Does selling primary home affect ACA subsidy?

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This question is prompted by the posts about selling a second home. But someone also posted about the mom selling her house in 2011 affecting SS.

So - does selling a primary home (profit less than $300,000 total for a married couple with more than five years in the home) affect an ACA subsidy?

Thanks for any insight.

No, it wouldn't even show up on your tax return because of the $500,000 exclusion.

Thank you for replying.

I love this forum.

No, it wouldn't even show up on your tax return because of the $500,000 exclusion.

But what if it were over the exclusion? Would a $100K cap gain on a $600K house sale make it to the AGI bottom line?

But what if it were over the exclusion? Would a $100K cap gain on a $600K house sale make it to the AGI bottom line?
The $500K is the cap gain exclusion (MFJ). For singles, it's $250K.

e.g. You and your wife bought a house for $200K and sold it for $700K, then the $500K is excluded. Now if you sold the house for $750K instead, that 50K's gonna show up. I think closing and selling costs are also excluded.

Last edited:
I'm the poster

It was her primary home, after the 250,000 (she is a widow)exemption ' and the original price she had huge profit as she was there 57 years, the sale price did not show up on her income part of her taxes they were on the work sheet, she just got banged on the profit after the exemption and original cost

Back
Top Bottom