Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm still waiting for FIA to tell me that the now discontinued Schwab card with 2% cash back is no longer going to be in effect. But surprisingly, for now it still is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Zig, you lucky dog! I wish I could have gotten that card when it was still available!
Had to settle for PenFed instead.
FinDud--why do you care about the interest rate if you pay it off in full? That seems like a reasonable question for them to ask.
Fidelity still offers it. I got one ~ 18 months ago, and it always redirects to an FIA site.

edit/add link:

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...rds_card.shtml

Only 'catch' to get the 2% is you need to set it up to deposit to a Fidelity account, and that 'ties up' $2,000. I use a cash account so I don't create any cap gains issues with a bunch of small deposits, so by some calculations, I guess you could say I'm missing out on an average long term 7% gain each year (based on 3% inflation, 4% SWR SWAG), ~ $140/year. Since it is 'cash' but not really liquid, it's a 'waste' of cash.

I guess I could put in the ROTH as current year contributions. By tax time, I'd know how much to add to top it off to the max/ Guess that would work.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
FinDud--why do you care about the interest rate if you pay it off in full? That seems like a reasonable question for them to ask.
I know you didn't ask me, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me. What business is it of theirs? Maybe he has an anti-usury philosophy. If he didn't care about the rate, he wouldn't be asking.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's the principle of the thing............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me. What business is it of theirs? Maybe he has an anti-usury philosophy. If he didn't care about the rate, he wouldn't be asking.
Question everything is my personal mantra.........

Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

To OPs question.... based on the title.... NOPE, they don't care...

But if you pushed them a bit, I would think they would like to keep you more than let you go.... it just matters as to what you want... and is it being offered to others...

As an example... the poster who said 'give me 5% or else' will always be shown the door... now, I am getting 5% on certain purchases, but not all... but I know if I asked for it they would laugh.... it is not available out there anymore....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Only 'catch' to get the 2% is you need to set it up to deposit to a Fidelity account, and that 'ties up' $2,000. I use a cash account so I don't create any cap gains issues with a bunch of small deposits, so by some calculations, I guess you could say I'm missing out on an average long term 7% gain each year (based on 3% inflation, 4% SWR SWAG), ~ $140/year. Since it is 'cash' but not really liquid, it's a 'waste' of cash.
No need to deposit it to a Fidelity account in that manner. I deposit mine directly to my Fidelity Income Management account, which acts just like a MM account, with no minimum. CC cash rebates have nothing to do with cap gains. They are neither earnings nor income.

I don't know if they still offer the IMA, since they came out with the mySmartCash account. I've had the IMA for many years before mySmartCash was created, but I'm sure you can deposit your CC earnings to the new account with no problem.

BTW, FIDO (through FIA) offers two cards - the AMEX which is a 2% cash back on all purchases and the VISA, which gives you 1% back on the first $15k charged annually, and 2% for all purchases thereafter.

The two cards work for me, with AMEX as my primary with the VISA as the backup.

BTW, you should never give up/cancel a CC. Just put it in a drawer and just don't use it - or better yet use it once a year for a minor charge, which will keep it active. If you cancel it, it will affect your FICO score since FICO uses the ratio of total outstanding credit used vs. the combined limit of all your cards (regardless if you pay them off monthly - as I/DW do).

Additionally, it will affect the term that you have had the card active (longer is better).

Here's some info on what to consider if you are thinking about closing a CC account/card:

The Dos and Donts of Closing Old Accounts
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Question everything is my personal mantra.........
Shocking, right? That's what I figured.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Only 'catch' to get the 2% is you need to set it up to deposit to a Fidelity account, and that 'ties up' $2,000.
No need to deposit it to a Fidelity account in that manner. I deposit mine directly to my Fidelity Income Management account, which acts just like a MM account, with no minimum.
Well, when I looked over the requirements to get 2%, you need to have it transfered to a fund that supports these kinds of transfers. The lowest minimum I saw was $2,000.

I'll look into the 'management account'. I don't do any trading with Fido, I'm guessing this is going to cost me something along the lines of what I'm doing now. They must have some minimums for the accounts? I'll look later.

Quote:
CC cash rebates have nothing to do with cap gains. They are neither earnings nor income.
Yes, but if I have to transfer to a fund, that is a 'purchase', and then taking it out is a 'sale'. So that will trigger a cap gains/loss/wash transaction if it is in a non-cash-type account. I just prefer to avoid that extra tax entry.

I think moving it to the Roth is the best option for me (I need to check if those funds/Roths are eligible for rewards transfers). Since I would fund it by with $X fewer dollars in that year (the amount of the rebate submissions), it would continue to reduce my cash flow by that amount. If I put it in savings and don't withdraw it, it doesn't reduce my cash flow.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have the fidelity Amex card with the 2% being dumped into my "cash" account at fidelity. May be called "Cash Reserve" account. The cash account is the holding account for any dividends paid out on the ETFs I hold at fidelity in my taxable account. I typically never have more than a couple hundred bucks in there (coming from divs I haven't reinvested or the fidelity CC cashback transfers). If they make you keep a certain level of assets at fidelity to have a "Cash Reserve" account, just transfer a couple hundred shares of an ETF or mutual fund and let it sit there.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Shocking, right? That's what I figured.
Well you met me, so it was self-evident..........