Join Early Retirement Today

Dog Park
Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Dog Park

Our town just built a dog park in an already existing large city park. It is about a 15 mile drive for me to get there but my Lab loved the trip and loved the attention of the other dozen or so pooches that were frolicking around the 1+ acre fenced-in area.

Has anyone heard of any negative issues regarding other dog parks in your area? I'm thinking dog fights, litter, assaults etc. I figure that it can't all be as nice as what I experienced in my visit today.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dog Park
Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Our town just built a dog park in an already existing large city park. It is about a 15 mile drive for me to get there but my Lab loved the trip and loved the attention of the other dozen or so pooches that were frolicking around the 1+ acre fenced-in area.

Has anyone heard of any negative issues regarding other dog parks in your area? I'm thinking dog fights, litter, assaults etc. I figure that it can't all be as nice as what I experienced in my visit today.
Hi mickeyd,

We started bringing Bubba the black lab to dog parks a couple of years ago. At first he seemed confused about what to do around a bunch of dogs, but after several trips he really began to love getting in the car and going to a dog park. We actually started bringing him around to various dog parks all over town to see what they had to offer. It seemed like such a great way to further socialize your dog.

Then, for some reason, people with violent dogs (mostly pit bulls) started showing up regularly whenever we went. In fact, these people seemed to be bringing their dogs to dog parks to provide them the opportunity to fight other dogs. It got bad enough at the dog park nearest us that the city started assigning a police officer to visit regularly to enforce rules that said if there were a dog fight, then all dogs involved must immediately be removed from the dog park. But occasional enforcement that involved no lasting punishment didn't really discourage these people. For awhile, we would simply get Bubba and leave whenever someone brought an overly aggressive dog in the area. But on a couple of occasions we witnessed some poor dog get attacked and injured before their owner could do anything about it.

We finally just stopped going.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #3

i guess it just depends on the culture of the park.

there's a dog park near me. they have a "little dog" and a "big dog"
section. I take my dog there all the time (twice a week).
i've only seen one "fight" (no blood or anything..)

the people that go there seem pretty responsible. I have a mini schauzer so
i'm in the "little dog" section and there are zero issues there. they all think
it's the best thing since rotten hamburger.

on the odd occasion when someone shows ups with a "bad" dog
they usually get a palpable "you need to watch your dog real close"
vibe from the other people.

i go in the mornings on weekends. maybe other times bring out the bad elements more ?

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We found that dog parks were just about Sophie's favorite thing to do. Rarely were there problems unless an owner either kept their dog on a leash while the others ran free (the leashed dog would freak out when the free dogs would swarm him), or when the park got too crowded.

There was one park where dumb owners would bring their unsocialized dogs (unfortunately mostly pit bulls and shephers, both nice breeds when raised right) and there were fights. Sophie would avoid fights and was a very fast runner so we never had a problem personally.

Best of all was an old 100 acre farm that was left to the county by the dog-lover farmer when he died. The dogs had so much room that there were virtually never any fights. We used to ski or hike the perimeter trail while the dogs ran free. Only excitement was when the occasional dear would leap into the park.

I'd suggest you and your dog enjoy the park, bow out when it gets crowded, and monitor dogs that arrive after you do. You can till in a minute who's trouble.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There is a dog park not far from my DD. They would take their Jack Russell there regularly. He insisted that he was a big dog and had lots of fun until one of the big dogs accidentally stepped on him and broke his leg. Now he isn't interested in the dog park.

So, even if your little dog thinks he's big, keep them in the little dog park.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #6

Border Collie Rescue takes over a big fenced park several times/year out in
the middle of the desert. 50-100 border collies (and about a dozen others)
usually show up. There never has been a fight.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The only problem around here is that they can't build them fast enough.

The Hawaiian Humane Society has one right next to their kennels. It's stocked with fire hydrants, fountains, and plenty of donated toys. Dogs that don't play well with the others aren't invited back.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Same problems here that SG had. Lots of fun until the a-holes and their out of control dogs show up.

I'm sure they later head home to let the dogs finish barking at the neighbors.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had dog parks in Vegas for about 5 years maybe more ...the only problem is they are for small dogs and large dogs and our 2 Aussie's are considered large and can't go to the small dog park. If your dog is over 25 pounds the dogs are considered large and there is a lot of trouble with the Rotties and Pits.

We also took our dogs to the ocean in California and they loved the dog beaches, there didn't seem to be any problem there maybe the water had them all stymied....

Dog Parks are really great but only if people police there own dogs....and pick up after them.

Kathyet
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure your dog has all his shots before going to the park. I think dogs can get kennel cough and communicable stuff like that at the dog park.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not to mention the things you can pick up from other dog owners that are also using their dogs as pick-up devices.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Not to mention the things you can pick up from other dog owners that are also using their dogs as pick-up devices.
Well, in our dog park I have not observed humans engaged in any blatent sexual activity. So if they are trying to pick-up, they do not appear to be very successful so far.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #13

At first when he was about a year old my Golden loved the dog park, especially the one with the small lake. Then he had a few bad experiences with dogs chasing him, and one Pit Bull chasing and biting him. So now he gets freaked out if another dog chases him alongside. He turns and fights. So no more dog parks.

Some have suggested that I continue to bring my Golden so he will get over the freak out. But I am too scared, freaked out myself, of the possibility of another fight. Dog owners can be vicious and their lawyers too.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, in our dog park I have not observed humans engaged in any blatent sexual activity. So if they are trying to pick-up, they do not appear to be very successful so far.
I found a dog and a baby to be the best babe magnets I've ever employed.

Unfortunately, it was my (then) girlfriends dog, and our baby.

Had I only known about this stuff 20 years ago, I could have done pretty well for myself.