Done with Bogleheads ... it's a cult

I appreciate the OP's thought process. I'm not qualified or experienced enough to be pro Boglehead or Anti Boglehead - only to say that overall, with exceptions the basic premise seems sound. HOWEVER -- be it anything -- investing, environment, health, diet, you name it....when a group can't stand being questioned - I feel it has become religious. And I lose interest and withdraw a modicum of credibility.

Speaking of which, his farewell post and all related posts to it have been completely removed from the thread (whether you're logged in or not). Usually when moderators do that, they leave behind a note either letting everybody know that they started a new thread or a note stating which rule violation occurred. So far, there isn't a note from any of the moderators about it.

Cheers
Big-Papa

For those interested, as of the time of this post, the thread is available in Google's cache.

The fact this thread persists says a lot about early-retirement.org itself, sadly.

Wow 10 pages on a thread about another Forum? The ER people must not have enough to do.

This is the place for people to vent. :LOL:

Again, I myself never registered or posted there. I visited many years ago for an hour or so, then left and have not been back because the esprit de corps there, mostly about investing philosophy, did not resonate with me. It's no big deal.

The fact this thread persists says a lot about early-retirement.org itself, sadly.

What - that we like a good natter? :LOL:

I visited BH once or twice many years ago. For some reason, it didn't appeal. It just didn't seem as friendly a place as here. For an investing style that is supposed to be a "lazy coffee table" approach (or whatever you want to call it), there was an awful lot of detailed and serious discussion. My investment approach of setting a broad and general AA, buying the funds, and doing very little else, other than considering the tax consequences of my financial moves, is better served here, than by the very granular approach at BH.

Each to his own though. Free world and all that.

What - that we like a good natter? :LOL:

I visited BH once or twice many years ago. For some reason, it didn't appeal. It just didn't seem as friendly a place as here. For an investing style that is supposed to be a "lazy coffee table" approach (or whatever you want to call it), there was an awful lot of detailed and serious discussion. My investment approach of setting a broad and general AA, buying the funds, and doing very little else, other than considering the tax consequences of my financial moves, is better served here, than by the very granular approach at BH.

Each to his own though. Free world and all that.

Yeah, a good "thread drift" is one of the things I like about this forum. We have a much wider range of topics and less emphasis on financial stuff (important, of course, but it's not "everything.") YMMV

I have some PSSSST....Welllesley in an IRA account. Its the only place I have any medium to long term bonds. Does owning this fund mean I am a cultist? I don't want to wake up in the future with a green C on my forehead.

I have some PSSSST....Welllesley in an IRA account. Its the only place I have any medium to long term bonds. Does owning this fund mean I am a cultist? I don't want to wake up in the future with a green C on my forehead.

Hmmmm. Since I bought Psssst Wellesley on the basis of unclemick's enthusiasm, I guess I should put a UM on my forehead.:cool:

I ignore the investing part of Bogleheads but find their personal consumer issue forum useful at times. I skim it every so often.

+1

Their personal consumer issue forum is the place I go to if I want to see discerning reviews on products/services posted by people with an eye for quality and value. Not to say that I don't also find that here, but they have a section just for this alone! I also like their forum on "Personal Finance (not investing)" - have picked up a lot of good tips from there. I appreciate having several websites to go to where I can learn from the smarties!

You could do much worse, and many are, than the Boglehead 3 fund portfolio. Tinkering is fun, but not likely effective in obtaining greater gains. Nothing wrong with a low cost balanced fund like Wellesley or Wellington either. Many Bogleheads have them in their tax deferred accounts(not recommended in a taxable account). The cult lives on.......

VW

Loved the Muchkin Man and frankly miss Cute Fuzzy Bunny too. Two characters to say the least.....

I read BH daily and have since FIRE. I found out about it here.

I've always hated the Bogleheads forum, and I started posting there in 2007 and was posting on the Morningstar Diehards forum before that. I haven't hung out there much in the past 10 years, but I do occasionally pop in for a while and get reminded how bad it is. Out of the many, many forums I've posted on in the past 20+ years, Bogleheads is the one I hate the most.

Despite how everyone on BH crows about it being a "courteous" place, I've always found it to be the exact opposite. Everyone takes on the same formal, uptight writing style, but that's just the "forum culture" of BH and forum culture happens on every forum of course. Since people know they'll get banned or warned for outright name-calling on BH, there has always been a very passive-aggressive, "snarky" nature to many peoples' replies in threads. It's made me afraid to ask a question there, but I know when I post a question there I need to put on my very thick skin because there are going to be at least a couple of a**holes with snarky replies every time.

"Snarkiness" happens on every forum, but something about the Boglehead variety of snarkiness is particularly irritating - you know it's coming from someone who is likely high income, upper-middle class, professional (doctors, lawyers, professors, engineers, etc.), wealthy compared to 90% of Americans, well-educated, probably a big ego, and the writing style tends to be grammatically correct, well-worded, and very condescending without outright name-calling. It reminds me of some arrogant professors and doctors with giant egos who have been very condescending and rude to me in real life. Then again, instead of well-worded, highly educated snark, I've seen people ask very good questions and get insulting, pithy snark such as "How do you expect us to know? Do your own research."

Last edited:
I have never posted anything on BH . One thing I must point out, is that the site didn't seem as active as here. As to BH itself, there is some good information there, but , well I don't know, it just seemed like it was all business and no room for anything else.

