Join Early Retirement Today

Does everything seem more expensive to you?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does everything seem more expensive to you?

I was going to come in here and complain about the high prices of appliances. But I went to Google instead and found this
US Inflation Rate for Appliances

According to them I'm wrong-and should be saving 20% by having waited to buy.
I guess I'm looking at upgrades from my old stuff ( I will be feeling really rich if I have an icemaker and water in the door)

Anyway that website gives you a chance to see their stats on lots of categories- what goes up and whats gone down. Household food is UP-so I'm not completely crazy.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh yeah, everything. Probably as you age, the impression is magnified. I'm pretty old (69), so for a hair cut, I'm thinking of a basic figure of 75 cents. A price of $20 or so (or whatever it is now) seems so ridiculous to me, that I haven't been able to pay for a hair cut for decades (I cut my own hair). For a car, I'm thinking around $1000 -- more than that? -- it's a problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've whined in several threads about the zooming cost of having anyone do anything. In my neck of the woods, it's now over $100 for a repairman to come and look at an appliance, over and above the cost of any repair.

The cost of having the WaPo delivered (something husband insists on, and will not be swayed) has more than doubled in 4 years. From $22 to $53, and no end in sight to the inflation.

(No wonder we try to compensate with "free estimates" from contractors...interviewed seven different roofers before we made our choice ).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Since I retired in 06 I've been tracking expenses and I can actually see the ravages of inflation, amazing.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yes! There does seem to be quite a bit of inflation in the past few years. Seems like every time I try to estimate the price of something in advance, the real price is 50% greater.

On the other hand, everyone needs money in this economic climate, so there are some bargains to be had as well.

The inflation graphing at that link is fun to play with.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #6

Bi-flation has been observed by many. The net CPI index remains modest but things that you buy are going up. yet things you own (like your house) has been going down. The price of service-oriented items you spend money on seems to be going down. The net CPI number doesn't really tell the story.

Quote:
A new form of inflation is increasingly described in the blogosphere. It better explains the pricing paradox Mr. Bernanke has failed to embrace.
It's called "biflation."
Everything you already own -- a house, a car, a stock portfolio -- has rapidly declined in value. Everything you actually need to buy -- food, gasoline, medicine, education -- is going up.
Regarding appliances, I suspect that the price of high-end units are coming down. It's the moderate level appliances that seem to be going up. So if you are shopping for moderate level appliances they may indeed be more costly even though the average price can be tracked downward.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think things should cost what they did when I graduated high school. $12K for a nice mid-grade Oldsmobile. Never mind that they don't make Oldsmobiles anymore :-).

Objectively, my spending has been flat over the past 4.5 years, but that's because I've actively worked on cutting back or economizing in certain areas. The two categories that have increased for me recently have been utilities and groceries. Two factors that affect my grocery budget is that I am buying more convenience foods these days, and that I am shopping more often at a nearer but somewhat more expensive grocery store.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We've been buying a weekly $9.95 Costco takeout pizza for over eight years now. Looks like it's the same size, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've been buying a weekly $9.95 Costco takeout pizza for over eight years now. Looks like it's the same size, too.
Costco pizza Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Shopping there also means hot dog and soft drink for lunch at $1.61 (I included tax) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm too. Now if they would just have a $.50 beer life would be complete.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I track the price of food I buy when grocery shopping. I am regularly bumping things up by 10 or 20% lately, even at Aldi.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #11

Price of food is definitely going up a lot faster than reported inflation. Main culprit is turning food (i.e. corn) into fuel. As the price of corn goes up, so does just about all food items (cereals, meats [pigs like corn ya know], milk [cows like corn ya know] and just about anything that has corn sweetening in it [a very big list].

Burning food just doesn't seem like a great idea. . . .
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that for folks of modest means or lifestyles, the published inflation rate is usually a cruel joke. Between the impact of "substitution" and the fact that the rise in food, energy, health care and other essential expenses is masked by a drop in the price of cruise vacations and big-screen TVs, the cost of "living the basics" is probably running 2-3x more inflation than the published CPI over the last 2-3 years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
The problem is that for folks of modest means or lifestyles, the published inflation rate is usually a cruel joke. Between the impact of "substitution" and the fact that the rise in food, energy, health care and other essential expenses is masked by a drop in the price of cruise vacations and big-screen TVs, the cost of "living the basics" is probably running 2-3x more inflation than the published CPI over the last 2-3 years.
So you're saying the best way to beat inflation is to spend more on vacations and big-screen TVs, so the average price of my spending isn't increasing as much?
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

In the last 3 years we have gone from buying maybe 30% of our groceries at BJs, to buying 75% there, because grocery store prices have increased so much. The big-box prices have increased, too, yet the volume discounts have partly made up for it. Fortunately, we have room to store big-box-sized packages, and the discipline to plan our shopping trips.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been trying to feed myself on $4 a day since the start of the year. I am eating things like rice, pasta, brocolli, lettuce, onions, beans, etc. No meat and little corn, yet prices still go up. This is more than corn being burned for fuel.

I switched from a largely pre-packeged diet at the start of the year, because I was spending $400+ a month on groceries. Food had gotten so expensive.

On top of changing eating styles, where I shop has changed as well. Trips to Trader Joes and Jewel have been replaced with Aldi and Meijer.

Substitution is definitely in effect for me.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm still getting my $5 large pizza from Little Caesars. Only one topping but who cares when chasing it down with a cold med or two.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When I was in the grocery store last week, just for fun I took note of the prices of things I am currently growing in my container garden (beans, peas, tomatoes, garlic, spinach, oregano, parsley, scallions). Needless to say, I was astounded. These prices were what I was used to seeing in wintertime in past years.
Mr B has turned me on to shopping at Aldi's and ordering meat through the wholesalers who service the Legion we go to. We have split cases of meatballs, steaks, hot link sausage with other members and have bought two 8-10 lb pork tenderloins so far. Big savings!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My standard yardstick for rising costs is Fancy Feast cat food. It's gone way up in cost. Good thing I love my kitties. Otherwise I'd have to feed them people food
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
My standard yardstick for rising costs is Fancy Feast cat food.
Your very own CPI - Cat Price Index!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Your very own CPI - Cat Price Index!

My own CPI - that's a good one REW!

DH and I share our home with 4 cats. Yeah, I know that seems like a lot to some folks, but the way we figure it, weight and time wise, they equal about one big dog.

Seriously though, for pet lovers the cost of pet food has gone up a lot. But vet bills are through the roof - much like health care for people. No wonder why so many people going through difficult times are giving up their pets. Shelters and rescue groups are overloaded. Such a sad situation