Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #21
gone traveling

I worked a lot from 12 yo and saved enough to buy my first car in high school, a 67 SS396 Chevelle. I still miss that car even today.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Pinto here. It did last me 4 years, I'll say that for it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #23
gone traveling

Yep. 1969 Mustang Mach 1 was the first, but owned many 'muscle" cars after that. That was the first, and paid $1500 for it when I was 14, before I could (legally) drive.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #24

Yep. A 1964 Caddy a/k/a The Gray Ghost, or per DF - MarieIG's Bumper Car. It had wings.

It was like a moving apartment; and was frequently packed with teenage girls. I was the designated driver on Friday nights. The trunk was huge, I stored beach gear, riding gear, tennis gear, whatever I wanted in that trunk.

It was old, but it was freedom. I loved it.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes! ‘72 Datsun 510. I loved that car!
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1951 Chevrolet 4 door sedan bought for $35 out of a junk yard. Once I got it running and tagged,it wasn't much to talk about. Here's the only photo I have of it.

1951 Chev.jpg
Old 05-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does your first car hold a special place in your heart? Why?
1956 Chevy...and yes, most definitely yes.

In the fall of 1962 my parents bought a new car, a 1963 Chevy - the least expensive, zero options model dad could find. I had just started my soph year in HS, quit the football team, and started working part-time after school and weekends at Safeway. Dad didn't trade in the old car, telling me I could drive it since I was working. He would pay for the insurance but everything else was on my dime.

Dad had purchased the car new in 1955, a 1956 Chevy Bel Air two door sedan. Had an in-line 6 with a "three on the tree" shift manual transmission. And like the new car that replaced it, it had zero options - not even a radio. Heck, it didn't even have an oil filter, which meant the oil had to be changed every 1,000 miles!

Think it had about 75,000 miles on it when I started driving it and I recall the odometer (and speedometer) stopped working at 110,000 miles, when I was a freshman in college. No way to know how many miles it had by the time the engine blew while driving it home from college my sophomore year - it rolled to a stop for the last time at the side of the road, just a few miles outside my home town. Dad had it towed and sold it for $200. He gave the money to me to use for a down payment to buy my own car.

I remember I had worn the oil pan drain hole so large from all the oil changes that even a double-oversize drain plug was too small to prevent the oil pan dripping.

Great memories in that car, especially of a Swedish exchange student my senior year in high school. She did an amazing job of broadening my horizons and allowing me to experience things I had previously only imagined.

Except for the fancy wheels and lack of whitewall tires, this is the exact car/color:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 chevy.JPG (105.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Inherited many hand me downs from parents.
The first car DH and I bought was an old 280Z, don't remember the year. It was awful, always needing work.
Finally sold it and bought a small Toyota Pick up. I loved that one!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

After dropping out of college (I later dropped back in and graduated), I got a full time job and bought a new 1974 Ford Econoline 100 cargo van . . . a stripped down model with no bells and no whistles. I outfitted it with shag carpeting, paneled walls and ceilings, a nifty under-dash cassette player, box speakers and a couple of bean bag chairs. It took me cross country a number of times, serving as both my means of transportation and my home on the road. Rumor had it that it was a pretty good place to acquire an illegal smile. I do miss that old van, but thinking back, I guess it was foreshadowing my current toy, a 38’ Class A motorhome.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #31

My first car was a 1960 Corvair that was a hand me down from my sister. That car was a POS but it was mine and I loved it.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

My second car (after the 1951 Chev bit the dust for the second time) was a 1947 Plymouth. I loved this car and it was a "boat" being propelled by a 80 HP straight six (flathead) with a three speed manual transmission. The back seat was ENORMOUS and served me and my girlfriend well. Drive in movie visits with that car were memorable.

I have no photos of the car but here is a representative one:

1947-plymouth-special-deluxe-p15-4-door-1.jpg
Old 05-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

First car was an AMC Gremlin that my sibling and I purchased together and shared. Brother found it at an auction for us. It lasted about six months. POS
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

First car was a Mercury Capri which, coincidentally, also caught fire one time. Luckily this was just outside a repair shop and they let me use their extinguisher while the fire was still very small. I let them do the repairs since there was no towing involved and it actually ran again. Still needed something or other to be fixed about once a month. POS.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #35

I just took my restored 76 Monte Carlo out for a cruise this morning. Got it in 1984.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #36

My first car at age 16 was 1963 Impala Super Sport with 327 engine and 4 speed tranny. I paid $550 for it in 1969. I had it for two years and traded it in on a 1969 Camaro. Guy across the street saw that I traded in the Impala and immediately went out and bought my old car.

Both of my first two cars are fondly remembered.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #37

'64 Datsun pickup truck, paid $200 for it in 1974. Bald tires, bad cylinder rings. It smoked like a chimney and required the addition of a quart of oil every 50 miles. The spark plugs would foul every month or so and need to be replaced. The passenger door would fly open once in a while, giving my passengers quite a start. The windshield wiper motor was inoperative. Fixing would require complete removal of the dashboard, costing more than the car was worth. It was, therefore, not a rainy day vehicle. A real hunk of junk, but I loved it.
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #38

My 68 Pontiac GTO, still have it after 40 years now and continues. Rebuilt engine and repainted stock color when I was 16. Still runs great. But needing an exterior refresh. It has been a second car or less since I was 18. GTO is an all original numbers matching car, my hot rodding was at 18 built a V8 Vega. That was my college car. The GTO stayed at home since it was too nice to take to college.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In 1996, at age 17(or maybe a couple months before I turned 17?), I had saved up almost $3000 from saving birthday money, and allowance for years as well as making a little money mowing lawns of neighbors. I spent $1500 of it on my first car, a 1986 Toyota Corolla. Nothing special but it felt great paying cash and having my very own car. Insurance was crazy expensive and I had to pay for it all myself but it was worth it. No more school bus or walking 2 miles to and from school in the snow and cold. I was able to leave my neighborhood and get a real job to make better money.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #40

Loved my first car. Bright orange manual Opel Kadett, not sure of the year but I got it used in 1977. Black leather interior that gave me burns in the summer. Kind of a fish tail. Did I say bright orange? It positively glowed! I was the envy of my college house.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote