Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sinkholes seem to be concentrated in certain regions of Florida, mid-state and northward.

From Florida Division of Emergency Management 2018 State Hazard Report, map of sinkhole hazards:
https://www.floridadisaster.org/cont...ole-report.pdf

omni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Florida sinkhole hazard rankings.JPG (58.8 KB, 150 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're full down here. Thanks for your interest.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
From the article: "An expert on the impact of climate change on financial markets has advice for anyone thinking of buying a home in Florida: don’t.
I suspect that for most Floridians out-of-control over-development and hurricanes rank higher than sea-level rise as threats to quality of life.

Those folks who slap down millions to buy coastal property have more guts than I do. I would feel exposed buying down on the beach. Pleasant waterfront (if not beachfront) views can be purchased for much less by looking inland a few miles. Whatever floats your boat (or yacht, for some folks ) is fine with me.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Not to belittle anyone that lives there but it would be that last place on earth I would want to live.
One less person thinking about moving to Florida is good.
Plus let us know this winter how the wind chill factor is in Montana.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Sinkholes seem to be concentrated in certain regions of Florida, mid-state and northward.

From Florida Division of Emergency Management 2018 State Hazard Report, map of sinkhole hazards:

omni
Yes there are enough developments in Pasco county which have had sinkhole issues. It is a real issue, but affects a very minor part of the population.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
It's not that the tides are rising. It's the combined weight of all those extra Yankees moving in that's pressing the state downward.
Good point. Look what might happen to Guam!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hank-jo...arine-buildup/

Quote:
Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is raising some eyebrows with a comment he made about the U.S. territory of Guam during a House Armed Services Committee hearing last Thursday.
In a discussion regarding a planned military buildup on the Pacific island, Johnson expressed some concerns about the plans to Adm. Robert Willard, head of the U.S. Pacific fleet.
"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," Johnson said.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
One less person thinking about moving to Florida is good.
Plus let us know this winter how the wind chill factor is in Montana.
Love winter so many great outdoor activities to do. No people and hurricanes and the problems that they have in beautiful Florida. Lol Have a great hot humid summer.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think it's wonderful that we don't all want to live in the same place. Keeps the cost of housing down in our chosen retirement locations.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

Ive written a florida winter home purchase off (still want to checkout coastal panhandle) because of the crowds. The locals know there are 2 seasons in parts of florida tourist and nice. The thing is it is growing at a staggering pace. Undoubtably the infrastructure will be taxed further..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #30

Where are all of these people coming from ? We live in Texas 30 minutes from Houston and it seems every time we get on the freeways we see a new sub division and a new strip center . Austin used to be a great town , now sucks . Don't come to Texas just as bad !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
When we bought our first Florida home in 2006, I remember someone showing me an article with “scientific research” being cited that the area my house was in would be under water within ten years. We did sell that house in 2016, but not because it was under water. We now have a condo on the water just north of Ft Lauderdale. Not worried one bit.

Many houses purchased in Florida, in 2006, were in fact under water by the time 2016 rolled around. But, not from any kind of scientific standpoint!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #32
Administrator

Around here, all the malcontents regularly threaten to pull up stakes and move to Florida, because taxes, living expenses, government, crime, weather, blah, blah, blah ... I'm certain they think they'll create an absolute paradise wherever they end up. I think it far more likely they'll merely be a congregation of whiny old people who piss and moan about everything and make the locals wish they had never come.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Around here, all the malcontents regularly threaten to pull up stakes and move to Florida, because taxes, living expenses, government, crime, weather, blah, blah, blah ... I'm certain they think they'll create an absolute paradise wherever they end up. I think it far more likely they'll merely be a congregation of whiny old people who piss and moan about everything and make the locals wish they had never come.

Sounds like my Mom and stepdad you just described. They bought a second home in Florida back around 2002. It's inland, some place called Grand Island. I've never been to it, as the idea of spending a vacation with my Mom and stepdad is not high on my list of fun things to do. Anyway, their intention was to move down there, from Maryland, once they retired.

Well, they retired in 2011, and keep griping about Maryland, but haven't pulled the plug yet! And, they are turning into whiny old people...
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

All the whining is relative.
The 2 biggest complaints around here is the traffic and the heat.
Well, the DGF and I love the heat, truly. Played 2 hours of competitive pickleball yesterday in 96 degree heat. As I am playing, I am thinking it is great to be able to do this sport in the middle of the weekday.
As for the traffic, it is much less than where I came from, plus being retired and not in a retirement hot spot, one can avoid most of the traffic issues.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Where are all of these people coming from ? We live in Texas 30 minutes from Houston and it seems every time we get on the freeways we see a new sub division and a new strip center . Austin used to be a great town , now sucks . Don't come to Texas just as bad !

Probably California. The state is doing its best to drive out middle and upper middle class folks by taxing them to the point of no return. The very poor stay for all the free services, and the very rich stay because they can. The rest of us are like frogs in the pot of hot water. The heat gets turned up every year and more and more of us leave for lower tax environments with decent weather.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #36
Administrator

Even the gators are well educated in Florida and are laying out clever traps
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 17.32.03.png (402.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Some of our new neighbors in our 55+ community have moved here from Florida. Little do they know that it is not much better here. I think they came here to follow the grandkids which seems to be a driving force these days.

Oh, and between the 4,500 new homes going up in Willis, and the two planned subdivisions east of I-45 and south of Rt 242, there will be about 15,000 new single family homes being populated here (The Woodlands area) in the nest 5 years.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We considered a home in Forida and some in surrounding states. Decided against it. It was down the list, below Costa Rica. IF we buy, it will probably be somewhere on Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The Florida crowding surprised me, too. We are paying about 30% higher auto insurance rates because of it; whereas, when I moved from Florida to MD in 1980, my auto insurance was much higher in MD.

Anyway, I surmise that "They" are the gazillions of people, born in the 1950's, who are finally retiring. "They" went to high school on double sessions. "They" drove up housing prices in the 1980's. In a few years, "They" will overload the assisted living facilities. It is just demographics in action.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
Thanks for posting that map. It is amazing how the sinkhole areas follow the county boundaries!!

But my sister lives in one of the high counties.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote