Join Early Retirement Today

Does Anyone Here Use A Kindle?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Anyone Here Use A Kindle?

I'm tempted to buy a Kindle to lessen the time I spend sitting at my desk looking at the computer screen at home. Reading books while sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen doesn't really cut it for me, and it struck me that on the Kindle, I could also browse my favorite message boards.

Does anyone here use a Kindle to browse these forums and if so, does everything display legibly on the monochrome screen with the experimental Kindle browser?
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #2

i use the Kindle app on my iPad. Works like a charm.

R
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I too use the Kindle app on my Ipod, really works well I think. I thought the screen would be too small, etc but it really is pretty easy to read and to use.

I know of one person who has the actual Kindle, and she loves it. Wait I know two actually, the first woman bought the second version and gave her old Kindle to another woman I know. They both love it.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

It's the actual Kindle I'm interested in. I'm already convinced of the suitability of the non-backlit screen for reading text, but am particularly keen to know if the monochrome browser is adequate for browsing this, and other, forums that are mainly text-based.

Thanks for all replies so far.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
gone traveling

DW bought me a DX for my birthday last summer, though I was initially skeptical, I love it. Battery life is incredible (if you don't forget to turn the wireless off...) and the electronic ink resolution is perfect for reading. Books download in a few seconds, and there is a ton of content available. I've got over 50 books loaded on mine, and a few pdf files as well.

The Ipad screen was too shiny/glossy/bright for me to read for an extended period of time, the matte screen on the Kindle is a lot easier on my eyes.

DW liked mine so much, I bought her one for Valentines Day. (every time I'd set mine down she'd grab it, load a book and start reading- I actually had to read paper books while she had mine tied up...) She got the smaller version, which has two benefits- It is easier to stow in her carry-on travel bag, and I was able to order the leather cover..red, for Valentines Day...with a built-in light.

They're marginal as a web browser, but work OK for text-based apps like ER.org. The bigger DX is better for reading newspapers, IMO.

If you want a great reader get the Kindle. If you want another computer, get a tablet with a reading app.

My 2 cents worth, for free.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #6

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear Westernskies. Whenever I have caught a glimpse of a Kindle (usually by looking over someone's shoulder on the train) I've been surprised by how pleasant the text on that screen is to the eyes - almost like looking at ink on paper. I saw a Nook at Barnes and Noble yesterday and liked the display, but from what I'm reading, the Kindle is pretty much the best e-reader out there.

The fact that there are many pre-1923 books available for free download helps in justifying the cost of the device also.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I recall quite a bit of information about the Kindle and other e-book readers on this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-50616.html
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

just got one, and love it. esp nice when I am reading outside. the screen is great.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #9

I got a Color Nook, mostly because I could root it and use it as a tablet PC. I have not had any issues adjusting from printed books to it. Some say it doesn't work well in the sun, but I typically only read at bedtime so its not a worry for me.

I turn on the wifi and can check my email, gmail, surf the web, etc.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I got a Color Nook, mostly because I could root it and use it as a tablet PC. I have not had any issues adjusting from printed books to it. Some say it doesn't work well in the sun, but I typically only read at bedtime so its not a worry for me.

I turn on the wifi and can check my email, gmail, surf the web, etc.
+1 I also got the Nook Color. I didn't root it since I am waiting for a firmware upgrade that may meet me needs without that. I may root it later* -- particularly if I decide I want a Kindle App on the device. The main reason I would go with a Nook vs Kindle is that the Nook can read library books. I prefer to borrow books, not buy them. The main reason for a Color Nook vs a black and white is for non-book things -- browsing the web, email, etc., and for the touch screen.

* I did burn an Android mini SD card and have inserted that in the Nook to see what it is like as a full blow Droid tablet. It seems pretty nice but I couldn't figure out how to get the thing to write to the SD card so I couldn't install any additional apps
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Administrator

My Kindle DX was the best gift in years and it has allowed me to increase my reading by an order of magnitude. For me, however, the keypad is difficult and too limited. I haven't tried browsing yet and probably won't if the speeds are as slow as I have read.

We are still a few years away from a device that effectively combines reading with portable and home computing and does not require separate subscription fees.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my Kindle over a year ago, and carry it with me constantly (in my purse). I read books on my Kindle every single day. My reading has increased markedly. I haven't read a DTB ("dead tree book", book made of paper) since I bought it. The Kindle is THAT good.

Buy one and find out for yourself!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #13

I just got email from Amazon that today they're selling the Kindle DX for $80 off. My first thought was they're reducing inventory getting ready to introduce a new model. I want one with colored electronic inks. (I can't help with the original question of the thread.)
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #14

I have the [non-color] Nook and love it. I chose it over the Kindle because I can download books from my library...for free. Unless things have changed since my purchase, you cannot do that with Kindle.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I have a Nook. The browser is okay for my needs . I had a Pandigital Novel which is basically the color Nook but it wasn't perfected yet so I returned it . They have since been working on it . The browser on that was way better than the Kindle or basic Nook browser and it is in color and can be rooted easily . I think it is also less expensive so check it out .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Does anyone here use a Kindle to browse these forums and if so, does everything display legibly on the monochrome screen with the experimental Kindle browser?
I have a 3rd generation Kindle and an iPad. Interestingly, about 40% of iPad owners also own a Kindle. I find using the Kindle to read books a vastly superior experience to sitting at a computer to do the same thing. However, there are some caveats. The Kindle is VERY poor at viewing illustrations. For example, if you are reading a book that has some maps, the maps are typically displayed so small (because of the form factor of the Kindle) that are very difficult to read. So, it's best to use the Kindle to read books that are pure text, such as most fiction. In addition, some Kindle books are formatted very poorly compared to the print edition. For example, I am currently reading a biography of Bismarck on my Kindle, which is a good book except that the formatting is so mangled that it's difficult to read (I've gone to a bookstore and examined that hardcover edition to verify this point). another idiosyncrasy of the Kindle is that the Kindle software versions for various computers may format the book differently than the actual hardware device (I have also verified this point).

I have not extensively used the built-in browser. Note that the browser is billed as an "experimental" feature. My limited experience with it is that it's slow and very painful to use. I would never consider using it unless I had no other choice.

I do not use my Kindle to read blogs; although, the Kindle store makes it easy to subscribe to the RSS feeds of thousands of blogs. I do not know if the Early Retirement forum is one of the choices available via the Kindle store. There are 3rd party solutions for doing the same thing, but I have never investigated and of these.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I recall quite a bit of information about the Kindle and other e-book readers on this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-50616.html
Thanks REWahoo - very informative thread. I'm a big fan of searching a forum before posting a question but the knee-jerk reaction won over this morning. It could have been that I hadn't yet had my first cup of coffee........
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #18

I was hoping that the browser was a little better. If I can use it to browse forums like this one and check e-mail, then the free 3G starts to look quite attractive.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks REWahoo - very informative thread. I'm a big fan of searching a forum before posting a question but the knee-jerk reaction won over this morning. It could have been that I hadn't yet had my first cup of coffee........
No problem...glad I could help.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
I'd rather rely on a new thread for up-to-date information on consumer electronics technology, it changes so fast...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote