does ground coffee spoil?

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been making my own crude version of cold brew coffee.
I normally buy the 12 oz bags.

This time I bought the 30 oz canister of Maxwell House Medium.

I opened the seal and I did not smell the nice aroma of fresh coffee ground. I had my mother smell it and she agreed. It smelt burnt.

Is it that Maxwell House is not good coffee or did I receive a bad canister?
The expiration date is August 2021.

Does coffee spoil?

Does a duck quack?

Coffee's flavors are volatile; spoil quickly. The canister might not have been sealed properly at the factory, etc.

As for Maxwell House, like Folgers, it's an acquired taste. It's very strong coffee, which some people like. I mean, to me, fresh Starbucks tastes burnt.

FWIW: at beginning of the COVID lockdown I bought the 22 oz size of Melitta ground. DW does not drink coffee so it was only me; I have 2 to 3 cups in the morning. It smelled nice and fresh when I opened it, it was kept in the cabinet, and it was just as good with the last coffee I brewed with it.
Based on your description, I'd return the coffee if you can. If not, obviously brew some coffee and see if you taste any difference. You can always contact Maxwell House directly; I'm positive you'd get a coupon for a free can.

I should make it clear that I just opened the coffee canister this afternoon.
It was sealed properly from the factory.

I expected the nice aroma of ground coffee when you open a brand new package.
It isn't the taste as I have just started the cold brew process but the smell of the ground coffee.

Last edited:
you are much better off buying whole beans and grinding them at home right before you are ready to use them. you can either have a sperate grinder or there are machines that will grind the beans and then make the coffee.

Agreed. Also, I've heard the first cup of a pot is the most bitter because the oil from the ground beans floats to the top.
you are much better off buying whole beans and grinding them at home right before you are ready to use them. you can either have a sperate grinder or there are machines that will grind the beans and then make the coffee.

Ground coffee definitely goes bad, so we grind from whole beans like others above. Lots of sources online, here’s just one https://gobadornot.com/ground-coffee/
Coffee grounds last from one to two weeks if it’s stored properly. However, if you’re ever in doubt it’s the best to use the coffee grounds within one week, for the peak of its flavor.

I understand. It may just be that you don't care for the smell of Maxwell House. The English language is not very precise when it comes to describing smells; did you get an acrid or unpleasant odor? That indicates spoilage. But a very strong, acidic odor could just be the coffee.

It isn't the taste as I have just started the cold brew process but the smell of the ground coffee.

I mean, to me, fresh Starbucks tastes burnt.
Our DD likes to drink coffee, and she shares the same opinion as you, particularly since she usually drinks coffee black, occasionally with a light amount of cream/milk. She would go to our local 7-11 before going to Starbucks, claiming that particular 7-11 was usually on top of keeping fresh coffee available, and it was never burnt tasting to her.

Whenever I walk into a 7-11, which admittedly isn't often, there's usually a nice smell of brewed coffee. Stores know this aroma draws customers.

As a child, I would go with my Mom to the A&P store, which sold 8 o'clock Coffee freshly ground in the store. It always smelled heavenly.

Our DD likes to drink coffee, and she shares the same opinion as you, particularly since she usually drinks coffee black, occasionally with a light amount of cream/milk. She would go to our local 7-11 before going to Starbucks, claiming that particular 7-11 was usually on top of keeping fresh coffee available, and it was never burnt tasting to her.

I don't know if ground coffe spoils. I do know that coffe sitting in a C130's coffe urn for 20+hours is brutal. Experienced it on a Coast Guard flight from Kodiak to Cold Bay.
At my camp store bought canned ground coffee last 2 to 3 weeks. Buy the stuff called Donut shop coffee. Make it into drip coffee. My taste buds can not discern the subtleties from day one to day 21.
OTOH when I go to favorite coffee shop, I buy Americano. Two shots of espresso and top it off with hot water, made on the spot. Tastes great.
Had $trabuck$ once, Yecchhhh!!!!

As a child, I would go with my Mom to the A&P store, which sold 8 o'clock Coffee freshly ground in the store. It always smelled heavenly.

Great memories! At about 5 yrs old I remember standing in front of the coffee grinder at A&P while Mom shopped just to watch the coffee being ground and to smell the aroma. Now I always stop or at least slow down as I pass the coffee grinder at Costco and relive those memories each time.

Cheers1

If it’s not outdated, I’d return it if it isn’t satisfactory. I like a brand of coffee I can’t get here, and when I can get it stock up. I store it in the frig and it’s always fine when I open it.

On another note, it was the first thing I realized I couldn’t smell taste when I got COVID. Coffee (and cinnamon) still taste slightly burnt to me.

