Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes
Yes
No
No
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Do you use your dishwasher?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you use your dishwasher?

We use ours and checked dba b4 we bought it.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #83
gone traveling

when I replaced my dish washer, I bought the best there was at the time and I paid dearly for it. I never rinse. I had a couple non clean issues so I started running a container of TANG through a wash cycle every month or so. it clears out the mineral deposits that restricts the water flow.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We always use it. I hate washing dishes by hand. Ours is about 5 years old. We scrape off any food before loading a dish but do not rinse.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #85

What Davebarnes said. Bosch is the best.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Use it? Heck yes, that is what it is for.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Yes, yes, No, no. About 15 Yo Bosch. Moved once from old house in Maryland to current in Western PA. Been here about 12 years. No failures. And it is very quiet.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #88

I'm impressed by all the satisfied owners using Bosch's here. I'll definitely be checking those out the next time I'm in the market for a DW.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?
Yes. Yes. Yes. No. It's a Bosch, but our old Asko was quieter

The instructions specifically say to NOT rinse before loading as it wastes water, but instead simply scrape or brush off food particles that will not dissolve such as nuts.

I don't care if the grime dries on the dishes as the dishwasher gets it off anyways, so we don't run the dishwasher every day.

I have gotten into the habit of eating breakfast and lunch out of a glass bowl that is a gallon in size with a handle. Basically, it is a big Pyrex or PamperedChef measuring bowl that goes in the microwave, too. I will hand wash it after use by filling with water, adding a squirt of soap, and letting it soak until I need to eat again. I will put my fork or spool in the bowl to soak along with any glass or cup I use.

Then when I need to use the bowl again, I pour the water into whatever dishes my wife has left dirty, put the utensils in the dishwasher, rinse the bowl and put it in the top rack of the dishwasher to let it drip dry.

That is, I also use the dishwasher as a drying rack.

Since I am using the same bowl twice a day, I don't have many other dishes to put in the dishwasher unless we have guests.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Yes
Yes
No
Partial/sometimes
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

YES. We have a DW and we use it regularly. Why have a dog if you have to do the barking?

Ditto the Tang suggestion. A repair technician recommended this to us. Used it in our previous home dishwasher.

No more tang, and we have the DW that came with the house.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Every day, and sometimes more than once. Yes, I scrub/rinse before putting dishes in it.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I do use my dishwasher, rinse and scrape and run it maybe twice a week (there is just the 2 of us). My old dishwasher broke and had to get a new one, took a couple of weeks to figure out new one and get it installed. I HATED not having a dishwasher during that time.

A question about Bosch--we rented a brand new condo for a while that had a Bosch dishwasher that was supposed to be very energy efficient. But the thing was, the dishwasher did not dry the dishes at all, it had no drying element. I tried, rinse aid, etc but the dishes were always soaking wet when I took them out of the dishwasher and I had to hand dry. We had a repairman out and he said the Bosch was not broken it was just how this "energy efficient Bosch" was made--no heated drying. What a pain.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #94

With my Bosch dishwasher drying cycle, we start our dishwasher just before we go to bed, and I unload it after breakfast is over in morning, and start reloading breakfast dishes. Most all dishes are dry in morning except for those plastic dishes that may have a bead that will help seal a lid, or a glass dish that may have a water holding bottom, such as a dimple. We usually lay those at an angle so water cannot collect. The plastic dishes either I I tap a few times and lay on dish towel, or I dry them. Have not found it to be an inconvenience. I also sanitize my wine bottles 30-35 at a time, using a sanitizer instead of dish soap. Some bottles if not properly loaded will fill with sanitizing solution, but I dump it when unloading, and it is scalding hot at that time. By the time I get to my garage winery, they are dry,and cool enough for wine.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #95

To add to the Tang comment, I read in my Costco magazine that throwing 1 cup of baking soda in an empty dishwasher and running a cycle leaves it sparkling clean. I tried it and liked it. And I always have a humongous Costco-sized bag of Arm & Hammer sitting around for other cleaning needs, so I don't have to store a Tang jar.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Never tried Tang or baking soda in our dishwasher but we do use about half a cup of vinegar in every load. We have really hard well water and after 10+ years of running two to three loads a week it still performs like it was new.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I rinse the dishes with hot water before loading, run a load about 3x a week. My cousin handwashes EVERYTHING with dish soap and sponge, rinses, then put it all in the DW. Can't figure out that one.....
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never rinse dishes, never run heat dry cycle. Ran 2 cycles with plumbing acid to clean and derust interior, stainless steel sparkles. Also killed mold.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #99

DW washes the dishes, then puts then in the dishwasher. Sad. I've tried. Better that I open a bottle of wine and retire to the patio or deck. I do hand wash the wine glasses. Perhaps I'm the unindicted co-conspirator?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #100
Confused about dryer sheets

yes, a Bosch (15 years old, still works great), a quick precursory rinse.
muchohucho is offline   Reply With Quote