Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinhead View Post
I haven't seen any restrictions there on posting about individual bonds. There is lots of talk about ibonds in particular.

I’m tempted to poke the bear by posting “if individual bonds are bad, I’m sure Vanguard would not let me buy them” but I guess that would make me a troll.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It has been my experience that when two posters go at it hammer and tongs, each trying to "win" the argument, it soon becomes tiresome for everyone else. Most of the useful information will be in the first 2 or 3 posts. I think it is better that we strive to be useful to each other. Correct information is important, of course, and I regret it when I botch something, but providing better/more correct information is not the same as seeking the righteous triumph that some occasionally seem to want. I'm glad that is not prevalent here; I wouldn't enjoy a forum where it was.
Yes, agree. We have our moments here. But they are moments. Over there, it is sport. Fortunately, most threads aren't like that there, but the percentage of "dueling discussion threads" is higher than here.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Well done, tulak. One could also search investing IPS. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/ips.asp

I reference an IPS in my Instructions to Heirs. The documents inform those who remain what you were doing, why, and of course, "Good luck if you want to try something different."

These documents were two important takeaways from my time on Bogleheads.
Pretty much sums it up. I think many on BH consider it to be a "contract to yourself" with the idea being that before you go off and do something rash, that you at least look at it first. Meh. Contracts with yourself are easily broken.

For me, it's mainly to document what I do, why I do it, and details about exactly how I go about doing what I do. And then there's an entire section of "if you don't like what I've been doing, then here's a simpler way". For me, this is primarily a document for my family should I predecease.

Cheers.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Why would anyone go to BH and ask about individual stock investing other than to stir the pot? I don't go on the BMW website and ask about Mercs.
Usually they do it because
1. They didn't read the wiki first to understand the underpinnings of BH before posting
2. They get a rush from arguing
Old 08-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinhead View Post
I haven't seen any restrictions there on posting about individual bonds. There is lots of talk about ibonds in particular.
From my experience it was the members, not the board that was upset about individual bond discussions. It was deemed too “risky.”
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I’m tempted to poke the bear by posting “if individual bonds are bad, I’m sure Vanguard would not let me buy them” but I guess that would make me a troll.
I also haven't seen any restrictions specifically about posting about individual bonds, either. Posts on individual bonds happens all the time when people discuss things like bond ladders, etc.

When I have seen restrictions, it's usually secondary to specific discussions about individual bonds themselves. For example, no posting about proposed laws or regulations, politics, speculation about what congress might/might not do, economic policies, et al.

In fact, here's the full list. If interested, scroll down to section 4 "unacceptable topics"
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/rules

Cheers.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
From my experience it was the members, not the board that was upset about individual bond discussions. It was deemed too “risky.”
Unfortunately, the moderators don't have a policy about members being wrongheaded.

They'll step in quickly, though, if they see (or any members report) any contentiousness creeping into a discussion.

Cheers,
Big-Papa
Old 08-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Unfortunately, the moderators don't have a policy about members being wrongheaded.

They'll step in quickly, though, if they see (or any members report) any contentiousness creeping into a discussion.

Cheers,
Big-Papa
True. That board has such a different feel than on here.

A couple posts here mention “rich” people on BH. I think there are some well funded folks here too. There is a lot of quiet money.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
EThe forum was humorless! People have their sphincters clenched tight over there.

Hee! You got that right. Humorless.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
True. That board has such a different feel than on here.

A couple posts here mention “rich” people on BH. I think there are some well funded folks here too. There is a lot of quiet money.
I suspect that is the case here as well.

While you do see a lot of humble-brags over on BH, from time to time there a thread will open with the term such as "blue collar" in it. People are generally supportive in answering questions, giving advice, etc.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #131

^^^ I guess I don’t really care who has more than whom. It’s all shades of gray and every lucky citizen of an advanced Western country appears indescribably rich to most of the world’s people.

Doesn’t it all boil down to, “How do I generate more income forever than I spend”, regardless of net worth?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Go for it! Maybe rephrase it so it doesn’t sounds so harsh.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2022 View Post
I'd rather be active here.
Thanks to ER moderator.
And of course to the fellow members, too.
+100!!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
He was called The Munchkin Man. His writing style was unique. He hasn't posted on BH since 2013.
Ah! Yes, The Munchkin Man not Muffin!
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, as I said in my earlier post on this thread, you don't barge into a place of worship like a church, a synagogue, a temple, and question people's belief.

Comparing an internet personal finance forum to a house of worship aligns pretty well with OP’s conclusion that it is a cult.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #136

BH has a lot of good info BUT it is a collective of engineers over-analyzing small things and, like the OP says, always getting to the same conclusion! I visit there occasionally for humor but MUCH prefer ER.org!
Old 08-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

There are some subjects for which Bogleheads has the best information. For example, I am trying to make sure I do not hit IRMMA for Medicare this year. I did a search on ER and found a few threads about this subject. I also did a search on Bogleheads and found a very good WIKI and many threads. Bogleheads gave me all the info I needed.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Comparing an internet personal finance forum to a house of worship aligns pretty well with OP’s conclusion that it is a cult.

Umm, the difference is a matter of degree.

A religion always has some tenets that one has to accept. You cannot deny or question these tenets. You just don't argue about these tenets. If you don't agree, you have to leave. Go form your own religion.

A cult goes further. To quote a definition on the Web:

"Cult:

* a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
* a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
* a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing."

PS. As mentioned, I visited the BH forum for an hour or so many years ago, and read some ongoing discussions then. I concluded that it was a religion and left. I did not stay long enough to know if it was a cult. And unless I see it myself, I will reserve the classification.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #139

Between Vanguard and Bogleheads, how long will we be beating the dead horse... This seems to just be more of the same people making fun/belittling the same institutions/website. Surely there are better ways to share the information needed for early retirement. I can appreciate the original venting of the OP, but I'm sure it wasn't the intent of what has followed.

Just my 2c worth,

VW
Old 08-03-2022, 07:23 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Between Vanguard and Bogleheads, how long will we be beating the dead horse... This seems to just be more of the same people making fun/belittling the same institutions/website. Surely there are better ways to share the information needed for early retirement. I can appreciate the original venting of the OP, but I'm sure it wasn't the intent of what has followed.

Just my 2c worth,

VW
Probably about as long as certain people on Bogleheads continue to argue about intrenational (or not), factors (or not), 3-fund (or something else), tilting (or not), etc.

In all seriousness, I agree with you. On this forum or BH, though, I wouldn't confuse certain members' opinions with what the entire forum "believes", whatever that means.

Cheers,
Big papa