Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have a dishwasher. I wash dishes by hand. I don't mind. Sometimes I find it relaxing.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use it? Yes. Scrub and rinse super-dirty items before putting it in.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Yes, No, Yes
Old 08-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #104

Very much about saving water and electricity these days. Good for the planet and my bank account. Running a full load at night is more efficient and economical especially if you leave off the heated dry cycle.

Wipe down if really greasy and scrape the plates but unless I expect them to sit there is no reason to pre rinse. It works great and saves time and money so why not?
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
What Davebarnes said. Bosch is the best.
+1 and Bosch quality at Kenmore prices is even better.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Never tried Tang or baking soda in our dishwasher but we do use about half a cup of vinegar in every load. We have really hard well water and after 10+ years of running two to three loads a week it still performs like it was new.
+1 I often let ours run for about 30 seconds, then pour in some white vinegar and then let it run.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #107

Not until now. Upon reading this thread, I started using my DW as a strainer. Thanks ER Forum.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

I live alone, so just about once a week. I find myself washing many things by hand that I use daily.

And yes, I pre-rinse. I was in the commercial dishwashing field selling and leasing equipment and chemicals. Restaurants ALWAYS pre-rinse. Commercial warewashing equipment is far more powerful than home machines. The wash and rinse cycles combined last all of 90 seconds.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Thanks again, ER forum members for all your posts!!!!! I'm the OP coming back to give an update.

I was on the fence about getting a new dishwasher since we were not using the old one (which might have been installed in the late '80s when the house was built, I'm not sure, but it sure looked archaic.) I at one point even considered having three drawers in its place, but after reading all your posts, we decided and bought an entry-level (=cheap) Whirlpool dishwasher (it had a very good review rating though cheap), and I'm truly amazed at how well the dishwasher works!! I put dishes/pots/cooking spoons, etc without rinsing them at all, with some stuck cheese bits, some smeared sticky rice, and other kinds of food bits stuck on them pretty good, and ran a normal-heat dry cycle. Everything came out clean! No bits stuck anywhere!! Things sure have changed over the years, haven't they? Technology rocks!

I would especially like to thank the people who posted saying they used their dishwasher without pre-rinse. I'm so glad we decided to give the dishwasher another try.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thanks again, ER forum members for all your posts!!!!! I'm the OP coming back to give an update.

I was on the fence about getting a new dishwasher since we were not using the old one (which might have been installed in the late '80s when the house was built, I'm not sure, but it sure looked archaic.) I at one point even considered having three drawers in its place, but after reading all your posts, we decided and bought an entry-level (=cheap) Whirlpool dishwasher (it had a very good review rating though cheap), and I'm truly amazed at how well the dishwasher works!! I put dishes/pots/cooking spoons, etc without rinsing them at all, with some stuck cheese bits, some smeared sticky rice, and other kinds of food bits stuck on them pretty good, and ran a normal-heat dry cycle. Everything came out clean! No bits stuck anywhere!! Things sure have changed over the years, haven't they? Technology rocks!

I would especially like to thank the people who posted saying they used their dishwasher without pre-rinse. I'm so glad we decided to give the dishwasher another try.
Just be sure to clean out the food screen often.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Do you use your dishwasher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh, yes, thank you! I’ll definitely do that.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #112

We have one but it broke years ago and we have not bothered to repair it. I just wash the dishes by hand: it is not difficult and doesn't take long.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I just bought a new DW and am waiting for installation. My old one had filters that were a major PITA to clean, but I found the newer models have filters that are much easier to access. This was a major consideration when choosing.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
..... we decided and bought an entry-level (=cheap) Whirlpool dishwasher (it had a very good review rating though cheap), and I'm truly amazed at how well the dishwasher works!....

It's been my experience that usually the only difference between entry line models and their more expensive siblings are the bells and whistles. But the underlying mechanical and electrical guts are the same. Enjoy your new Dishwasher!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I just bought a new DW.
What happened to the old one? Did you keep her too, or did she find a new DH?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

All European dishwashers lack the heating element. Unless the 'sanitize' function is used on Bosch DW's, chances are any dishes/silverware will still be somewhat wet the day after washing.
leftymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I am short of drawer space in my kitchen. In my area, not many people cook regularly, their dishwashers work at restaurants. But they work too expensively for me, so I usually cook, and long ago a previous owner traded his dishwasher for more drawer space. It is something of a challenge for me to keep up with the dishes, but drawers win out over a new dishwasher in the space.

Ha
Old 11-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #118
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am short of drawer space in my kitchen. In my area, not many people cook regularly, their dishwashers work at restaurants. But they work too expensively for me, so I usually cook, and long ago a previous owner traded his dishwasher for more drawer space. It is something of a challenge for me to keep up with the dishes, but drawers win out over a new dishwasher in the space.
Not needing to take the added time to immediately wash after eating vs. just sticking dirty stuff in DW (not spouse) and letting sit for 2-3 days/4-5 meals is an appreciated benefit here. Plus I find dishes freer of spots than when we hand wash as we can miss a spot or two. Rinse aid helps too.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

I use mine 2-3 times a week and wipe/rinse dishes before they go in. I don’t want any temptations for various bugs to share my home!

[ADDED] The rinse also gives an occasional opportunity to run the garbage disposal.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
It's been my experience that usually the only difference between entry line models and their more expensive siblings are the bells and whistles. But the underlying mechanical and electrical guts are the same. Enjoy your new Dishwasher!
Thank you, mystang. Interesting about what you said. I'm glad I decided to go cheap! I couldn't be happier.