Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I wear mine. Seat belt and whatever you have in mind. I am a prude.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I would think that Princess Diana would have one of the best body guards in the world. I'd think that in body guard school you learn to make sure your client wear's his/her seatbelt. And yet Princess Diana died because she wasn't wearing her seat belt.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wear them now, but didn't for years. Before seatbelt wear became mandatory in Texas they were probably the most underused item on police cars. Most of us envisioned needing to get out of the car to confront a threat or chase someone and getting the belt caught up on the gunbelt. Just before the law changed I supervised a reconstruction investigation involving a girl who had been partially ejected from the sunroof of a Jaguar that tried to do a 35 MPH curve at about 90. I've worn them religiously ever since.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who never wears seatbelts. He was once chased by a woman with a machete. He survived a hurricane in a bathroom with only the bathroom remaining of the house when the storm passed. And he has a warrant out for his arrest in Ireland. Lives a bit dangerously.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #45

Always wear my seatbelt. When I was a kid(in the 50's and 60's), none of us in the family ever did. I am just amazed and horrified by this now as we took long car trips as a family, dog hanging out of the window to boot.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Yes! Always!

Yet, I am against laws that require it. I believe the job of government in a free society is to 'EDUCATE not LEGISLATE' to the maximum extent possible. I believe I have the right to be stupid, and I don't expect someone else to pay for my stupidity if I am in an accident.

Do studies show that those in cars without seatbelts have less control of their cars, thus lead to more deaths than those with seatbelts. If the answer is YES then I'm for laws requiring them. I do agree that education is required too.

Simliar to second hand smoke, I guess. Since studies show that smoking in public does impact others, than I believe their should be regulation. Now in your own home, that's a different story -- though I wouldn't do so myself, I have no problem a all with someone puffing away to their own hearts content even if it it kills them.

Enough of my 2 cents ... back to looking at the Oh My God photo
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #47

I would doubt if it makes much difference in the control of the car. I think we should think long and hard before we allow the government to take away personal liberties. The government has done a pretty good job of educating people about smoking. You have the ability to vote with your feet and not frequent places where second hand smoke is a problem. Restaurant and bar owners make a decision as to who's business they want. It seems government can always make an argument for a new law. I stand by my statement,
'Educate not Legislate'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My thought about loss of control of the car, for example if someone from the back seat gets tossed at the driver instead of buckled in the back.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #49

Well, I am kind of new at this driving thing, only 51 years, and I have never heard of anyone being thrown from the back seat and then causing the driver to loose control. I would think that when the driver slams on the breaks an un-belted person might fly from the back seat, and cause the driver to change his course of action. So therefore that is enough reason for government to mandate everyone wear seat belts and fine them if they don't.

If one uses this type of logic, there is nothing government can not control. Example, there is a story going around that a group wants hot dog makers to change their shape so children won't choke on them. Sounds like a great reason for a law. Let's ban eating bananas in public. Someone could throw the peal on the sidewalk, I may slip on it, a driver may see it, and loose control of his car and hit you.

I am not against all government regulations. As I have said, however, stop protecting me from myself. The new government crusade is food, and the law makers can't wait to 'help us out'.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I read the article about thinking of changing the shape of hotdogs and think that's a silly law as anything can have a danger and it just won't be a hotdog anymore. One can die from drinking water, so should there be a law on this? How about paper cuts? A law for this?

I think the challenge for any government is balancing what is "right" for the majority vs not intruding on "rights" of the majority.

A similar law which I think is odd is some states motorcycle laws. For example, helmets may not be required but eye protection is. The rational, I assume is they don't care if you crack your skull not wearing a helmet (your choice), but if a bug blows in your eye and you cause a wreck, that's a problem. I'm assuming the seatbelt laws goes under a simliar rational.

Does wearing a seatbelt make it safer for all commuters in general? Or is wearing seatbelts only for looks and the real cost is medical costs for the ones that don't wear them along with the fines given out?

Now..back to the Oh My God! photo
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #51
gone traveling

I always wear my seat belt, out of a warped sense of personal responsibility.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #52

If leaving town I always wear my seatbelt. I don't wear it in town, but town is 1500 people, one stop light, and a speed limit of 25 mph.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
If leaving town I always wear my seatbelt. I don't wear it in town, but town is 1500 people, one stop light, and a speed limit of 25 mph.

...with two taverns at opposite ends of town (Ugly's Bar and Hanks Corner) I'd say you have a pretty cavalier attitude about wearing your seat belt...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...with two taverns at opposite ends of town (Ugly's Bar and Hanks Corner) I'd say you have a pretty cavalier attitude about wearing your seat belt...
You got Ugly's bar right but Hank's Corner is 14 miles west of here. We do have Sammy's and the Office.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I'm pretty sure those scary crash test videos we see are done at 35mph. I've even heard of deaths from hitting the windshield just the wrong way, at 15mph speed.

I put mine on even if I'm moving the car from one end of a parking lot to another. I want to be in the habit 100% of the time. And if I suddenly decide to go home rather than the other end of the parking lot, I don't want to let that to lead to me being on the streets w/o my seat belt on.

A seat belt probably saved my life. I was going slow, ready to turn. The other guy blew a stop sign, so I don't want to count on the other guy obeying the 25mph speed limit either.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I used to be terrible about strapping on the seat belt until my son (when he was about age 5 or so) would always remind me to buckle up. I would always thank him for "saving my life" and until he heard the click he would stay on the case. I don't need his assistance any more, but I always buckle up while driving away. Probably not an ideal situation.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I used to be terrible about strapping on the seat belt until my son (when he was about age 5 or so) would always remind me to buckle up. I would always thank him for "saving my life" and until he heard the click he would stay on the case. I don't need his assistance any more, but I always buckle up while driving away. Probably not an ideal situation.

That's sweet about your son "saving your life". Reminds me of the story with Barbara Mandrell who wasn't a seat-belt wearer. Then one day, driving with her kids she decided to wear them and that saved them.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm guilty of not always wearing a seat belt. When we lived in a large city, I always did. But when we moved to a rural area, I only wear the seat belt when I'm on the freeway or crowded streets. I'm not short, but I've always had problems with that dang thing choking me!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid I was thrown from a moving car when the door flew open as we were turning a corner. Fortunately we were going slow, I landed in grass and wasn't injured. That was in the days before seat belts were available. Maybe that's why now I feel uncomfortable not wearing one and always buckle up, no mater how short the trip.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #60

this explaines a lot about your post!