Does money buy happiness? Wisdom from Ah-nold.

jon-nyc

Full time employment: Posting here.
I ran across this old Schwarzenegger quote and thought I'd post it for a laugh:

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million, but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. David Lee Roth

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy the financial peace of mind and security that can help avoid misery -- as long as you are master of your money, and your money doesn't consume you.

In reality, that's all I really strive for in my financial position -- peace of mind and security. I don't need a lot of fancy or expensive stuff or excursions. The value that brings me is usually a lot more than the value of the "stuff" it buys.

Hey! No polluting this humorous thread with real wisdom!

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. David Lee Roth

Corollary: I used to have a drug problem, but now I can afford them...

“Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money.”—Anonymous

“Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort.”—Helen Gurley Brown

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can rent you a reasonably close facsimile.

While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.”
― Groucho Marx

Do I have your permission to borrow that one? :D

It will go over better with the DW than the David Lee Roth one! :facepalm:

T-bird
Class of 2013 (56 W*rking Days to go)
DW Class of 2012

From Fiddler on the Roof:

Perchik "Money is the world's curse"

Tevya "May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover"

Money cannot buy love but it sure can rent a lot of affection! ;)

T-bird

“If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker

“I think the key indicator for wealth is not good grades, work ethic, or IQ. I believe it's relationships. Ask yourself two questions: How many people do I know, and how much ransom money could I get for each one?”

Jarod Kintz

From Fiddler on the Roof:

Perchik "Money is the world's curse"

Tevya "May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover"

Tevya talking to God......

"Oh Lord, you made many poor people. I realize it's no shame being poor. But it's no great honor either."

"Would it spoil some vast eternal plan, If I were a wealthy man!?"

Not cash...but credit cards :dance: (kidding, of course)

Money's not everything, but it's more a lot more important than whatever number 2 is.

"Money is the sixth sense that makes it possible to enjoy the other five."

Ney, Richard

I ran across this old Schwarzenegger quote and thought I'd post it for a laugh:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million, but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
In Arnold's case, "Money makes you more of what you already are."

As Maria finally figured out. Or in her case,
While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.”
― Groucho Marx

This is my feeling.

"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." -- Spike Milligan

I don't agree with this quote at all. I can think of many things more important than money. For a start, health, family, friends, love, etc,
David1961 said:
Money's not everything, but it's more a lot more important than whatever number 2 is.

I don't agree with this quote at all. I can think of many things more important than money. For a start, health, family, friends, love, etc,
Since it's a tongue in cheek thread to begin with, you'll probably find you disagree with most if not all the quotes...

Since it's a tongue in cheek thread to begin with, you'll probably find you disagree with most if not all the quotes...
... but certainly not the wise quote that I stumbled across and shared above.

Saying that money doesn't buy happiness seems like an odd viewpoint for an ER board. Presumably, everybody on here wants to ER (or has ER'd) because it will make them happier and the number 1 obstacle is accumulating a big enough portfolio.

Back
Top Bottom