Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Donation Gifts
Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What do you think of donation gifts? That is, a gift that's a card that says "A generous donation has been made in your name to ..."
We received one once when our child was an infant. The gift was from someone that always gives unique, yet generally excellent gifts -- as if she puts an immense amount of time into thinking about and shopping for an appropriate gift. So, with that in the back of my mind, I open the card and it's to some fund/organization that shows "people in third world countries" how to raise their own food/grow crops, etc. So, at first I thought "whatta ripoff". As in, I set myself up for this wonderful gift, and was let down.

But, after some time I got to thinking how little I'd care about another article of clothing (or whatever) for the child, and how much more this donation gift would mean to someone else. After a year, I remember the donation, not any other gift that anyone gave for that particular occasion.

Then the usual "I wonder how much went to that organization for salaries and 'fundraising'" questions started popping into my head, but anyway.

Edit: Bóthar - Helping People to Help Themselves was the charity.

-CC
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
don't know about bothar but i found a self-help charity that impressed me. it is www.heifer.org

they also have volunteer opportunities & study tours which i might find check out in the future.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #23

Yeah, that might've been it too.

I think they are actually the same organization since '99 or something.

No idea.

-CC
Old 12-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #24

I think it is a great idea if you really know the person. I almost asked DW to make a donation on my behalf as my christmas gift this year. It is something that I don't normally spend money on myself (maybe when I'm rolling in dough), but it is a nice thing that I'd rather have money spent on instead of another t-shirt/sweater/tie sort of thing that I can stick in the back of the closet and never wear.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #25

If someone took the time to find out what charity I give to and then send a donation in my name that's fine with me. I like the idea of sending the reciept so I could use the tax deduction. If it's a donation made to something I wouldn't donate to then it's a waste of money, like buying me that gift I'll never use.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I do this but first ask what their favorite charity is and if it would be OK. My relatives are more than gracious about it. I don't want to contribute to the local landfills any more crap that someone does not like or cannot use.

I find for teenagers nothing beats some greenbacks in a card. They can always find a use for it.
savedapile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

im just about thru getting ripped off by most charities. first the red cross screwed us with money given to causes i would never support now 2 billion in katrina money vanished. nothing seems to get the money you want it to.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

mathjak, there are lots of things you can do to support charities without worrying about your money.

For instance, contact your local animal shelter, what do they need. Then drop off the food etc. they ask for. Just be careful not to come home with a carload of cute puppies.
Find you local food bank. Drop of healthy food to stock their shelves.
What about your nearest Ronald McDonald house? What can they use for the kids there and their families? And I don't mean stuffed animals, more like new winter jackets and such as a lot of income is eaten up when you have an illness.
Is there a local battered womens shelter? Ours puts out a list of what they can use. Women show up there with nothing but a couple of kids in tow.

Since I have two neices headed for college I think my charitable donations for the next few years will consist of buying some textbooks for them.

savedapile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #29

Your thinking makes a lot of sense to me, savedapile.

Other things just take your time. Go to a bakery (if any still exist in your town) and ask if they have any day old rolls/buns/bread/etc. they'd like to donate. Just takes the time of you asking and then delivering to the local food shelf. Assuming someone else (like the bakery owner) hasn't taken care of this in your particular location.

-CC