Don't move to Florida?

Lol - my dad (rest his soul) used to have me park at the side of the Publix lot because he said the old people didn’t look when they back out of parking spaces

So true! Publix staff will assist the little old people by taking their bags to the car and putting them in the trunk. They should continue the process by backing out their car as well since, as stated, they don't look. When I go to Publix it is early on the way home from the gym. The older retirees don't begin moving until after 10 am.

Oh yeh, you can also shop at Winn Dixie. The food is cheaper so the older retirees on a fixed income tend to shop there. Winn Dixie employees will reply with a request to load you car to the tune of "ARE YOU JOKING!!!" The folks that shop at Winn Dixie therefore are more self reliant and appear to drive better. Perhaps this is because they don't have the money to pay for a car repair? :popcorn:

So true! Publix staff will assist the little old people by taking their bags to the car and putting them in the trunk. They should continue the process by backing out their car as well since, as stated, they don't look. When I go to Publix it is early on the way home from the gym. The older retirees don't begin moving until after 10 am.

Oh yeh, you can also shop at Winn Dixie. The food is cheaper so the older retirees on a fixed income tend to shop there. Winn Dixie employees will reply with a request to load you car to the tune of "ARE YOU JOKING!!!" The folks that shop at Winn Dixie therefore are more self reliant and appear to drive better. Perhaps this is because they don't have the money to pay for a car repair? :popcorn:

Nice analysis, but not crazy about the cleanliness at Winn Dixie by me.
Will still stand by my comment that there are many more young drivers involved in car accidents than elderly folk. At least in my area.

Thanks for the article. We are researching the possibility of moving to an active adult community in Florida. The bigger threat to real estate value IMHO is demographics. The future will have fewer retirees due to the baby boom & bust (also with fewer comfortable middle class pensions). Supply of homes will exceed demand exerting downward price pressure. We are in no rush, the North Carolina summer is hot enough.

Just came back from FL. Looked at some new communities in Ocala & Bradenton area. Ocala has "On the top of the world" community that seems reasonable but monthly HOA is very high. We plan to move to FL in next 2 years or so but not sure where to look --- North, Central, West, East, or South. Currently we are in IL :)

If we all liked the same part of the country it would be very crowded:))

Just came back from FL. Looked at some new communities in Ocala & Bradenton area. Ocala has "On the top of the world" community that seems reasonable but monthly HOA is very high. We plan to move to FL in next 2 years or so but not sure where to look --- North, Central, West, East, or South. Currently we are in IL :)

I found the Sarasota/Bradenton area far too crowded and growing like no ones business. If you like traffic and hustle and bustle its for you.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business/article203097914.html

I found the Sarasota/Bradenton area far too crowded and growing like no ones business. If you like traffic and hustle and bustle its for you.

We agree, in fact anywhere on the West (Gulf) side is overflowing with people, cars and trucks. Until you get up the Western Pan Handle which is a far less desirable for year round living. We were going to relocate there, but after many, many home hunting visits we decided to stay in our general area.

Plus Florida is crowded enough......

And then there's the traffic on I-95 :eek:

And hurricanes coming at you from every direction! Don't blink, here comes another one! Atlantic ones from the east, Gulf ones coming up the coastline on the west, hurricanes all over the place. They had FOUR major hurricanes in 2004, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. And probably others.

We're gonna end up with a list like REWahoo's Texas list if we keep going like this. :LOL:

Actually I like Florida and might be living there myself, except F wants to live right here in New Orleans. And I'm not going anywhere without him.
:smitten:

Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see.

My hero.

Even during Bike week in Daytona, the "smarter" bikers come up to see the sights. Never heard of any trouble or issues. It is great to go and look at the bikes around the town square.

Oh god. I was willing to overlook the gators, snakes, spiders, termites, hurricanes, sinkholes, bumper to bumper, jellyfish, red tide, Parrotheads, pythons and hanging chads but Daytona Bike Week is a deal breaker.

Really the worst part is New England fishermen taking over the East Coast beaches all fall, winter, and spring. You can't go for a walk on the beach without getting tangled up in 9,000 fishing lines.

I won't be moving to Florida. That's where my appendix ruptured. So I don't fear the alligators, giant bugs, traffic, crowds, and snakes. I fear medical maladies in that state.

We looked at Florida. That's where you are supposed to retire to. Our parents both did. DF and FIL loved fishing, I hope I never forget a day off Marathon Key with them.

We were fishing for dolphin fish but caught 9 Cubans stranded at sea. They'd been out there 2 nights and would have hit Iceland in a few months if someone didn't help. Pretty cool day, caught some fish too.

I can't take the heat, no way. I woke up when it was 40°and it might hit 80° a few days this week.

We agree, in fact anywhere on the West (Gulf) side is overflowing with people, cars and trucks. Until you get up the Western Pan Handle which is a far less desirable for year round living. We were going to relocate there, but after many, many home hunting visits we decided to stay in our general area.

Yup, you definitely do not want to go west coast and especially Sarasota/Bradenton area. :D

Honestly, we spend 6 months a year there and don't see the busi-ness as a problem... you just need to take likely traffic into account when going here or there... we tend to avoid the evening commuting hours if possible.

Yup, you definitely do not want to go west coast and especially Sarasota/Bradenton area. :D

Honestly, we spend 6 months a year there and don't see the busi-ness as a problem... you just need to take likely traffic into account when going here or there... we tend to avoid the evening commuting hours if possible.

To each their own, we do not like being inconvenienced to that level. We got fed up of waiting for a restaurant table and driving anywhere on the Tamiami..

Now that said, here in the good part of Florida.... :D go anywhere North from and including Ponte Vedra to Amelia Island it is not much different.

Hey if one goes a little further from the coast on the gulf side and not in a retirement snowbird haven, no restaurant waits except Sat. night (one of our cooking nights).

Just played Pickleball for 2 hours at 93 degrees with heat index at 104. All depends on one's tolerance of heat.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the (Pickleball) kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom