Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Koolau,
I've noticed that the condo fees tend to be higher than townhomes.

In Minneapolis there is a big corporation that seems to have a monopoly on HOA management, and all of the communities that have them managing their HOA have especially high fees.

I'm surprised all of these communities are choosing to use them.

Yes, I'm cheap, and the high fees turn me off.

JP
My experience is limited. Our HOA dues at the town home were only slightly smaller than our condo HOA dues. I suspect a lot of the dues are related to expected repairs. For instance, our condo had to replace the elevators. Half a mil without breaking a sweat. The town houses had no elevators. Of course, the town homes were spread out and had acres of roads and parking areas while the condo has a parking structure. Not sure which requires more maintenance. In short, it all depends... So YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #62
Dryer sheet wannabe

The townhouse style condo I owned many years ago was great. Everything was done, grass, snow, outside maintenance, etc. It was built with 2x6 wood construction with good insulation and I never heard my neighbour's, it was very quiet. It was very easy to lock and vacation!

If I ever buy another one in the future I would most likely buy one that is new. Then you will have quite a few years that you won't have to worry about large ticket repairs or replacement items like a new roof or windows. In this area the developer must fund the start of the reserve fund as well these homes typically have a 5 year "new home warranty".

You will normally have a few years of modest condo fees with modest annual increases. It also reduces the likelihood of owners and delinquent fees, which can be a huge issue for the condo board and reserve fund.
Getyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Our townhouse complex had the most problems with termites and carpenter ants as it was all wood. Of course, the association did use intense measures to head off termites which was mostly effective. We DID get carpenter ants but the damage was slight before we discovered the issue which was remedied - at HOA expense.

Leaks are the big issue in the concrete condo we currently occupy. Residents are responsible for water damage "their" pipes cause. No way to prevent it short of tearing out walls and "looking" so no one does that. We fix/replace as needed.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Not Doing It
Old 02-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Not Doing It

I have a house near San Francisco that looks directly at the Golden Gate Bridge. Also a country house North of here in the wine country.

Like my neighbor said, "I'm only leaving feet first".

Just got some great pizza near me, can't do that after about 6pm at the country house, so I want both.

Building a barn on acreage this summer for all my cars, tractors and hobbies.

I'm up sizing till the end.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
I have a house near San Francisco that looks directly at the Golden Gate Bridge. Also a country house North of here in the wine country.

Like my neighbor said, "I'm only leaving feet first".

Just got some great pizza near me, can't do that after about 6pm at the country house, so I want both.

Building a barn on acreage this summer for all my cars, tractors and hobbies.

I'm up sizing till the end.
Any relation to RobbieB?