Does anyone drive a 2017 or newer Chevy Colorado?

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm particularly looking for experiences with the 3.6 liter V6. I'm thinking of getting a new compact/midsize pickup, and while I'm generally a Ford fan in the truck department, I don't especially like the cabin layout of the new Ranger.

From what I've read, the Colorado has a nicer ride than the Ranger as well (a low bar to clear if my 2005 model is an example). Earlier versions of the 3.6 have a reputation for expensive timing chain failures, but I understand they've made some design changes. The version of the 3.6 that goes into the Colorado and GMC Canyon is designated LGZ, if that's any help.

Consumer Reports survey of owners say the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models of the Chevy Colorado (and its twin, the GMC Canyon) rate "much below average" in overall reliability. The problem area is the transmission, not the engine.

FWIW, owners give much better marks to the 2020 model, but I question whether one year of ownership is enough to judge reliability.

While I have no personal experience with the truck, I have a friend who purchased a new 2019 and has had some serious problems with his transmission.

Consumer Reports survey of owners say the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models of the Chevy Colorado (and its twin, the GMC Canyon) rate "much below average" in overall reliability. The problem area is the transmission, not the engine.

FWIW, owners give much better marks to the 2020 model, but I question whether one year of ownership is enough to judge reliability.

While I have no personal experience with the truck, I have a friend who purchased a new 2019 and has had some serious problems with his transmission.

Good info, thanks. Now that you mention it, I have read some gripes about the transmission/torque converter.

For the same or less money, my 2020 F150 STX is a better buy. The 2.7 engine is incredibly fast in Sport Mode, and I'm getting 22.5 mpg average. On the open road, I'm seeing 25 mpg. The back seat's about as large as a limo.

The STX has enough options and is high tech enough for me. Only thing I'd like is a power driver seat that's N/A.

It's a far superior buy than the Ranger or the Colorado. The 3.6 GM engine may now be okay, but it has a history of timing gear and chains breaking--$3000 repair minimum. My son's been through two 3.6 engines, and finally went with a Jasper new engine with a warranty.

For the same or less money, my 2020 F150 STX is a better buy. The 2.7 engine is incredibly fast in Sport Mode, and I'm getting 22.5 mpg average. On the open road, I'm seeing 25 mpg. The back seat's about as large as a limo.

The STX has enough options and is high tech enough for me. Only thing I'd like is a power driver seat that's N/A.

It's a far superior buy than the Ranger or the Colorado. The 3.6 GM engine may now be okay, but it has a history of timing gear and chains breaking--$3000 repair minimum. My son's been through two 3.6 engines, and finally went with a Jasper new engine with a warranty.

I'll take a look at the F-150, but to be honest, I prefer the size of the Ranger. I know they're pricier pound for pound than the Effie, but they've commanded that premium for a long time.

I'm of the opinion that all trucks are overpriced. I'd love to see compact models come back, but there isn't enough profit in them apparently.

I know you asked 2017 model. I have a 2016 Z71 Colorado. 3.6 Direct injection gasoline engine, Bought used in 2019 via Enterprise. It is the best pickup I had since my 79 Chevy K20 which I had for 20 years. Great hadling, 22+mpg combined mountain driving. Good bit of dirt road travels. So far no problems, great in 7" snow on the back unplowed roads.

Edit add: 2016 has 6 speed auto tranny, electrical switch on dash to control transfer case. 2017 up, 8 speed with auto track 4WD, far more complicated.

Last edited:
Reliability. If you plan on 100,000 miles +, Stick with Toyota, but plan on spending more $. Otherwise, listen to Scotty Kilmer. Podcasts.

I'm not a fan of Scotty, but thanks. I also appreciate the info on the 2016 Colorado as well. I assume that truck has the 3.6 liter V6.

My '05 Ranger FX4 has been pretty reliable in the 9 years I've owned it. But corrosion is getting in the frame, unfortunately. It's a hazard of life in the rust belt.

I'm going to give the Nissan Frontier a closer look. The 2020 is getting a new engine and transmission but keeping the old body style for one more year. They appear to be a pretty reliable truck. Critics' main complaint seems to be that the infotainment screen isn't big enough. I can live with that.

I thought I'd "bring closure" to this thread. I bought the 2021 Ranger. Ordered it in late February, took delivery in mid-July. I would have bought one off the lot somewhere, but every truck I saw was either black, white or gray. Plus, the lot offerings lacked the rear locking differential. If I'm gonna spend $30k for a truck, it's going to have all the features I want (locker, tow package, rear sliding window for the pooch) and none of the ones I don't care about (carpeting, infotainment).

I've had the Ranger about a month and am impressed with its acceleration. I do not think this is a 200K-mile engine, but I'm not getting any younger. After I run about 1K on the odo I'll probably shop for a tune. I did get the seat upgrade since I know Ford's basic seats are historically poor.

Here's a pic:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/members/20620-albums274-picture2449.html

Good looking truck! I know you said you wanted to bring closure to this thread, but I'd be curious to hear from time to time, how your truck holds up in the long run. Hope you have good luck with it!

Good looking truck! I know you said you wanted to bring closure to this thread, but I'd be curious to hear from time to time, how your truck holds up in the long run. Hope you have good luck with it!

Certainly. I'm generally skeptical of the direct-injection turbo engines -- they seem destined for a short life. But it is what is out there. It may be interim engineering, like the junk that automakers designed in the '70s. I'll be happy to document any headaches that come down the pike.

A little late, but I bought a 2020 Colorado last year, and I like it way more than I expected.
It has operated flawlessly.

Consumer Reports is down on all Chevrolet vehicles. It makes me question if they are totally unbiased.

I did recently read something stating that the reliability on the newer Coloados is above average.

I also read about early issues with the 9 speed transmission. I believe the Tacomas also had transmission issues with their newer transmissions.

Good luck with your new truck.

JP

I thought I'd "bring closure" to this thread. I bought the 2021 Ranger. Ordered it in late February, took delivery in mid-July. I would have bought one off the lot somewhere, but every truck I saw was either black, white or gray.
I like it.

Very tired of every car being black, white, or gray.

My uncle bought a 2016 Colorado, which I think is the style still in production. I dunno...I used to be able to keep track of all the model year changes and such, but these days they seem to all run together.

He just got the 4-cyl. Extended cab, and a fairly short bed. 4wd. He hasn't had any major issues that he knows of, but he only has about 25,000 miles. I've ridden in it a few times, and driven it a few times. It's not a bad little rig, but I'm just used to full-sized pickups, so it's not really my thing.

My uncle is used to full-sized trucks, himself, and occasionally second-guesses himself, and thinks he should trade it and buy a big truck. However, he thinks of a "big truck" as something like his old '97 Silverado, which he let me use as a trade in on a 2012 Ram after it tried to do the driveshaft pole vault. He hates my Ram, because he says it's too cumbersome, and too hard to climb up into, and that's whey he ended up with a Colorado. But every time he gets the urge for a bigger truck, I have to remind him that they're all like that these days. I'm sure an F-150 or Silverado is just as hard to climb up into as my Ram.

I really don't see much difference between my Ram and his Colorado, when it comes to the "climb up into it" department. It seems to me that the floor is about the same height; it's just the Ram's seat is higher. So you still have to lift your leg just as high to get in. It's just that with the Ram, you have to raise your butt a bit higher!

Back
Top Bottom