Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Does anyone choose to keep working, but less?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone choose to keep working, but less?

We are thinking of not so much "retiring" completely and early, but backing off on working. This will allow us to move sooner, live in a location that we want to retire in, and still have our off days to enjoy the locale.

DH wants to become a fly-fishing guide, while I love my job and don't mind working.

We believe we can afford to make half of what we make now, let the savings grow, and with the lower tax bracket, still make ends meet.

Anyone else do this?
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your proposed new lifestyle sounds idyllic, Amy. Keep us informed.

For twenty years I arranged my jobs so that I could take about four months a year off--god, I miss that; I've been full time for exactly 15 years now--I celebrated "March Day" as if it was a major holiday. Yeah, it is a kick to pay Uncle Sam less while enjoying life more. My sub-conscious keeps telling me to R now rather than later--I may tell my co-workers that I'm going back to my old ways; they knew me when.

All the best, Amy, you and your DH are in my day dreams.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've asked if I can cut my hours to part-time starting this summer. I had planned to leave in September, but the recent downturn has me nervous, and I wouldn't mind just tapering off. I don't mind my job that much, but want more free time. It would be nice to get some pay and benefits, while having plenty of time off.

My manager is willing and actually is all for it, because he wouldn't have to replace me, and knows my workload is dwindling. But, he's getting resistance from above, which he's still fighting. If it doesn't come through, I will leave as planned.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I cut back from full time to three days a week for eight years before I called it quits . It enabled me to enjoy life more and let the saving grow until I retired . I found the less you have the less you live on . I did not even notice the loss of salary.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on getting a part time job after I retire from my present job. They will not offer reduced hours, but that's OK, because it sucks anyway.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Amy, you probably have noted Bob Clyatt's book which touts the advantages of doing as you suggest. Bob posts here as ESRBob. A good read, if you haven't seen it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I am thru eldercaring my feeble parent and she passes, I am going to: 1. find a place to live; 2. travel and 3. start a small business. Both my father and grandfather worked until they were 82, and I don't see why I can't also.
I'm single, my son is doing his thing probably in some other city, and work is not only an excellent way to meet people--but keep some cash flow rolling in--AND has the added benefit of keeping the old mind going. I could occupy myself strictly with the investments, but yawn! I need some variety in work.
I see no positives in me, personally, quitting work totally so long as I am single and answering only to myself. Granted, not the godawful steady 60 plus hours I worked the last 16, but work selling something that allows me to sandwich in a month or few weeks off here and there for travel overseas (maybe an import product).
What is good for me is probably not appealing to others, I understand that.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have chosen to work my butt a LOT less.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I have chosen to work my butt a LOT less.
I wanted to say something like that but you said it better!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy5708 View Post
We are thinking of not so much "retiring" completely and early, but backing off on working. This will allow us to move sooner, live in a location that we want to retire in, and still have our off days to enjoy the locale. Anyone else do this?
Our plan is exactly the same, but it's hard to walk away from more pay for less pay and so far I haven't been able to convince myself to do it. And all the lesser paying jobs on my list have their own sources of grief, so I might as well get paid well to be unhappy (exaggeration for effect). Having to fund our own health care compounds our hesitation, if we ever get universal health care in the US I would probably leave shortly thereafter, presumably along with several million others. I'm banking on one day the current job will become so distasteful and/or boring that the money just won't matter any more - time will tell. I just hope I have the good sense to leave before my performance suffers noticeably and they show me the door, but that would not be the worst day of my life. Good luck...we're on the same page.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I cut back to 4 days a week about 4 months ago. Sometimes 3 days a week. Sometimes I work from home or our vacation home. The key for me was to delegate tasks and maintain communication while I'm away. DW still works full time so we cant really get away from home much. But I'm enjoying it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Amy, you probably have noted Bob Clyatt's book which touts the advantages of doing as you suggest. Bob posts here as ESRBob. A good read, if you haven't seen it.
Actually, I have read it, and found it an easy read. I figure that if I enjoy what I do, and it allows me to do what I want (travel), then why give it up?

I personally think DH would freak if he didn't have something he HAD to do on a regular basis; he can't just relax.
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy5708 View Post
I figure that if I enjoy what I do, and it allows me to do what I want (travel), then why give it up?
Only partially true in my case. I also love what I do very much. But I don't want to do it 60+ hours a week plus nights plus Sundays. So it's more a matter of scale than content for me. ESR seems to be the answer if I can swing it - so far so good.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amy,
We're in the middle of doing what you're thinking about for about the same reasons. I left the work grind last Oct and we're moving to a cottage we have in the Outer Banks in June with a 10 yr old in tow.

We're both cutting back to ~2 "low tech" work days per week and figure to go another 3-5 years or so (~$40k/yr). Just finished up my first painting gig and one consulting job ($15k for 4 weeks effort). I'm teaching kiteboarding at one of local shops on the island this summer and volunteering on a mussel bed reclimation project.

DW has worked a "reduced hours long distance" deal with her current contract job for about 9 months after we move. She'll use the time find (or start) something locally that she would enjoy. Also wants to start selling her jewelry as a hobby. We'll have to see how it all goes. So far so good
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I've quit several times at w*rk. They (mgmt) just don't know it.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
....... Having to fund our own health care compounds our hesitation, if we ever get universal health care in the US I would probably leave shortly thereafter, presumably along with several million others. .....
Possibly one of the reasons "universal health care" will never fly in an economic sense -

As far as I know all the projections of the various proposed uhc plans make no allowance for the possibility that the implementation of uhc might cause tens of millions of olders to decide to make the leap to the world of the not-working (partly-working) knowing they could get society to subsidize the greater portion of their health care - leaving the wage-earners to foot an even greater bill.

You can always expect that people are going to work the system to their personal benefit.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If I really enjoyed my work, I wouldn't stop doing it, especially if I could build at least some flexibility into the schedule.

My dream, of course, is for my wife to find a decent job with adequate benefits that she really enjoys. I've been the sole breadwinner for so many years, for various reasons, that I'm looking forward to reaping the rewards in the future.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote