Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Don't Talk to Cops
Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't Talk to Cops

I watched both of these (part 1 and part 2) and was surprised by what was said! None of us would think saying "anything" could work against us. part 1 is from a lawyer so maybe you won't be all that surprised but he says some things that show how you can get into trouble but part 2 is from a cop and not what you might think. This isn't about getting stopped for speeding as much as criminal offenses.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

There is definitely some truth to
Quote:
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I saw it was ~45 minutes, I knew I wasn't going to watch the whole thing - - - - until I began. How interesting !! I watch Investigation Discovery TV a lot (the 'whodunnit' channel) and the impression is that the cops can tell who is innocent and let them be. These were very enlightening - Thanks !
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
When I saw it was ~45 minutes, I knew I wasn't going to watch the whole thing - - - - until I began. How interesting !! I watch Investigation Discovery TV a lot (the 'whodunnit' channel) and the impression is that the cops can tell who is innocent and let them be. These were very enlightening - Thanks !
+1
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Administrator

If I had only seen that presentation before my last conviction.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If I had only seen that presentation before my last conviction.
Well, at least you've seen it before your next one...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Very interesting. I hope never to be stopped, but if I am, I need to remember to keep my big mouth shut.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting! Hope I'm never in a position to have to heed that advice. I think I'd find it very difficult to resist the temptation to "help" the police, or otherwise trying to convince them of my innocence. I've read a few books whose themes were the wrongly convicted... 2 that come to mind were true stories involving men who were imprisoned because of a over zealous DA in Ada, OK. However, the men had actually confessed (under duress) to murder. Much later they were exonerated.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, at least you've seen it before your next one...
No kidding, what with that "three strikes and you're out" thing I really need to stay on the straight and narrow...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This was geared more for committing crimes, but I have been pulled over at least 15 times for various minor traffic offenses, and have only received one ticket, and that was the first time back in around 1986. I haven't feed them any lies, or half lies, and just told the truth. I believe, that may have been the reason why I didn't get the ticket. Or maybe I just think that, and real truth is they had already met their quota for the day.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW. Two take-aways...

1) Exculpatory comments to police **CANNOT** be used in court. WOW
2) FIRST THING the cop said was that everything the law professor said was true. WOW

NEVER talk to a cop. Period.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #12

Very enlightening. I hope never to have to use the info, but it's very good.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #13

Very interesting and potentially helpful. Thanks for posting.

So what happens if you refuse to talk to a cop who pulls you over for, say, a speeding violation?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Nobody said to not comply... if s/he asks the "do you know how fast you were going" question - you can honestly say that you are choosing to exercise your rights under the US Constitution. You WILL get a ticket AND a closer look in general. Probably ask if it is ok to search your car. AGAIN, you can refuse. That, too, is your right. Which WILL cause them to roll the canine unit. So it all rolls downhill. Depends on how much of a stand YOU want to take.

I most always set the cruise on the truck ... whether on the freeway OR in town. It really does help. Have not had the opportunity to speak with a law enforcement officer in an official capacity for YEARS. And hope to continue that tradition.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Nobody said to not comply... if s/he asks the "do you know how fast you were going" question - you can honestly say that you are choosing to exercise your rights under the US Constitution.
One video ("Know Your Rights"?) suggests to answer the question with another question: "How may I help you, officer?"
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Over a dozen posts into the discussion... have we heard from an actual police officer yet?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fans of "Law and Order" already know not to speak to the police. We've seen the consequences hundreds of times. It's NEVER to your advantage in any situation you MIGHT be or MIGHT BECOME a suspect. Period. Police never believe you and they will lie to you. Not a good way to establish rapport.

I must have taken this to heart very well. A few years ago, I got a phone call from "Sgt. so-n-so" of "such-n-such" police dept. He stated that a car with my license number had been seen in an area and that someone had been stealing mail. He kept attempting to elicit statements. "Have you ever been in that area?" "Is this your license number?" On and on. I basically changed the subject, asked a question or didn't answer (though never "invoking" my right to silence). Finally, he seemed exasperated and simply said all he needed was a statement that I had not stolen any mail. I almost didn't give him that, but figured after 10 minutes I would comply. Had he asked even one more question, I would have invoked privilege. Never heard another word about it.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Administrator

I enjoyed watching those videos, thanks for posting them.

I was a jury member in August on a family assault case and I was impressed that everything that the arresting police officer stated could be, and was, verified by actual voice recordings of the events. While the officer was in the ER talking with the victim and admitting nurse, and while he was at the house of the defendant you could hear all the dialog captured using the patrol car's video recording system. (the web cam was simply showing the view out of the front of the car, but the wireless microphone was with the officer when he was out of the vehicle). On the journey to station the defendant could be seen in the rear seat while he continued to talk to the officer. (The defendant was as drunk as a skunk)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Remember the JonBenet Ramsey murder? Didn't the parents refuse to talk to the police for a long time? I think that refusal led to them being tried & convicted in the court of public opinion.

Cases like that ... it would be very difficult *not* to talk to the police, but is an example of what the 2 men in the videos were addressing: family is high on the list of suspects & are most @ risk to having something they say come back to haunt them.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought the info that 25% of people exonerated by DNA testing had confessed to crimes they hadn't committed was pretty striking. Shows what cops will do when under the pressure of a major crime.

Although the cop in the video was frank and provided valuable knowledge from his experience, he also appears never to have had any doubt but that he knew who was guilty and who was innocent. This is a Bad Thing.
Closed Thread