Coffee grounds will lose freshness and taste different after time, but I’ve never heard of them being spoiled before opening them. I purchase grounds in 12 oz bags - Foldgers 1850 Black Gold - and keep them in a specific coffee container (Amazon) that has an airtight seal to help with freshness.
Starbucks is probably my favorite coffee - don’t get it a lot, but love it.

I have been making my own crude version of cold brew coffee.
I normally buy the 12 oz bags.

This time I bought the 30 oz canister of Maxwell House Medium.

I opened the seal and I did not smell the nice aroma of fresh coffee ground. I had my mother smell it and she agreed. It smelt burnt.

Is it that Maxwell House is not good coffee or did I receive a bad canister?
The expiration date is August 2021.

I looked around at various Maxwell House products to see if I could find the cost and other comments about Maxwell House Medium. There are a few candidates, and it's possible you bought two different varieties.

If this is what you have:
https://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-Hous...&keywords=maxwell+house&qid=1608992727&sr=8-1
then we're talking 16 cents an ounce. That is what I call cheap coffee. I wouldn't expect much from that purchase. I also looked in the Maxwell House Store at Amazon (link is on that page) and found a variety of others. Some of their products were 20 cents/oz or more.

I searched though various sites to see where the beans come from, and it must be a secret. But some comments lead me to believe they are using Robusta beans in some proportion. You don't get to know the origin either, so it's an experiment in my opinion.

I've had Starbucks coffee, and it is ok for carry-out. But you can also get various blends of their bean or grind blends. Some are not aware of this. We have picked up a bag of Verona or House Blend from time to time from BJs. Some blends may not agree with someone, but for 50 cents/oz. I expect most would say it's a decent coffee.

The next step up would be artisanal coffee at $1.00 per oz.

You'd have to try a few different blends from manufacturers to see what works for you. I'd only buy 12-16 oz. bag to start.

So it is unlikely you have spoiled coffee, but it does sound like you definitely smelled something odd and unagreeable from the cheap coffee. I wouldn't go by ratings at Amazon either. Lots of dishonesty there in the comments.

I buy folgers 51oz container.
When I first open it, there is a strong smell of the ground coffee.
After nearly 4 weeks of use, I notice the coffee at the end of the container, has hardly any smell, or a stale smell.

I really need to try some beans, but don't want to buy a big bag and find I hate the grinding process.

I think any coffee can spoil, as it has natural oils in it.
Over time, even our unground beans lose some of their "oomph" if for some reason we don't drink it fast enough. And we only buy one pound at a time, keep it in an airtight container.

It shouldn't go bad sealed in the can. I got a cold brew device as a gift. Time to start experimenting

I buy folgers 51oz container.
When I first open it, there is a strong smell of the ground coffee.
After nearly 4 weeks of use, I notice the coffee at the end of the container, has hardly any smell, or a stale smell.

I really need to try some beans, but don't want to buy a big bag and find I hate the grinding process.

I buy the larger containers of ground coffee. I open the package and divide it up into several plastic sandwich bags, expelling as much air as I can. Then I put the bags in the freezer. when I open a package, it still has that fresh smell.

Chok-Full-of-Nuts is that heavenly coffee.
Better coffee millionaire money can't buy

Whenever I walk into a 7-11, which admittedly isn't often, there's usually a nice smell of brewed coffee. Stores know this aroma draws customers.

I remember walking to A&P with my grandmother as a child. There were yellow, red and black bags. My memory of this may not be perfect, but I took the bag to the grinder, and a store employee did the deed.

As I've gotten older I prefer my coffee (I dink it black) less strong. I like Dunkin Donuts coffee when I go out, at home I brew Melitta Classic.
But when I liked stronger coffee, which I recommend to anyone here that likes strong coffee, I'd buy Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. If our cruise stopped in Jamaica I'd always buy some, or ask a friend or coworker who might be going to Jamaica. It's been quite a few years, but back then anyway it was quite expensive. It was strong without being bitter. I often see it available, now, at a few supermarkets.

Jamaican Blue Mountain is awesome.
As I've gotten older I prefer my coffee (I dink it black) less strong. I like Dunkin Donuts coffee when I go out, at home I brew Melitta Classic.
But when I liked stronger coffee, which I recommend to anyone here that likes strong coffee, I'd buy Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. If our cruise stopped in Jamaica I'd always buy some, or ask a friend or coworker who might be going to Jamaica. It's been quite a few years, but back then anyway it was quite expensive. It was strong without being bitter. I often see it available, now, at a few supermarkets.

My coffee comes packaged in very tiny containers called beans. I pierce fifty to a hundred containers using a machine called a grinder every time I want coffee. I find the bean containers will last a long time on the shelf if stored away from light, heat and air. Freezing is not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom