Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Try to keep up here. Using a horn is not against the law if you use it for safety reasons. To say maybe there should be a class action suit is like saying there should be a suit against baseball bat makers because some might use them illegally to beat other people rather than for their intended use. I know it was (hopefully) tongue in cheek but it wasn't very clever.
My apologies for not being clever enough for you. Shame on me. I'll try harder next time.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #42

I think my brothers did some "tooting" in the 1970s, I was too young at the time.
Taking the thread in a whole new direction.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To more directly answer the question, no, the dog did it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

This reminds me of a comedy show I heard on the radio years ago. The "interviewer" was interviewing an "esteemed scientist".

Interviewer: "Dr. Esteemed Scientist, what is the smallest amount of time you have ever measured?".

Esteemed Scientist: "Why, that would be the time from when the light turns green, and the idiot behind you honks his horn."

Myself, I don't like to honk, but it is becoming more necessary with all these people fiddling with their phones. I usually wait a few seconds, and a lot of times the person behind me (third car in the chain) honks his horn, since in his opinion I took too long to honk.

Each time, I always wonder if it will be my "last honk". There are so many kooks in our society, I always think the person will get out of the car, walk back to my car, and empty a 357 into me. And from the comments above, he would probably dodge the murder charge, since I broke the law by honking my horn, and he was just making a "citizen's execution"...
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #45

Just to update. The trial was yesterday. The officer showed up and spoke first (narrative) . The accused (DW) then has a choice of telling story (narrative) or questioning officer. She chose narrative.

It was a war of words. He chose "Honked" and "repeatedly". DW chose
"tooted" and "twice" . He said DW was behind the slow car. She said slow car was behind 7 other cars who went through green light normally.

Perhaps my observation is clouded by the conclusion but I thought the judge was very fair and listened very carefully. He noted that he had never seen a prior citation for that code but then read the code aloud. There were a few suspenseful moments as the judge summarized his findings and reasoning.
DW felt compelled to say a few more things but the judge interrupted and said
"Mrs. K.............you won". Fortunately DW was listening and then shut up.
I wanted to thank and hug that judge but he had more business to attend to.

As a mere observer, it was an interesting and amusing experience tho I am sure it was stressful for DW. I was on a high the rest of the day.......made sweeter by the fact that the officer actually showed up.......and lost.

Lesson...........avoid using the horn if you can. If you can't and not in immediate danger, toot twice , don't HONK repeatedly.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Just Lesson...........avoid using the horn if you can. If you can't and not in immediate danger, toot twice , don't HONK repeatedly.
I usually just sit on mine until I see movement.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Just to update. The trial was yesterday. The officer showed up and spoke first (narrative) . The accused (DW) then has a choice of telling story (narrative) or questioning officer. She chose narrative.

It was a war of words. He chose "Honked" and "repeatedly". DW chose
"tooted" and "twice" . He said DW was behind the slow car. She said slow car was behind 7 other cars who went through green light normally.

Perhaps my observation is clouded by the conclusion but I thought the judge was very fair and listened very carefully. He noted that he had never seen a prior citation for that code but then read the code aloud. There were a few suspenseful moments as the judge summarized his findings and reasoning.
DW felt compelled to say a few more things but the judge interrupted and said
"Mrs. K.............you won". Fortunately DW was listening and then shut up.
I wanted to thank and hug that judge but he had more business to attend to.

As a mere observer, it was an interesting and amusing experience tho I am sure it was stressful for DW. I was on a high the rest of the day.......made sweeter by the fact that the officer actually showed up.......and lost.

Lesson...........avoid using the horn if you can. If you can't and not in immediate danger, toot twice , don't HONK repeatedly.
Congratulations.

I've always been impressed with most judges ability to sniff out and expose bs.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #48
Administrator

Congrats to Mrs. K
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Great news! Thanks for the update.

I was in Hawaii with rental car after your OP and made sure that I didn't toot once.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I never 'toot', but I bet Trombone Al does....oh wait, that's a different kind of 'toot'. And as jim584672 said in post #42, back in the 70's & 80's 'tooting' had a whole different meaning and was probably more illegal than hitting your car horn.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

"Toot" means passing gas to me. HA! HA!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Yay! Interesting that the judge had never seen this violation come before him.

I try to never honk but this weekend I and several other people laid on the horn at a young woman who crossed against the light at one of the busier intersections I drive through in Chicago (Grand/Halsted/Milwaukee) for cars and pedestrians and bicyclists. She had earbuds in and was looking at her phone, laughing at the traffic trying to get around her. I doubt I would have been convicted had an overzealous officer ticketed me and not the walker, but my defense would have been that I was trying to prevent an accident since she was obviously missing the common-sense brain cells. Perhaps I could cite Mrs. Kaneohe's case....
Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Kaneohe, interesting story. One of my main pet peeves here in Paradise is those who make a lot of unneccesary noise (not talking about tooting at the car who fails to leave the green light.)

We have a guy in the next building whose motorcycle rattles our windows as he fires it up and leaves. We can hear him until he leaves our particular valley. Just about every night around 2AM or 3AM, a flock of mopeds goes past and revs their engines - apparently just to hear the echo between the buildings and the mountains. Though there are ordinances against excessive noise, to my knowledge, HPD officers never make stops for this unless they have another reason for wanting to stop someone.

My gut tells me the HPD officer was having a bad day and decided to pass it along to your DW. Glad she beat the "rap." But YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

My gut tells me the HPD officer was having a bad day and decided to pass it along to your DW. Glad she beat the "rap." But YMMV.
Koolau, thanks. Yes, bad day or nothing better to do. Guess we all get up on the wrong side of the bed on occasion. .......and just for the record, born there but live elsewhere now so not HPD. Perhaps best left unsaid since one of the purposes for OP was to alert all to the possibility that this could happen to you.....well maybe not in NYC but anywhere else.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I've been tooting more frequently, but not SBD.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote