Join Early Retirement Today

Does Canada Stand For Anything?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Canada Stand For Anything?

Here's your link. It's out of the National Post.

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...3-ef6687df8318

Here's just part of it, as it's a long article. Quote:

In recent years, it has fallen primarily to the United States, Britain and Australia to take the lead in Afghanistan, Iraq, Sierra Leone, East Timor, Kosovo, Bosnia and Haiti. In some operations -- Afghanistan and the Balkans, most notably -- we have played significant roles. Too often, however, we flex our moral muscles for the benefit of passers-by while our allies do the heavy lifting.

Our refusal to participate in the U.S. ballistic missile shield, a project that would protect Canadian and American cities alike from immolation, is perhaps the best example yet of how thoroughly fantasy and reality diverge in Ottawa. On Thursday, our government declared it would have nothing to do with the shield -- a foolish gesture meant to placate the pacifists in the Liberal caucus. But the next day, our PM advanced the conceit that the Americans would still have to consult with us before activating the system. One can practically hear the howls of laughter emanating from the few Washington officials who still bother to inform themselves of Ottawa's pronouncements: Can anyone seriously imagine that the President would ask our PM for permission to shoot down a missile heading for a U.S. target?

We stand at a crossroads. Either we will continue to shrivel into our role as the world's impotent scold. Or we can begin to reclaim our status as a leader on the international stage. We urge the Prime Minister and his Cabinet to use the upcoming foreign-policy and military reviews to restore Canada's place in the world community and put an end to our unconscionable drift.

Unquote

Since we have had some criticism of the U.S. and our current administration from our Canadian friends on this forum, I though turn-about was fair play. Particularly when it is coming from a Canadian newspaper URL.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Does Canada Stand For Anything?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Since we have had some criticism of the U.S. and our current administration from our Canadian friends on this forum, I though turn-about was fair play. *Particularly when it is coming from a Canadian newspaper URL.
Ok, I'll bite but I'm unsure on two points. First, what criticism of the US? Are you referring to either my supposition that the rate of US black children being shot is tied to the poverty rate or to my comments to the fellow who wants to rub squirrel entrails over his body? Second what about the article do you want to discuss? Or are you just randomly selecting critical articles?

Quote:
Here's your link. It's out of the National Post.
Well, that tells you a lot right there. If you're not aware of it the "National" Post is Conrad Black's baby and he's basically an American sycophant. While he sold off the paper a few years back so that he could collect a knighthood in the UK the paper hasn't changed much since then.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my comments to the fellow who wants to rub squirrel entrails over his body?
LMAO
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #4

No disrespect, but when was Canada ever a
"leader on the international stage"? Guess I missed
it

JG
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #5

Canada is a lead on the international stage, as far as having more wilderness and fishing water than any other nation on the Planet!

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything desireable that the current U.S. administration represents.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

They are either very smart in Canada or very lucky. Now if it was only warm!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turnabout is completely fair play although personally I am probably harder on our Government in Ottawa than those of other countries. I would suggest those interested read the entire article which I in part agree with. *

Another excerpt *from the article.

For all our grousing about U.S. policy, how different are such principles from George W. Bush's declared aim to spread liberty? History shows that freedom and "human security" go hand-in-hand. How can we shy away from the U.S. effort to spread the former if we hope to make good on rhetoric concerning the latter?...unquote

Now to play devils advocate, I think GW will liberate you even if it kills you.

BTW GW had my complete support in Afganistan.

ROTFLMAO

Bruce
Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite but I'm unsure on two points. *First, what criticism of the US? *Are you referring to either my supposition that the rate of US black children being shot is tied to the poverty rate or to my comments to the fellow who wants to rub squirrel entrails over his body? *Second what about the article do you want to discuss? *Or are you just randomly selecting critical articles?

Well, that tells you a lot right there. *If you're not aware of it the "National" Post is Conrad Black's baby and he's basically an American sycophant. *While he sold off the paper a few years back so that he could collect a knighthood in the UK the paper hasn't changed much since then.

I was not referring specifically to you, but to a general idea "that Canada is great, and the U.S. sucks."This just grates on me and several times I wrote posts which I discarded. But, no more.

What I'd like to see, from Canada and Europe, is a little more open support and a little less hectoring. I see both as getting somewhat of a free ride. Americans are dying for other people. Americans are spending their largess for other people. Please, a little respect here.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I was not referring specifically to you, but to a general idea "that Canada is great, and the U.S. sucks."This just grates on me and several times I wrote posts which I discarded. *But, no more. *

What I'd like to see, from Canada and Europe, is a little more open support and a little less hectoring. *I see both as getting somewhat of a free ride. *Americans are dying for other people. *Americans are spending their largess for other people. * * Please, a little respect here.
How about a little respect for Canadians and Europeans thinking for themselves? Why do they have to approve of everything the US does? Maybe, people in those countries (right or wrong) don't buy into what the US is selling. Isn't the point of democracy that people are free to make up their own minds and to push their governments to act according to the wishes of the people? Survey after survey in Canada and Europe show that they do not buy into the neocon agenda. Why should they?

And let us not forget, Americans (some) are also profitting nicely from our "largess" and many of our adventures abroad - regardless of how it is sold to the masses - are to further Americans interests and not to better the lives of others but it's great when we can sell it that way.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I'd like to see, from Canada and Europe, is a little more open support and a little less hectoring. *I see both as getting somewhat of a free ride. *Americans are dying for other people. *Americans are spending their largess for other people. * * Please, a little respect here.
What a joke! The US, especially under this administration, is about naked self interest on the world stage. You mentally challenged, or just too much of a Republican party liner? We didn't send our troops out for the benefit of the world. We did it to advance our narrow interests, as always. Don't expect everyone else (who frankly were endangered by our actions) to jump up and down and applaud.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Diefenbaker probably would have joined in the international effort to help stabilize the world. Every PM since Pearson has been of the opinion that no crisis ever justifies the use of force.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
. . . What I'd like to see, from Canada and Europe, is a little more open support and a little less hectoring. *I see both as getting somewhat of a free ride. *Americans are dying for other people. *Americans are spending their largess for other people. * * Please, a little respect here.
I've heard this from a number of people recently, but I don't really understand the sentiment. Europe and Canada didn't ask the US to go to war and send men to their death. In fact, they asked them not to. The US administration today heralds their success at bringing democracy (at least in some form) to Iraq, then turns around and criticizes the democracies of Europe for deciding in a completely democratic process not to support us. They (the democracies of Europe and Canada) do not believe that war is the answer in Iraq. They do not believe that the US invasion and occupation is helping the long-term problem. So naturally, they are not showing respect for that action.

You may disagree with them, but if democracy is the precious reason for us to send so many people to their death, we should show some respect for their democracies in action.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...You may disagree with them, but if democracy is the precious reason for us to send so many people to their death, we should show some respect for their democracies in action. *
Seems awful logical to me.