Dory's Cold Brewed Works!

unclemick

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Did a little jackleg experimenting - Winn-Dixie generic instead of Walmart 13 oz vacuum pack coffee - put 13 oz in a plastic ice tea pitcher last night - put 1 pint water(16 oz) - wasn't enough to 'wet' all the grounds - added 'enough' to wet to the top.

This morning strained half a cup of 'the liquor' thru paper towel into cup added water - nuked in the microwave - richer, rounder, fuller with less 'acid bite' than my normal perk stuff.

Hope the caffene content is down - plan to 'experiment' with portions on a few more cups.

Thanks for posting this Unclemick2......I wanted to try the cold brew method but didn't want to buy the pot in case I didn't like it.

Four cups later - I'm a little awash in coffee - but a really cheap er frugal type could really cut the 'liquor' to water ratio and still get a decent tasting cup of coffee.

To each his own of course! Done experimenting for today.

For those in the warmer climes and later on in the summer for those that dont, try this treat.

Take a "shot" of that super concentrated coffee, pour it over a tall glass of ice. Open up a can of sweetened condensed milk and add a big gloopy tablespoon of it to the glass (basically scoop with a tablespoon and take the heaping spoonful to the glass). Add milk to the top and stir vigorously. Enjoy.

A parallel to Vietnamese style coffee, where they deliver a 'mini pot' of coffee grounds saturated in hot water at the beginning of your meal; at the end of the meal the grounds are 'pressed out' to the bottom and the resulting super thick espresso-like coffee is prepared as above.

JG will like it, its similar to those starbucks drinks he pays through the nose for. These cost about a quarter for a large glass to make. Get read to mow the lawn with your teeth afterwards though...its one HECK of a pick-me-up...

unclemick2 said:
Did a little jackleg experimenting - Winn-Dixie generic instead of Walmart 13 oz vacuum pack coffee - put 13 oz in a plastic ice tea pitcher last night - put 1 pint water(16 oz) - wasn't enough to 'wet' all the grounds - added 'enough' to wet to the top.

This morning strained half a cup of 'the liquor' thru paper towel into cup added water - nuked in the microwave - richer, rounder, fuller with less 'acid bite' than my normal perk stuff.

Hope the caffene content is down - plan to 'experiment' with portions on a few more cups.
Fwiw, we use about 72 oz of water - 9 pints - which just fiolles the container they supply, when it also has coffee in it. After it is drained, the usable liquid is about 48oz. The rest is absorbed by the grounds. (If I am in a REALLY frugal mood, I squeeze another few ounces out of the grounds.)

Also, the filters can be bought separately, something like $1.50 - $2 each. They last many months. They are about 3/8" - 1/2" thick, and look like they are made of felt, or something with similar consistency.

Coarse coffee works best - finely ground coffee tends to clog the filter.

Back
Top Bottom