Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I believe the "neighbors putting their dog-poop baggies in my trash can" topic is consistently in the top 3 most contentious neighborhood discussions on Nextdoor.
FWIW:
A Twitter poll from April 2018: 70% said it was okay to put dog poop in a neighbors trash bin, 30% said "not okay". 4000 responses.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #142

I would not like it. I suppose if it was done prior to pick up and it went with my trash, I wouldn’t know or care, but after pick up? No way. I line my garbage can with a plastic bag. Therefore, after pick up, I’d have to deal with the poop bag in order to get my bag into the can. I would not be happy about that. Similarly, if it was put in my can before pick up, the liner bag would be tied and the poop bag would be sitting on top separate from my garbage. If that meant that the garbage was not collected/rejected, I’d be very upset.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Turned yellow underneath after I scooped it up with a shovel a week later

Ripper, I think a small sign would eliminate 99% of the problem. Dog owners probably assume it's not a big deal, but if they know otherwise I'm sure most would respect that.
+1 I have a neighbor that has a a no dog sign on her mail box. I never let my boy on her lawn.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

No sidewalks in my subdivision. And, although most others do not, based on how interested my dog is in smelling them, I do avoid allowing her to pee on any bushes, flowers and other plants around mailboxes or along lawn edges, most other dog owners do not. My girl just dribbles on the grasses near these items based on her need to respond to the markings done by other dogs. For those who have mentioned or implied what a shame it is to see items planted near the edge of lawns ruined by dog pee, a note of caution regarding planting anything in such areas, especially if you have no sidewalks. These are, as been mentioned, easement areas. My subdivision recently had all the water pipes upgraded by the county water dept, and most were located in these easement areas. Hence, all these area were torn up by the contractor doing the work. They had no obligation to replace anything other than the sod, which they did replace.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
On our nextdoor, it's more about the fraud and theft the HOA and management company might be doing. I'd welcome some dog poo issues...
+1

I just found out that that our HOA is suing the last realtor managing it for embezzling $100k from the HOA. But maybe it was just bad karma because of all the unpicked up small dog poop reported on our nextdoor.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
We have lots of dogs in our neighborhood. I like dogs but I don't want to live with them also. What bothers me is that some people that walk their dogs in front of our house allows them to pee on my lawn. I take great pride in my landscape and spend many hours keeping up my lawn. The result of them urinating leaves a lot of dead spots due to the nitrogen in dogs pee. Not happy with this and have had words with those that allow this. What do others feel about this?
Our little (16 lb) dog stays in our backyard 99 percent of the time, where we pick up the poop right after her. Her pee doesn't affect the grass at all. But I have wondered, re the 1 percent of the time we walk her around the block, where we always keep her on the grass between the sidewalk and the street and always of course pick up her poop, if we should carry a water bottle and dilute any pee. Courtesy pee dilution water bottles could be the next big thing for pet owners to carry.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #147
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yeah, but your country is considerably more civilized than mine. I see signs like this all over the place in England.
Attachment 28773
Yes indeed and they are usually enforced as well, particularly in towns with lots of special dog poop trash cans available. These trash cans usually have dog pop bags as well so need to buy them or use an excuse that you forgot to bring some with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our little (16 lb) dog stays in our backyard 99 percent of the time, where we pick up the poop right after her. Her pee doesn't affect the grass at all. But I have wondered, re the 1 percent of the time we walk her around the block, where we always keep her on the grass between the sidewalk and the street and always of course pick up her poop, if we should carry a water bottle and dilute any pee. Courtesy pee dilution water bottles could be the next big thing for pet owners to carry.
It must depend on the type of grass and/or dog as to whether the grass is damaged or not. My son moved into the house he bought in December and the back lawn is covered in brown spots from the pee of the elderly male dog that the owners have. After 6 months those brown spots are finally greening up.

I love the idea of “courtesy pee dilution bottles”
Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I love the idea of “courtesy pee dilution bottles”
I think those are simply called "Newcastle Brown Ale" in the UK.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unless you really are the curmudgeon-on-the-porch poster child, that's not practical.

Why not place a motion-activated sprinkler or two in strategic locations? Automatic deterrence and dilution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742MB4MR...a-362903744098
I have 2 of these in garden for deer to prevent an late night diner from opening up.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #150
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
FWIW:
A Twitter poll from April 2018: 70% said it was okay to put dog poop in a neighbors trash bin, 30% said "not okay". 4000 responses.
If I catch you leaving poop in my trash can, you get the hose.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where else is a dog supposed to urinate? They typically wont go on the street or sidewalks. Owners can try to force their pets to go in their own yard...but anyone who is rational knows dogs like to mark their spots. I dont consider it rude.

Now if a dog takes a deuce in your yard and the owner doesnt clean it...thats a problem.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #152
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Where else is a dog supposed to urinate? They typically wont go on the street or sidewalks. Owners can try to force their pets to go in their own yard...but anyone who is rational knows dogs like to mark their spots. I dont consider it rude.

