Doomsday Shelters Making a Comeback

You are one wild cat !!!
What am I supposed to think about this?
The end of mankind?
Steve:)

At the beginning of the video, it says, "Where would you go with three days notice?"

I wonder how they came to that conclusion....

...as for me, I guess I'd go to Las Vegas and put it all on 22...

Not bad, only $50K per adult. But only 100 sq.ft. of living space per person... People have to be approved before they can buy in and I have the feeling that I'm not what they are looking for. Anyways, if the world ends in 2012, I'd rather become extinct with the rest of humanity.

Wonder if I could take my cat?

Attachments

• tinfoil_hat_cat.jpg
    tinfoil_hat_cat.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 6
Wonder if I could take my cat?

You could, and pets get in for free according to their website!

Cute cat by the way, though he doesn't seem to appreciate the teletubbies look...;)

I always wonder... Say you decide to play gofer 300 ft. underground while the rest of your friends and family roasts up above. You now find yourself in a closed community of strangers. Who runs the place? Would the laws and constitution of the United States still apply? Who would enforce them? Would the shelter be run like a democracy? What if the person in charge believes that North Korea is truly a democratic republic? So many questions, so few days left...:LOL:

Not my cat really. Just found the picture on photobucket. My cat would never tolerate that thing on his head.:nonono:

What happens if there is no three day notice? Say only 1 hr? Get a refund?

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I saw an advertisement about this show on tv last night....

Doomsday Preppers - National Geographic Channel

Doomsday Preppers explores the lives of otherwise ordinary Americans who are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. Unique in their beliefs, motivations, and strategies, preppers will go to whatever lengths they can to make sure they are prepared for any of life’s uncertainties. And with our expert’s assessment, they will find out their chances of survival if their worst fears become a reality.

I'll probably record the series...might learn something, or might poke holes in it.

I missed this thread when it got started and the linked Vivos ad.

Wonder if this Vivos business is even real. Let alone the practicality of buyers being able to get to the shelter in time of crisis, do they really have enough food, water, fuel, and miscellaneous provision to support subscribers underground for 1 to 5 years like they claim? I would have thought that would cost a heck of a lot more than $50K.

Anyway, if one wants to be a really prepared SHTF survivalist, he would need to do it himself. Here's a start: old cold-war silos hardened to the US Military Specs are still available. Why take chances with civilian construction? And you can have the whole huge bunker for your family and yourself. Excerpt from a typical property description follows.

Communications Bunker site - Russell, KS
Communications bunker with 8,800 sq. ft. of nuclear hardened underground floor-space. 13.1 acres m/l. 177 ft. tower with income potential. Structure is clean and ready for immediate use with some new paint and tile work. Creative financing possible with significant down payment. Price $750,000.

OK, so it costs a bit more than $50K, but how else can one be sure? Don't fool around. And you might as well spend some of that money that would be worthless in a world-wide catastrophe anyway.

For more properties like the above, see this.

Last edited:
If you had listened to coast to coast in the wee hours you would know about these shelters already. With that radio show it's always the sky is falling. They even have a guy come on that they call Dr. Doom.

Hmm. Must research for potential investments... if someone will profit from fear mongers spreading FUD it might as well be me...

OK, now I am creeped out. Got a tip from a relative and watched episode 4 the other night. One of the featured preppers is a childhood friend I have not seen in some time.

OK, now I am creeped out. Got a tip from a relative and watched episode 4 the other night. One of the featured preppers is a childhood friend I have not seen in some time.
That IS creepy.

I've been watching the programs. One that comes to mind in particular was the guy that was getting his family prepared for doomsday by having a bug-out trailer available to hitch to his truck when they needed to flee. He was also planning on a building a bunker in the desert.

He took his boys out to the desert for some practice shooting. He felt the boys needed to know how to shoot and take down any intruders.

His gun backfired and nearly blew his thumb off. At the sight of a little blood, the guy fainted. ....how does he think he'll react if he actually shoots someone? Made me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

I had [-]religious nut friends[/-] acquaintances that were doomsdayers! Weird with a capital W!!! They were stockpiling dehydrated food and all that stuff. Seems that a [-]wacked out religious nut huckster[/-] caring 'evangelist' came through town, and explained how God was going to [-]blow up and destroy most all of mankind[/-] purge civilization of the naughty people within only a couple of short years. So, therefore, it was imperative that they [-]repent or die like scumbags[/-] live right and buy HUMONGOUS amounts of survival food and supplies....from his [-]huckster business[/-] ministry. A lot of people bought into his theory and purchased a LOT of his products. Almost all of the folks that I knew that bought in back in the mid-70's are now dead, so it did them absolutely no good anyway! :duh:

Only a few technical or logistical problems with all that from my viewpoint. First, they needed an equally humongous amount of space to store all of their newly acquired survival goodies....you know, enough stuff to last ALL members of their family for something like 3 years. The main problem with that is that most of those people owned the clothes on their backs, and rented a small house or apartment. So where ya gonna put all that, brother? And what happens when the landlord throws your butt out because you can't go to work....because your "surviving" a holocaust. Umm, these folks never even considered a bunker of any sort! :facepalm:

Next problem I saw was that most of their survival meals were dehydrated! Ummmm, where ya gonna get, or store ALL the uncontaminated water needed to prepare you're meals? Ooops....guess they overlooked that one also! :facepalm: There are several other glitches with their plans too, but these two were the most blatantly obvious to me.

I was flipping through he channel the other evening, and came across the "Doomsday Preppers" show. Too freaking weird for me!!! Only watched for a brief time, the flipped over to the FOOD Network! Hey, each to their own....but they can have all that doomsday hoopla to themselves. I'll pass!!! :greetings10:

My own opinion is that if the world is going to end, well, the world is going to end! There ain't a dang thing that I can do to stop it, so why waste even one split second of my life worrying about it! When it comes my time to go, i'm gonna go. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy my life and party on!!! :dance:

Preppers show

Next problem I saw was that most of their survival meals were dehydrated!

I liked the show, it covers the pros and cons of preparing for disaster. The world does not have to end IMHO; we have earthquakes etc.
We are storing water (blue barrels) so we can re-hydrate the meals and most people out here have RVs which have generators and water.

The best thought out survival plan I've ever seen was at a military installation I was once stationed at.
There was a central power plant that provided electricity, steam and hot water to all the other main buildings. Those utilities were in deep tunnels underground that were deliberately made far larger than necessary.

If it ever became necessary to go into survival mode (this was during the cold war), the occupants of the buildings could simply go down into the tunnels below and take shelter. There were large quantities of "survival biscuits" stored in the tunnels, and it was only necessary to tap into the water lines to get a drink. There were also drains for, er, sanitation

I was pretty impressed at the planning that went into that installation. Most people who worked there were unaware of even the existence of those utility tunnels.

Back
Top Bottom