Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Sounds like jealously to me.

I play almost religiously twice a week with about twenty other seniors and we have guys that shoot in the 70s as well as the 90s but everyone to a tee, likes to see and respects a great shot and always comments in the affirmative, like nice shot or heck of a drive, putt, sand safe, etc. Only when the round is over, the money counted and alcohol consumed does the brash trash talk and sly insults come out, but during the round, never.
I generally am able to shoot in the high 60s.

I only play 9 holes though.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
Administrator

Since you pay by the round, you might as well get as many shots for your money as you can.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I count my blessings. I am 62, healthy, in good enough shape to walk the course and not get tired, and can choose to play golf whenever I want. The day will come when those things will no longer be true. So if anyone wants to call anything I do on the course "lucky", I am fine with it.

An observation that may only interest me: the better the golfers I play with, the less likely "luck" is ever mentioned.
Makes sense. The better the players, the more appreciation for true talent.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
My competitive golf comment was more of a reference to the example you listed, not a true competition prize money event.
I thought I was reinforcing your POV, I didn’t mean anything else.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought I was reinforcing your POV, I didn’t mean anything else.
All good as they say.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next time, can you reply something like, " Yes, I found out that after I practice for X hours a week, I get luckier".
But I am not a golfer. 9 holes is enough for me. One of the last times I played (many years ago), one in my group would get visibly upset when he did not do well on a shot. And all I could think about was, "It's a game. there are a lot of soldiers and sailors away from home right now in crappy circumstances. We have nothing to complain about".
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnontrad View Post
Next time, can you reply something like, " Yes, I found out that after I practice for X hours a week, I get luckier".
But I am not a golfer. 9 holes is enough for me. One of the last times I played (many years ago), one in my group would get visibly upset when he did not do well on a shot. And all I could think about was, "It's a game. there are a lot of soldiers and sailors away from home right now in crappy circumstances. We have nothing to complain about".
Yeah it's a game. Why make an ass of yourself for nothing. Of course it's not a critical part of my being.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

On another tact, I can see why being called "lucky" would be irritating. there are many times when a woman is called "lucky" while a man with the same accomplishment would be congratulated for their achievement. So if it gets to the point where it bothers you too much, find a different group to play with.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I play in a senior golf league, and most of us, self included, are genuinely happy when another player pulls off a great shot. I've run into 2 (of more than 60) guys who make it a habit to tell others 'you sure are lucky' after good shots, specifically good putts. Out of the blue one of them happened to blurt out 'I wish I was lucky' later in a round. Huh?

I happened to sink two 15-20 foot breaking putts today, on the second one I got the lucky comment from another player in the group. Having missed two shorter birdie opportunities and burning the edge several times before and after, I believe if you hit a lot of good putts, some are bound to go in - whether it's me, or anyone else I play with. I bit my tongue, but I was a little miffed at the comment.

The regular 6-12 guys I play with, we're genuinely happy for each other when any of us hits a great shot or putt. Some "luck" is part of golf, or most any sport or pastime if you work at it no?

I think I've seen similar resentment thoughts here when others have called early retirees lucky - instead of acknowledging years of LBYM.

[/rant][/whine]
I just laugh and say "even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then".
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I play in a senior golf league, and most of us, self included, are genuinely happy when another player pulls off a great shot. I've run into 2 (of more than 60) guys who make it a habit to tell others 'you sure are lucky' after good shots, specifically good putts. Out of the blue one of them happened to blurt out 'I wish I was lucky' later in a round. Huh?

I happened to sink two 15-20 foot breaking putts today, on the second one I got the lucky comment from another player in the group. Having missed two shorter birdie opportunities and burning the edge several times before and after, I believe if you hit a lot of good putts, some are bound to go in - whether it's me, or anyone else I play with. I bit my tongue, but I was a little miffed at the comment.
The guy who made that "lucky" comment sounds pretty passive aggressive to me. Maybe it's time to consider looking for other people to play golf with, that are not so annoying.

Life is short so do what makes you happiest.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Cheating might be too strong a word, but you know things like mulligans, moving the ball to a better lie, wrong count on strokes, not counting penalty strokes, etc.
Ummm, this is the very definition of cheating in golf.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLife View Post
Ummm, this is the very definition of cheating in golf.
Yes it is. lol
Old 09-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to play about average golf, and focused on my own game not others. Wish everyone was doing the same! Many people have character flaws just below the surface. Competitive activities expose these often quickly.
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
The first year I retired I had 3 holes-in-one in 12 months-- I was definitely "lucky" because I am not a great player--I usually shoot around 90. Several of my playing partners kept telling me how lucky I was, even my husband said so. But I was unlucky too--at my club the tradition is to buy a round of drinks when you have a hole in one--so those 3 holes-in-one cost me a bundle. In fact the second of the holes in one was during a tournament, it was a very expensive shot. But heck I got my name in the paper so there's that.
If you are really frugal, you'll make a point never to hit a hole-in-one in a tournament.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote