Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But speaking for myself, even asking the question if it is acceptable or not sort of frames where you stand on the issue, even if you say you personally wouldn't do it.
I can see how it might be possible to think that. I asked the question to get an idea for the range of opinions on this topic (and if a poster found some of the opinions "striking," I'd think maybe this has been illuminating). I'm surprised, too, that many people think it is okay to deposit a dog poop in a neighbor's trash without an invitation. And as for dog owners not getting a vote in a poll like this, I suppose that depends on what we want to learn from the poll. If we want to know how likely it is that dog owners will actually leave poops in a neighbor's curbside trash can, then the only opinions that count are those of dog owners .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
+1

I sometimes wonder if pet owning won't go the way of smoking - pet owners really have an effect on the people around them, and many are oblivious to it (like barking in the early morning, or the entire time I'm out in my yard). I'd be fine with no pets in public, you want a pet, keep it on your property (preferably indoors) and deal with it. Don't make your problem my problem.

-ERD50
Seeing that 60% of Americans own a pet, don't hold your breath.

Me? I'm just happy when people pick up their dog ****. I have no problem with them using my can. And, yes, I may use theirs if I'm out a ways from home with the dog, under conditions I previously described. Better trash in the can then not.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #163
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Well, since you've made this personal, you can re-read what I wrote before and know that your trash can is safe.
I was using the plural "you" not the personal.

You personally sound like a responsible pet owner. Others not so much.

For others - if you want to know if it's okay to put your fecal waste in someone else's trash - ask. Otherwise, just put it in you own trash.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Seeing that 60% of Americans own a pet, don't hold your breath.
... .
Oh, I'm not. More of a 'food for thought' type of post. But Ireland did make the pubs smoke free a few years back, and when I was there, it seemed like 85% smoked.

Quote:
... Me? I'm just happy when people pick up their dog ****. I have no problem with them using my can. And, yes, I may use theirs if I'm out a ways from home with the dog, under conditions I previously described. ....
That's fine if you are OK with people using your trash can. I'm saying you should not assume others feel the same. I do not, for one. And you did say " If the cans at the curb I use it." So that's anyone's can. It would be different if you said "The cans of other dog owners that have agreed that we can use each other's cans".

Quote:
... Better trash in the can then not.
That's a false dichotomy. Third option is hold the bag until you reach your trash can, as others have said they do. You are the one who chose to have a dog, not me. Don't force the consequences of your choices on me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #165

To be clear. If the can meets the description I described earlier (at the alley curb all week-as is common in my area) I feel ABSOLUTELY no guilt about using it. If you don't want trash put in your can, don't leave it out. YMMV.

As to a false dichotomy, perhaps it is. But it also takes into account human nature. People are less likely to litter if a trash can is nearby. Any can. Would you rather have the **** in your yard or your can? I can guarantee that some people will leave it if a can isn't nearby.

Quote:
Oh, I'm not. More of a 'food for thought' type of post. But Ireland did make the pubs smoke free a few years back, and when I was there, it seemed like 85% smoked.

That's fine if you are OK with people using your trash can. I'm saying you should not assume others feel the same. I do not, for one. And you did say " If the cans at the curb I use it." So that's anyone's can. It would be different if you said "The cans of other dog owners that have agreed that we can use each other's cans".

That's a false dichotomy. Third option is hold the bag until you reach your trash can, as others have said they do. You are the one who chose to have a dog, not me. Don't force the consequences of your choices on me.

-ERD50
Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #166
gone traveling

Quote:
To be clear. If the can meets the description I described earlier (at the alley curb all week-as is common in my area) I feel ABSOLUTELY no guilt about using it. If you don't want trash put in your can, don't leave it out. YMMV.
Seems odd to me.

What is an "alley curb"?

If a trash can is at the alley curb, it's fair game for anything anyone chooses to do with it?

(trying to understand)

Quote:
As to a false dichotomy, perhaps it is. But it also takes into account human nature. People are less likely to litter if a trash can is nearby. Any can. Would you rather have the **** in your yard or your can? I can guarantee that some people will leave it if a can isn't nearby.
And I can guarantee that some people will leave it even if a can is nearby. But that's not really the point.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Seems odd to me.

What is an "alley curb"?

If a trash can is at the alley curb, it's fair game for anything anyone chooses to do with it?

(trying to understand)

And I can guarantee that some people will leave it even if a can is nearby. But that's not really the point.
I'm lost too. The only real residential alleys I'm familiar with are in Chicago. Trash cans do stay out there all week, in fact I think almost everyone keeps them there all week. I've never seen a curb in an alley. And I don't think it's common to walk dogs there (people use the street-side sidewalks, it's nicer there).

Maybe things are different where Keim lives, but it's getting lost in translation, or just isn't common so maybe doesn't apply to most of the comments here.

Maybe we need a poll: Where do you keep your trash cans? How many times per week do you get pick up? Where does your trash go for pick up?

For me - In the garage; Once a week; edge of the road, by the driveway, in the grass, technically the easement area (we don't have 'curbs' as such, we do have a concrete 'ribbon edge' to the asphalt roadway).

-ERD50
Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #168

Alley curb=My poor attempt to describe the edge of the alley, wherein the cans are on the edge of the public easement. Most of the homes in my area have front paved road access and rear unpaved alley access, with cans kept in the alley easement at all times.

If a trash can is at the curb, IMO, its fair game for minimal use. Toss an empty can into it, etc. I refer you to the de minimis rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis
Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #169

My neighbors walk there four dogs down the street across the county line for our poor 90yr old neighbor to smell. I wonder why people would even want to care for four dogs at once, but to each there own.

She also smokes, and makes some other bad personal decisions. Sometimes people are simply disrespectful...sometimes its an accident and I understand...but there is a difference.

Coming from a prior dog owner, who now is not one. I always carried a bag and scooped up the droppings. I also took the time to clean up my pee spots in my yard which was a lot of work, I can't imagine forcing this task upon a non-dog owning neighbor.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I did a search on our Nextdoor list and found zero complaints about dog pee on lawns. Most of the posts were supportive of neighborhood pets and wildlife - alerts on where to drive carefully around deer and turkeys, lost and found pets, pet adoptions, how to help injured wildlife, public service announcements on alternatives to rat poison, etc.

The only dog complaints I found were owners not picking up poop and aggressive or barking dogs.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

If we are walking our dog and have used a poop bag for her, we either bring it home to the dedicated poop can or toss it into a municipal trash can; I’ve never seen anything around here about not using regular waste containers for disposal of poop bags. Our town would certainly publicize it if that were the case, as we get frequent reminders about everything else trash-related. I personally wouldn’t put it in another individual’s can no matter where it was. Not sure why not, but I just wouldn’t feel right about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

In my area, this is a trash bin ("roller") that is not the property of the homeowner (it belongs to the trash company or city) placed on a piece of land (the street right-of-way or an alley) that is also not his/her property.
Now, that might not change things at all (I wouldn't leave a poop bag on the hood of someone's leased car that was parked on the street), but when people talk about "my trash bin," they are sometimes using convenient, common, but not 100 percent accurate shorthand.
A semi-related factoid: before throwing a disposable diaper in the trash, the "solid waste" is supposed to be scraped off into a toilet. I wonder how often that happens.

But, I digress. . .
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #173
gone traveling

Quote:
In my area, this is a trash bin ("roller") that is not the property of the homeowner (it belongs to the trash company or city) placed on a piece of land (the street right-of-way or an alley) that is also not his/her property.
Now, that might not change things at all (I wouldn't leave a poop bag on the hood of someone's leased car that was parked on the street), but when people talk about "my trash bin," they are sometimes using convenient, common, but not 100 percent accurate shorthand.
Who would be responsible for cleaning the smelly sh!t from the inside of one of these roller bins, if the poop bag broke or leaked? Is that something the trash company or city would do?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Who would be responsible for cleaning the smelly sh!t from the inside of one of these roller bins, if the poop bag broke or leaked? Is that something the trash company or city would do?
I doubt anyone is "responsible" for cleaning a trash bin, unless maybe the city/owner has requested that it be clean when it is returned to them.
Now, since people have varying standards of cleanliness they expect for these bins that they keep near their homes, that would be another reason for dog owners to avoid using a bin that is in a neighbor's custody (unless invited).
Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... If a trash can is at the curb, IMO, its fair game for minimal use. Toss an empty can into it, etc. I refer you to the de minimis rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis
An empty can is not the same as a bag of dog poo (Reminds of an old joke about not sending someone to the store for a head of cabbage ).

I actually would be a bit miffed at even an empty can being thrown into my trash can. It's my property, and I have to deal with cleaning it - just keep your mitts off! If it's got sugary residue it's gonna tract flies, and then maggots. Use your own darn trash can.

Maybe the empty can fits the de minimis definition, but an empty can isn't as bad as a bag of dog poo.

-ERD50
Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I doubt anyone is "responsible" for cleaning a trash bin, unless maybe the city/owner has requested that it be clean when it is returned to them.
Now, since people have varying standards of cleanliness they expect for these bins that they keep near their homes, that would be another reason for dog owners to avoid using a bin that is in a neighbor's custody (unless invited).
I clean my trash cans from time to time (and I own them). They get yucky, and I keep them in the garage (hot in summer). They look bad outdoors, and attract raccoons, etc. We can't have outbuilding in our subdivision, so that's not an option for me.

I don't want someone's dog poo added to the mix. Period. It's your (general 'your') dog, you deal with it. Even though I like dogs, one reason I don't own one is having to deal with all these things. I don't appreciate other people making their pet responsibilities my problem, when I don;t even own a pet.

-ERD50
Old 06-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #177

Actually, in my town its not your trash can. Its municipal property.

You do things your way, I'll do things mine. It will all work out okay.

Incidentally, 20 years of putting trash in cans, no complaints-several thanks.

Quote:
An empty can is not the same as a bag of dog poo (Reminds of an old joke about not sending someone to the store for a head of cabbage ).

I actually would be a bit miffed at even an empty can being thrown into my trash can. It's my property, and I have to deal with cleaning it - just keep your mitts off! If it's got sugary residue it's gonna tract flies, and then maggots. Use your own darn trash can.

Maybe the empty can fits the de minimis definition, but an empty can isn't as bad as a bag of dog poo.

-ERD50
Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Over 170 posts on dog pee and dog poo...amazing.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Over 170 posts on dog pee and dog poo...amazing.
Yup!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #180
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yup!
You sure that's butter on that popcorn?