traffic trying to get around her. I doubt I would have been convicted had an overzealous officer ticketed me and not the walker, but my defense would have been that I was trying to prevent an accident since she was obviously missing the common-sense brain cells. Perhaps I could cite Mrs. Kaneohe's case....

Last edited:
Kaneohe, interesting story. One of my main pet peeves here in Paradise is those who make a lot of unneccesary noise (not talking about tooting at the car who fails to leave the green light.)

We have a guy in the next building whose motorcycle rattles our windows as he fires it up and leaves. We can hear him until he leaves our particular valley. Just about every night around 2AM or 3AM, a flock of mopeds goes past and revs their engines - apparently just to hear the echo between the buildings and the mountains. Though there are ordinances against excessive noise, to my knowledge, HPD officers never make stops for this unless they have another reason for wanting to stop someone.

My gut tells me the HPD officer was having a bad day and decided to pass it along to your DW. Glad she beat the "rap." But YMMV.

My gut tells me the HPD officer was having a bad day and decided to pass it along to your DW. Glad she beat the "rap." But YMMV.

Koolau, thanks. Yes, bad day or nothing better to do. Guess we all get up on the wrong side of the bed on occasion. .......and just for the record, born there but live elsewhere now so not HPD. Perhaps best left unsaid since one of the purposes for OP was to alert all to the possibility that this could happen to you.....well maybe not in NYC but anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom