Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am surprised at the animosity shown towards FB by those that are quite active in this Forum. Perhaps someone can explain to me in what way the two venues differ. (I have been treating them as the same so some correction seems in order.)
I'd call this forum a Web 2.0 thing. FB is more 3.0.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I'd call this forum a Web 2.0 thing. FB is more 3.0.
Yikes! Now I am really out-of-the-loop. I don't know what that means. (Particularly as it relates to the animosity shown by some.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
I am surprised at the animosity shown towards FB by those that are quite active in this Forum. Perhaps someone can explain to me in what way the two venues differ. (I have been treating them as the same so some correction seems in order.)
What animosity? By my count more than half of the responders in this thread use and like FB, and among those that don't, most just said "no".

Your other point, how we differ, is interesting. One way we differ is here we use avatars and invented usernames, FB is mostly real identity. Another, we collectively work to keep the forum free from business promotion, while FB works with commercial interests to mine the user base.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think if my FB page had a moderator that put up the "Bacon Cartoon", I'd be much happier on FB. That's what we have here that FB doesn't.

Now, I can self moderate, but it can get old.

I used FB a lot a few years ago. Then a bunch of my friends became preachy, and others a bunch of whiners. So, I only visit rarely now.

I think I might create a new group or hide all those and try again. I really liked keeping up with family, watching great nieces/nephews group up, etc. But I could do without the politics, grandstanding, and the 15 times I'm admonished for ruining the world <put your vice here>.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What animosity? By my count more than half of the responders in this thread use and like FB, and among those that don't, most just said "no".

Your other point, how we differ, is interesting. One way we differ is here we use avatars and invented usernames, FB is mostly real identity. Another, we collectively work to keep the forum free from business promotion, while FB works with commercial interests to mine the user base.

This reminds me. I have a facebone to pick with you, mister.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What animosity?

Quote:
"Nope...no desire at all. "
"Never even a thought to acquire it....... "
"Nope. I have no use for it. "
"Always turned my nose up at it because it just seemed like a lot of "look at me and how great my life is" or so I've heard."
"I can't stand Facebook although I have an old account that I very rarely look at."
"I personally believe it's ridiculous..."
"Glad to see I am not alone in having no use for Facebook."
Yes, the UI is different. However, the usage is the same.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Facebook can be a helpful medium for organizing events with local friends. In the past week or two I have found a friend who, like me, is interested in attending an upcoming sporting event and we have bought tickets. I never would have guessed she would be interested in this sport so would not have thought to call her. I got advice on best places to see the salmon run. I posted photos of a recent vacation, which led to another (private) set of messages, which is leading to plans for a party......in other words, it's a social network.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I don't use Facebook in the way it was intended. My only Facebook "friends" are my daughter and her husband, and my brother who is badly disabled due to stroke and can't get online. I still can't bring myself to unfriend him.

I use Facebook just to communicate with my daughter, and to find out what she is up to. I don't have any desire to have a bazillion FB friends like so many do. I'm kind of an INTJ about it I guess.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't use FB. Originally I did this to annoy a few people who wanted me to get on it. Over time, it has turned into kind of acool thing to be able to say I'm not on it.

Most of my extended family uses it, but it's pretty much for gossip and things like baby pictures which I'm not unhappy to miss out on.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

You don't use Facebook. Facebook uses you.

The advertisers use Facebook, and you are the product FB sells them.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #51
gone traveling

In a county of 6500 and a town of 700, our community page on Facebook has about 800 members. It's a great place to share pics and let other folks know about events.

Facebook is exactly what you make it. Ads come up, use the option to "hide all posts" from the perpetrator. Don't accept friend requests from someone you don't want contact with. I know there are ads in the margins but I never "see" them.

I understand not wanting to use Facebook. My wife has zero interest. What I don't understand is bitching about things that are easily under your control.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I think if my FB page had a moderator that put up the "Bacon Cartoon", I'd be much happier on FB. That's what we have here that FB doesn't.
Okay, I need to clarify my position. The "Groups" in Facebook are exactly like this Forum -- there is a Moderator and Membership is by Application/Acceptance. Everything the same as here.

For instance, if you were a Photographer (Pro or Hobbyist), you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not joining a Group like this simply because you "just don't like Facebook": https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightroomhelpgroup. (Yes, you have to "Join" in order to look them over. However, if you did, you would find a select group of individuals interested only in a single subject.)

Now, I am coming to the realization that everyone here is looking at their own personal "Timeline" as THE definition of FB. In any event, I have no problem with that aspect of FB either since I have restricted my "Friends" to around 100 -- consisting of close friends, aunts/uncles, children, nieces/nephews, and cousins of all variety. It is pretty easy to keep those rascals under control although there are a few (as there is in any group) who feel compelled to share every single thought with everyone they can.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
In a county of 6500 and a town of 700, our community page on Facebook has about 800 members. It's a great place to share pics and let other folks know about events.

Facebook is exactly what you make it. Ads come up, use the option to "hide all posts" from the perpetrator. Don't accept friend requests from someone you don't want contact with. I know there are ads in the margins but I never "see" them.

