Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since our first house in 1977 have had - and always used - a dishwasher. I can't imagine not having one. Never pre-rinsed. Currently we own a very quiet Whirlpool. I'm still waiting, though, for a design that automatically unloads the dishes and silverware for you.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #42

I don't have one, but if I did, I would use it. When I have a dishwasher I wash/rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher until full and then run it and put the dishes away when dry. When I move into the house, it will have a dishwasher. Until then, I use a lot of paper plates.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #43

I love my new Bosch that I purchased this year after my old one leaked. My old one had a heating element for drying but my new one appears to work differently. I can’t even see a heating element.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #44

Wow, thank you, everyone, for sharing your DW experience.

To the people who load the washer without rinsing, do you do anything to the plates before loading, like wiping them with a paper towel and such? Or you just scrape off bits of left-over food/bones with a fork or something, and straight into the washer?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?
Yes, Yes, No, Yes.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #46

Quote:
To the people who load the washer without rinsing, do you do anything to the plates before loading, like wiping them with a paper towel and such? Or you just scrape off bits of left-over food/bones with a fork or something, and straight into the washer?
^
This.

Another happy Bosch owner here. We bought a Samsung when we remodeled this house in 2010, but was never happy with it. The top rack attachment broke a few years ago and I used that as an excuse to get the Bosch, which is as close to perfect as any dishwasher I've ever used. With just the two of us, it is run every 2-3 days and as long as I remember to clean out the filter every few weeks, everything comes out spotless.

I hand wash pots and pans and all of my good knives, everything else goes in.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Yes, we have a Kitchenaid that is so quiet you hardly know it's running. We give the dishes a cursory rinse to get rid of big chunks and run it every other day or so. When we have company it's run every day.
When we replaced our dishwasher quiet operation was our top requirement (well, it had to work well in general of course). We also have a Kitchenaid and I barely hear the thing when its on. Very nice.

Our current model apparently uses less water than previous models, but the trade off seems to be it takes (seemingly) forever to run a cycle. That's fine over night, but a pain during the holidays when we need to run more than one load after a big family dinner.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #48

Quote:

With the old dishwasher I'd rinse first.
With the new one I scrape the chunks of food off only.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #49

Yes, we run ours about every 3 days or so. It's usually just the two of us, so there is no need to run it daily. And yes, I do rinse dishes before putting them in (and the dog helps with that chore too).

On holidays and/or whenever we have a crowd over for dinner, it is especially nice to have it.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #50

No dishwasher. I clean up right away and let nothing sit.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, we use ours everyday. Rinse and load. In the RV I hand wash 3 times a day. Small sink, not much counter space etc to just let it build up all day. Plus I can't stand the mess of dirty dishes.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you use your dishwasher?
Old 08-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you use your dishwasher?

We have a Bosch and run it every night.

Isn’t the reason that a Bosch is quiet is because it doesn’t have a “food grinder“ mechanism to take care of the large chunks of food like other brands?

I also like that Bosch does not have a heating elements for drying, so you don’t have to worry about “top rack safe” items. You can safely put plastic items anywhere. The residual heat from the wash water is sufficient to mostly dry everything.

Lastly, your choice of dish washer detergent does make a difference in the outcome of your wash.
ocean view is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #53
Administrator

We have a Miele and run it every night. I always scrape and usually rinse the dishes before putting them in it. A regular cycle takes a little over two hours, and it is very quiet. I hand wash the pots and pans, and the knives.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had a dishwasher. But she left. The cook left soon after. Rough times.

So then we went and bought the kind that goes under the counter. All good ever since.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I love my dishwasher. A non fancy GE high efficiency unit that cost $450. I rinse but just to get off the big chunks, pre-cleaning is not needed. Use air dry which works fine if you crack door when dishes are hot.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I run my Kenmore regularly once or twice a week. Scape/rinse off items before putting them in. I think this is my third one in 35 years.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #57

Just the two of us. It runs every 3 days or so, on average. We wash and air-dry a lot of stuff: good knives, wine glasses, pots, pans, and larger items. Everything else goes in the dishwasher after rinsing off most of the bits by hand. It's mainly for the sanitation with very hot water.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Never use it.

Replaced the old one when remodeled the kitchen a few year back but have never used it.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

During our last remodel, we deleted the dishwasher and placed an extra under-counter cabinet in its place. DW and I use dispo items for most meals and just batch any pans, serving bowls, etc. for maybe once a week hand wash. True, if we ever decide to sell, there might be an issue with some prospective buyers. Still, retrofitting a dish washer at time of prep-for-sale would be a minor issue. In the mean time, the extra storage space in the small kitchen is worth any future cost/effort IMO. We never used the dish washers much in previous houses/condos. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

That's exactly what I was going to ask of those not using the dishwasher.

Why do you still have it?

You could do (like Koolau) an extra cabinet, or a mini fridge / wine cooler or trash compactor or slide out waste bucket or...