Now if a dog takes a deuce in your yard and the owner doesnt clean it...thats a problem.
I think you are underestimating a dog’s ability to urinate. We always had dogs when I was growing up as did many of our neighbors. We all had concrete back yards, and front doors that opened onto the street. The areas of town with gardens never had lawns accessible to the sidewalks as they were all fenced or had small hedges or walls. Never seen any dog have a problem urinating on the sidewalk or other area that didn’t have grass.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #153
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Definitely up where I live
Old 06-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
True, but it is an easement not a peesment
The thing I hate about the easement, is the city claims all sorts of rights about what I can/cannot plant on it, (but no issue for my property on my side of the easement).
Yet, they don't come an mow it.
So easements are really a burden to a homeowner with greatly reduced rights of use.
In some areas, the land adjacent to the street is not even an easement, it is part of the right of way, just not paved. In my area, if I was to find the boundary of my property, I would find that the last 5 feet adjacent to the paved road was NOT even my property, but was part of the road right of way. I maintain it for my benefit.

I've a neighbor who, 40 years ago, only paved his driveway up to his property line. So he now has a concrete driveway, then a strip of gravel/mud, then the paved road. His problem, the local township has never paved to meet his concrete. He is in his right to not meet the paved road, but he has to live with any problems created (more difficult to clear snow, impact resale value, tracking mud, etc). He's the only one within four blocks with this arrangement. BTW, the road was paved when he did this.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Quote:
FWIW:
+1

I'm actually shocked that anyone would even ask if it's OK to drop their dog poop bag in my trash can, and would bother to differentiate if it was before/after pick up.

Some of those 70% surveyed would be dog owners - they shouldn't get a vote. And since you can't know which 30% is which, just don't do it, out of respect of those 30%, and out of common decency. Plus, a self-selected survey like that is pretty meaningless - did mostly dog owners respond - we don't know?

Out of the group that would put a bag of dog poop in someone else's trash, guess what - some of those are not going to be the most careful types, and won't notice that oh, that back ripped open as I dropped it in, making a nasty mess for the trash can owner to clean up.

And put it in after pick up? Geeez! It's in the 90's here this week, and we have weekly pick up. A week of that poop sitting in the can in the heat - gross, gross, gross! We avoid putting nasty stuff in our can in this heat if we are able, some stuff gets wrapped while it is still 'fresh' (meat/fish trimmings and wrapping , etc) and put in the freezer until trash day. Vegatable clipping go into the garden. Man, if I saw someone putting dog poop in my trash can after pick up, I'd call the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Where else is a dog supposed to urinate? They typically wont go on the street or sidewalks. Owners can try to force their pets to go in their own yard...but anyone who is rational knows dogs like to mark their spots. I dont consider it rude. .... .
And that's the problem. You, as the dog owner, don't consider it rude. But the recipient does. Reminds me of the smokers who didn't consider it rude for you to have to put up with their smoke.

As I said before, the 'tone deafness' of some of the pet owners here is striking. I sometimes wonder if pet owning won't go the way of smoking - pet owners really have an effect on the people around them, and many are oblivious to it (like barking in the early morning, or the entire time I'm out in my yard). I'd be fine with no pets in public, you want a pet, keep it on your property (preferably indoors) and deal with it. Don't make your problem my problem.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Quote:
FWIW:
Well, since you've made this personal, you can re-read what I wrote before and know that your trash can is safe.
Quote:
I keep the bag with me and throw it in my own trash, which means I may be carrying it with me for 30 minutes or more.
So, if answering the poll question, based on my own behavior (i.e. not a theoretical situation to me), I'd be among the 30% who say it is not okay to put dog poop in a neighbor's trash bin. And if I saw someone walking a dog and holding a bag of poop, I'd offer to let them put it in my trash can,
just as others have offered me the same. I don't see any inconsistency here.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, since you've made this personal, you can re-read what I wrote before and know that your trash can is safe. ....
I didn't get the sense that he was making it personal, I read it as a general "you".

But in replying to a post, we aren't always going to go back (or remember who said what) to determine fuller context. But speaking for myself, even asking the question if it is acceptable or not sort of frames where you stand on the issue, even if you say you personally wouldn't do it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
After processing it through one’s kdneys?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes indeed and they are usually enforced as well, particularly in towns with lots of special dog poop trash cans available. These trash cans usually have dog pop bags as well so need to buy them or use an excuse that you forgot to bring some with you.
This reminds me of prior encounters with dog excrement in my foreign travels. We spent some time in a Brussels suburb some years back while my sister was living there. You really had to watch where you walked on the sidewalk to avoid stepping on a turd (many who went before hadn't been so alert, as smeared feces attested). Some of the piles were massive.

Tel Aviv was another city I visited where dogs went anywhere and everywhere on public walkways. The hot, dry climate enhanced the aroma.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #160
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
After processing it through one’s kdneys?
Guaranteed not to stain the lawn as well