I understand not wanting to use Facebook. My wife has zero interest. What I don't understand is bitching about things that are easily under your control.
+1
Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Our Florida community has a very active web page (not facebook), that has about 300 members, and which sees about 100 "hits" per day. It keeps everyone in the mix, and is the clue to keeping the friendships and the activities going strong.

That said, in the past four years, my correspondence thru email has dropped from about 30 messages/day from friends and neighbors, to almost none except for our kids and a few local neighbors.

Life has become too short to keep up correspondence with the hundreds of neighbors and friends that we accumulated over 22 complete household moves.
We'll never see any of them again, and even when we were in contact, the exchange became stilted and forced.

Now, except for several websites similar to ER (friendly discussion) neither DW nor I work to keep in contact with others. Even the few closest relatives that remain, live far away... too difficult to maintain personal contact.

And so, no facebook... but... What MichaelB said... and I'd add this one thought about identity....

Posting on a forum allows for the anonymity of developing a personna... a strawman to present thought and congenial argument, and in the end, a salve for the ego. In fact, perhaps 50% to share and trade knowledge, while the other half is the love of being recognized... the unspoken goal of writers, politicians, movie idols, and everyone who is in the public arena.

Anonymous is much easier than assuming the responsibility for something that one might post on a website that is open to the world.

my opinion only..

edit: to note that this was written at the same time RonBoyd and Mr.Paul were posting similar thoughts. +1, what they said.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
That said, in the past four years, my correspondence thru email has dropped from about 30 messages/day from friends and neighbors, to almost none except for our kids and a few local neighbors.
Yeah, the major problem with e-mail as a social medium has always been the requirement to respond to every one -- a necessity for business correspondence, however. Whose social (personal time) life has time for that?

The advantage that FB brings to the table is the ability for one to keep up-to-date without the mandate to add comment.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Don't do Facebook. I consider it an evil enterprise along with a few other mainstream outfits.

I think if one reads their terms of service it becomes pretty obious why.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yikes! Now I am really out-of-the-loop. I don't know what that means. (Particularly as it relates to the animosity shown by some.)
Quote:
A Web 2.0 site may allow users to interact and collaborate with each other in a social media dialogue as creators of user-generated content in a virtual community, in contrast to Web sites where people are limited to the passive viewing of content. Examples of Web 2.0 include social networking sites, blogs, wikis, folksonomies, video sharing sites, hosted services, Web applications, and mashups.
Web 2.0 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why is FB the next generation, meaning Web 3.0?

In Web 1.0, I could publish animosity on static pages, and my bros and me would IM each other and give virtual high-fives.
In Web 2.0, I start with a easy topic, and watch it morph into 100's of political rants. Reminds me of missiles flying over the demilitarized zone.
In Web 3.0, I post on FB that I like tarts, and supplement that with a picture of apple tarts fresh from my oven. People comment, and FB is tracking the activity, placing me on lists for advertisers to serve up commercials I don't want. But those same commercials are popping up in Twitter, on CNN, etc. And groups start following me, thinking I'm into young English tarts. Amazon sends me email which has coupons for $$ off my next order of lawn darts. Local house cleaning maid service shows up at my door (found GPS coords in the jpeg I posted) and offers to clean the oven and other obviously unkempt parts of the house (seen in my kitchen picture of tarts).
It's sorta like that, ya know?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

No, never really found any use for it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I need to clarify my position. The "Groups" in Facebook are exactly like this Forum -- there is a Moderator and Membership is by Application/Acceptance. Everything the same as here.

For instance, if you were a Photographer (Pro or Hobbyist), you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not joining a Group like this simply because you "just don't like Facebook": https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightroomhelpgroup. (Yes, you have to "Join" in order to look them over. However, if you did, you would find a select group of individuals interested only in a single subject.)

Now, I am coming to the realization that everyone here is looking at their own personal "Timeline" as THE definition of FB. In any event, I have no problem with that aspect of FB either since I have restricted my "Friends" to around 100 -- consisting of close friends, aunts/uncles, children, nieces/nephews, and cousins of all variety. It is pretty easy to keep those rascals under control although there are a few (as there is in any group) who feel compelled to share every single thought with everyone they can.
Ah, yes. Sorry. That's what I mean. My "own page" or "timeline" needs a moderator to cut the crap out. But that's me, and it is tiring. Or, I just need to put a bunch of my friends in a penalty box (I can hide them).

You are correct. FB groups are different from our personal timelines. I actually moderate a FB group. Easy work since it only gets 1 post per week. FB groups and personal timelines are very different.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
... and FB is tracking the activity, placing me on lists for advertisers to serve up commercials I don't want. But those same commercials are popping up in Twitter, on CNN, etc. And groups start following me, thinking I'm into young English tarts. Amazon sends me email which has coupons for $$ off my next order of lawn darts. Local house cleaning maid service shows up at my door (found GPS coords in the jpeg I posted) and offers to clean the oven and other obviously unkempt parts of the house (seen in my kitchen picture of tarts).
Oh! Now I am upset. I have never gotten any of that. Tell me what I am forgetting to do so I can get in on the fun.