I have never posted anything on BH . One thing I must point out, is that the site didn't seem as active as here. As to BH itself, there is some good information there, but , well I don't know, it just seemed like it was all business and no room for anything else.

In all honesty, I am very confused by your post. I'm not trying to be a contrarian wise guy with you. I'm just wondering if you and I are visiting the same site or navigating it the same?

First, the BH site is TOO active in my mind. During the day, there are sometimes upwards of 20 posts per minute. It becomes impossible to navigate. Even this early Saturday morning there have been 14 posts between 5am and 6:20am vs. just 2 here. Now I'm including all threads and forums on both sites. If one is only visiting the "investing" portion of BH, it may be different.

Second, the consumer forums are very relaxed in general and there's plenty of room for something else. They have an active movie and series thread, much more active than the ones here. But, yeah, the suggestions are sometimes a bit high-brow. :LOL: My beef with the consumer forums is there are a lot of lazy participants that ask the same questions over and over again. Yeah, stuffy BHers get lazy too. They just add to the clutter. How many HVAC threads can be opened in one day? Apparently about 2 per day in the summer.

Third, yes they have overbearing participants. Actually, I envision some of the BHers sitting at their computer for 18 hours a day with a feeding tube and catheter answering questions. It is a PITA seeing the same participants chime in on certain topics. You don't get good variety when you have people do this. In this way, it is a "cult" like experience for those people, lending credence to OP's original title of this thread.

I don't delve deep into the investing side there because of some of the complaints you all have about "stuffiness" and "know it all" and 3 funds, and personal plans and all that crap. I do scan a few topics and grab them because people are really on it. There are great discussions on fixed income (although I would say we have two great threads here too). There is one user, #cruncher who lives up to their name. They take any weird math question as a challenge -- say comparing a rate zero coupon T-bill with a corporate bond. Sometimes stuffy geeks are useful.:)

They also have extensive threads about Vanguard security and the situation with their web site and app. There's a long thread about leaving Vanguard. People are not happy, and despite the misinformation earlier in this thread about the theme there being "Vanguard can do no wrong," you'll see the tables are actually really tilted against VG right now with rats jumping from the ship over there. Sure, every one of those threads has a VG cheerleader blindly chime in saying VG is the best, but in general the threads are like 5 to 1 in explaining the reality of what's going on at VG. I'll give you an example of something discussed there, not yet mentioned here: VG is has just started offshoring some phone calls on a limited basis. People are NOT happy.

I like BH and find excellent information there, especially in their Wikis. One question I have for the ER crowd is this--If you dislike the Bogleheads Forum so much why are you reading it? There are plenty of Forums I have tried in the past and decided were not for me so I just quit reading them. If you dislike Bogleheads, the solution is simple, just don't go there.

JoeWras, I surely agree with you that BH is far busier than ours here. I use the "New Posts" quick-link there and here to see which threads have had at least one new post. Since I last did that around midnight last night, (about 7.5 hours ago), there have 13 threads in this forum. But BH had 63 threads. There is always a large difference like that whenever I hit that quick-link, morning, midday, or evening.

Joe Wras,
It was years ago since I visited BH. I remember sifting through the topics I was interested in and it just seemed unimpressive to me. Now I suppose that is a bit unfair of me to say since I sometimes have a narrow range of interest and it isn't always investing and about money.
But like I said , that was some years ago and maybe I didn't really get a good feel of the site since I didn't stay long. So I am willing to be corrected.

Joe Wras,
It was years ago since I visited BH. I remember sifting through the topics I was interested in and it just seemed unimpressive to me. Now I suppose that is a bit unfair of me to say since I sometimes have a narrow range of interest and it isn't always investing and about money.
But like I said , that was some years ago and maybe I didn't really get a good feel of the site since I didn't stay long. So I am willing to be corrected.

There is a non financial forum on consumer issues that I like.

I like BH and find excellent information there, especially in their Wikis. One question I have for the ER crowd is this--If you dislike the Bogleheads Forum so much why are you reading it? There are plenty of Forums I have tried in the past and decided were not for me so I just quit reading them. If you dislike Bogleheads, the solution is simple, just don't go there.

:LOL:

Actually, I don't dislike BH's. I am not a member but have frequently found useful information over there, and enjoy some of the podcasts. I did note that recently some older members over there have been referring to "bonds" as opposed to "bond funds." To be fair, many on this board recommended bond funds as part of the asset allocation (as opposed to advocating individual bonds) until the beginning of 2022.

Sometimes I have thought threads over at BH have been closed too soon, that the issue could have been better handled by deleting some responses, but I have thought the same thing over here as well. :cool:

Every time I've asked a question, I've always received helpful answers. Yes...a few sarcastic or unhelpful replies, but that's on any forum. People aren't getting paid to help you or any personal benefit from responding to you, so when genuine help is offered, I'm most grateful and appreciative.

I've saved time, money, became more informed about SIM swapping, yubi key advantages/negatives and a hundred other topics.

I try to take the nuggets and leave the dirt. Many of the discussions that get super granular around fixed income analysis and other deep dives end up way beyond my interest and comprehension - but that's ok.

I appreciate the BH forum - there are a lot of smart, successful folks there.

Back
Top Bottom