Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
I got 10lbs of potatoes for 35 cents a lb at Aldi on Saturday.

10 cents a lb would be awesome!
Thanks. I have an Aldi's near me. I'll have to check it out.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Aldi takes some getting used to.

They only take cash or debit cards for payment. If you want a cart, you need a quarter to use as the key. If you don't bring your own bags, theirs are 5 cents each.

Produce quality varies day to day, and can range from marginal to excellent, at the same store. Produce is not refrigerated, so I try to get there early.

They only sell their own house brand products. Some are great, some are loaded with all sorts of artificial crap. I read the ingredient lists carefully and note what meets my standards.

With a little patience, quality food can be had at prices 33 to 50 percent lower than anywhere else. I consider it a worthwhile trade off.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I think a major component of item inflation over the past few years is diesel fuel costs. Trucks, trains, and tractors run on the stuff and the more it costs the truckers, train haulers and farmers they will pass the costs along the way. The consumer eats the bulk of the increases at the time of purchase.

There is no end in sight for fuel prices and therefore, no end in price inflation for goods and services that rely in any part on fuel. Don't expect these current prices to be lowered any time in the near future. '

There is also a component to inflation from bottled up price increases over the past 3-4 years where merchandisers could not raise prices due to curtailed buying by the consumer so these retailers have been living on razor thin margins for a while and once the dam breaks on prices higher and higher prices will happen as the retailers try to pay off their debts from lower cash flows over the past several years of lower consumer spending.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seeing some food inflation here in Chiang Mai. Pork fried rice with an egg: before 40 baht; now 45 baht. Small bag of pop corn: before 10 baht; now 12 baht. Not a deal breaker but inflation none the less

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote