Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good thing we are all different, or the world would be a very dull place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
No interest in Florida at all. Yuck.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Plus Florida is crowded enough......
Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Plus Florida is crowded enough......
Plus it's full of nasty critters that want to eat you.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Yes all those alligators and 50 types of snakes including ones that can eat alligators.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't forget to mention the bugs, lots of them, everywhere.....day and night...and big...
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

And then there's the traffic on I-95

And hurricanes coming at you from every direction! Don't blink, here comes another one! Atlantic ones from the east, Gulf ones coming up the coastline on the west, hurricanes all over the place. They had FOUR major hurricanes in 2004, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. And probably others.

We're gonna end up with a list like REWahoo's Texas list if we keep going like this.

Actually I like Florida and might be living there myself, except F wants to live right here in New Orleans. And I'm not going anywhere without him.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see.

My hero.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Even during Bike week in Daytona, the "smarter" bikers come up to see the sights. Never heard of any trouble or issues. It is great to go and look at the bikes around the town square.

Oh god. I was willing to overlook the gators, snakes, spiders, termites, hurricanes, sinkholes, bumper to bumper, jellyfish, red tide, Parrotheads, pythons and hanging chads but Daytona Bike Week is a deal breaker.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Really the worst part is New England fishermen taking over the East Coast beaches all fall, winter, and spring. You can't go for a walk on the beach without getting tangled up in 9,000 fishing lines.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

I won't be moving to Florida. That's where my appendix ruptured. So I don't fear the alligators, giant bugs, traffic, crowds, and snakes. I fear medical maladies in that state.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

We looked at Florida. That's where you are supposed to retire to. Our parents both did. DF and FIL loved fishing, I hope I never forget a day off Marathon Key with them.

We were fishing for dolphin fish but caught 9 Cubans stranded at sea. They'd been out there 2 nights and would have hit Iceland in a few months if someone didn't help. Pretty cool day, caught some fish too.

I can't take the heat, no way. I woke up when it was 40°and it might hit 80° a few days this week.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I found the Sarasota/Bradenton area far too crowded and growing like no ones business. If you like traffic and hustle and bustle its for you.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/busin...203097914.html
Quote:
We agree, in fact anywhere on the West (Gulf) side is overflowing with people, cars and trucks. Until you get up the Western Pan Handle which is a far less desirable for year round living. We were going to relocate there, but after many, many home hunting visits we decided to stay in our general area.
Yup, you definitely do not want to go west coast and especially Sarasota/Bradenton area.

Honestly, we spend 6 months a year there and don't see the busi-ness as a problem... you just need to take likely traffic into account when going here or there... we tend to avoid the evening commuting hours if possible.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yup, you definitely do not want to go west coast and especially Sarasota/Bradenton area.

Honestly, we spend 6 months a year there and don't see the busi-ness as a problem... you just need to take likely traffic into account when going here or there... we tend to avoid the evening commuting hours if possible.
To each their own, we do not like being inconvenienced to that level. We got fed up of waiting for a restaurant table and driving anywhere on the Tamiami..

Now that said, here in the good part of Florida.... go anywhere North from and including Ponte Vedra to Amelia Island it is not much different.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Hey if one goes a little further from the coast on the gulf side and not in a retirement snowbird haven, no restaurant waits except Sat. night (one of our cooking nights).
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Just played Pickleball for 2 hours at 93 degrees with heat index at 104. All depends on one's tolerance of heat.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the (Pickleball) kitchen.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

That's the other thing about Florida. All those games old people play have such funny names. Pickleboard. Shuffleball. Pee-nockle.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That's the other thing about Florida. All those games old people play have such funny names. Pickleboard. Shuffleball. Pee-nockle.
Isn't that where you just moved to? If so, get used to the old people and their games!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

This is not my first time living in Florida. I have every right to poke fun because I've seen a lot of it before (although it's much more crowded now)

The weirdest thing, to me, is that the old people - besides being everywhere - look, talk, and act exactly like they did 40 years ago, even though these have got to be the grandchildren of the old people I remember. In that way, it is as if I never left.

I forgot that people who work in the stores are (generally) less surly than I'd grown accustomed to up north. We almost didn't know how to handle it when someone came over to help us with our large order at BJs. In the BJs where we used to shop, the employees mostly acted as if you were there to make their lives a burden, and should be apprised of that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Isn't that where you just moved to? If so, get used to the old people and their games!
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Don't complain about the temperatures in Florida. If you've ever been to Texas, Louisiana or even Arkansas on a Summer afternoon, temperatures will be higher than Florida and zero winds experienced.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hey hey I am "only" 59 playing that old person's game.
Actually many 20 somethings are now playing the game for (small) prize money.
National tournament in Naples.