Does a Man's Salary Matter?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Of course not, if he is the only man alive. Otherwise, the consensus seems to be "yes".

Does a man?s salary matter?

I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women. Otherwise, he might find himself lonesome for feminine companionship. IMO this is a major reason not to abandon a good career too quickly.

To a lesser extent the same goes for married guys. Women do like to sleep with power, and power is most easily exerted with money. This is no more difficult to understand than the uncomfortable but undeniable fact that men like to sleep with youth and beauty.

Ha

I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women...
Of course! Now, let's enumerate the talents that would come in handy...

Ah, what do I care? I am spoken for. :whistle:

Of course not, if he is the only man alive. Otherwise, the consensus seems to be "yes".

I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women. Otherwise, he might find himself lonesome for feminine companionship. IMO this is a major reason not to abandon a good career too quickly.
Oh yeah...I grabbed my sugar daddy up 34 years ago...'cause he was makin' 35 cents more an hour that yours truly...:cool:
To a lesser extent the same goes for married guys. Women do like to sleep with power, and power is most easily exerted with money. This is no more difficult to understand than the uncomfortable but undeniable fact that men like to sleep with youth and beauty.

Ha
Well, I'm a woman and I suppose I like sleeping with power, but it's in a totally different vein..

Sure youth and beauty comes into play but when times get tough one can do this ----->
smiley-char067.gif

Any anthropologist will tell you that what men and women are looking for in a partner is different. Men are looking for external signals of fertility and women are looking for external signals of ability to provide (while DW is busy raising the kids).

Now all that may be old hat in today's society, but it does enter the equation. Sophisticated girls look beyond the sportscar and find out the guy's debt level and net worth.

I once worked with a secretary who divorced her first spouse based on his debt level and non-LBYM habits. She was much more selective in choosing her next partner and is now well on track to FIRE.

I wonder if, in this era of extreme job insecurity and retirement insecurity, there may be more emphasis on lifelong security than on current raw earning power.

At some point I could see a $100K income with weak benefits and low job security becoming less attractive to a potential mate than a $60K job with rock solid job security and full benefits including a pension. I don't think most 20-somethings are that sophisticated yet, but if the current mess continues for a few more years that could change. (Of course, so too could their benefits package, but still...)

When asked why she is married to Roger Rabbit, Jessica replies, "He makes me laugh".

I'm glad I got married when I was young and empty-headed. Some might say today that I am still the latter but in any case the thing that appealed to me most about my husband-to-be was that he seemed to be my exact opposite in many respects: lively, energetic, optimistic, kind of a "take charge" person where I am retiring and lazy. He was very good at the practical things in life. Oh, and he seemed to think that I was perfect in every way which stood him in good stead from the beginning. Over the years he was disabused of this fallacy but by then it was too late.

My wife has always paid all the bills and manages her income and mine. Ever since, when we had been married for 3 months, she went out and used our ENTIRE weekly food budget to buy YARN for some project(twenty bucks at the time, when I was only making $5200 a year). She couldn't understand. So I put her in charge of day to day and month to month bills, and we made up a budget for her to follow. I remained in charge of long term planning, and she needed my OK to purchase anything really big and I needed her figuring on how to purchase anything really big.

Its worked pretty well for about 37 years, except for the occasions when she's failed to pay a bill and they start calling. We've never been in a position where the money wasn't budgeted.

It also means that we'll have no problem budgeting for retirement: we know exactly what our inflow and out flow has been for almost 40 years of records.

Mmmm, hmmmm....that ranks high on my list. ...and a little of this too..

YouTube - Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness

I have a Little Tender Chest at the moment - will that work?

The stereotype is that a woman seeks a man who is wealthy.
Well stuff has changed and women are 'allowed' to work and make money.
I supported a man for several years because he did housework and yardwork and vehicle maintenance.
We don't have to buy into the stereotypes.

The stereotype is that a woman seeks a man who is wealthy.
Well stuff has changed and women are 'allowed' to work and make money.
I supported a man for several years because he did housework and yardwork and vehicle maintenance.
We don't have to buy into the stereotypes.

When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! :LOL: I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common. We each felt that if the other could support himself or herself independently, we could care less about conspicuous consumption.

I wonder if guys who try to impress women with how much money they have, would often end up with golddiggers. Some might say they deserve one another.

When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! :LOL: I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common. We each felt that if the other could support himself or herself independently, we could care less about conspicuous consumption.

I wonder if guys who try to impress women with how much money they have, would often end up with golddiggers. Some might say they deserve one another.

You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.

When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! :LOL: I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common.

Agreed on your last paragraph, but I'm curious: had you met Frank when you were in your 20s, do you think you would have the same reaction? Do you think your actual reaction to his "clunker" would have been the same, or would you have been more likely to think "lousy job, low income, not a candidate" and have your opinions colored accordingly?

As we mature, I think we learn to embrace the more permanent and timeless endearing qualities like loyalty, faithfulness, dependability and stability than the kind of stuff we seek in our 20s. And that goes for women *and* men alike.

Agreed on your last paragraph, but I'm curious: had you met Frank when you were in your 20s, do you think you would have the same reaction? Do you think your actual reaction to his "clunker" would have been the same, or would you have been more likely to think "lousy job, low income, not a candidate" and have your opinions colored accordingly?

I was terribly shallow in my 20's sometimes. Still, when I was in my 20's, I wouldn't have even cared if he HAD a car as long as he was otherwise appealing.

In my 50's, I was pretty skeptical about guys with no transportation unless they could prove to me that they didn't want to depend on me for all their transportation needs. I did date one guy who didn't drive but he paid for a cab. So, that was OK (although we both agreed there was no "chemistry" so that was that). Granted, women do vary.

Ziggy29 said:
As we mature, I think we learn to embrace the more permanent and timeless endearing qualities like loyalty, faithfulness, dependability and stability than the kind of stuff we seek in our 20s. And that goes for women *and* men alike.

I think that is true, too.

When we were married, I had no car, I was a grad student (i.e. no real income), and negative net worth. My wife was gainfully employed as an engineer.

I did have transportation: my bicycle.

28 years later, I don't work full-time, but my wife is still gainfully employed as an engineer.

When we were married, I had no car, I was a grad student (i.e. no real income), and negative net worth. My wife was gainfully employed as an engineer.

I did have transportation: my bicycle.

28 years later, I don't work full-time, but my wife is still gainfully employed as an engineer.
Translation: I bought a winning lottery ticket 28 years ago. :D

In seeking a mate, I paid little or no attention to salary. I was looking for someone who offered me the same things I had to offer him, which did not include a high salary.

Amethyst

When I met my wife, we were both broke. So she couldn't have been impressed by my bank account. And she always made more (sometimes much more) than I did. Anyways, 12 years later we are still together and still in love. I must be doing something right.

Ah, many males with lots of talents here, I see...

Read Ha's 1st post again. ;)

Back
Top Bottom