DQOTD: Would you pay $100K to avoid winters?

Mexico or Central America?

May be too hot for some people.
Only on the coasts. It is dry and cooler inland. Here is a place 40 miles south of PV where our friends from Kentucky live. El Tuito Weather No ocean views.

April and May tend to be the hottest months in inland areas like San Miguel. But low humidity and sweater weather.

Even better if I can wear shorts to dinner. I can even remember working in Austin during the summer on a business trip and the days were hot but the summer evenings were amazing.
We can eat outdoors and only have to lower the sun shades 2 hours before sunset. Mid-day we stay in the shade.

OP may be comfortable living in a distant suburb in his home region around Chicago, but may find places 25-50 miles from the two North Carolina cities far less comfortable for a transplant than places closer in.
LOL. Not everybody down there loves those damn yankees?

Even as a relocated North Carolinian, I still believe that once and I fully retire, we will head South for two to three weeks each winter. Either that or take a two week cruise. Maximum cost would be 4K or 5k + we don't have to physically move, again. A two week break in the winter does the trick for us.

By the way, we really didn't have a winter, this year.

Michael

I didn't read every post, but what I did read did not mention family. I've lived north all my life. I too, hate the cold. In my younger years, I thought retirement would certainly include moving south. Then my kids grew up and one of them had kids (my grandkids). All live very close and we get to be a part of their lives.

While we don't have kids, we do have grandnieces, grandnephews and other family, and DW is very attached to them and is a very frequent presence in their lives. I also hate cold weather and initially I wanted to move to one of the Carolinas for warmer weather. But I realized that DW would be at best very unhappy missing family gatherings and didn't want to take that away from her. BTW, DW hates cold weather almost as much as I do.

I found that once retired, winters aren't as bad if I can pick and choose when to go outside. The first winter here in WV we had a well-forecast 3-foot snowfall. We had stocked up on food and movies and except for getting the mail and newspaper didn't go out of the house for a week. Some people would be climbing the walls by then but it doesn't bother us.

Oh, and we like the house warm and keep it that way. When the house was built we paid for extra insulation and house wrapping, and a major draw was that it was heated with natural gas, not commonly found in this area.

Last edited:
It is an interesting question of how many folks children stay in the same area and how many move away. In my case my parents lived in MI, I ended up in Houston, and my sister ended up in Albuquerque. So there was nothing keeping them there so they moved to central Tx. I don't have kids, but of my sisters kids 2 live out of town and one in town. (her son lived in ABQ for a while but then got a transfer) In particular if kids go to college or grad school outside the local area, how many return? In my case MI did not have much employment in the oil business so I ended up in Houston. My parents moved 150 miles away from her parents.
But of course today staying in contact is so much cheaper and easier than in the past, both the free nature of long distance calls on cell phones, texts and messages, and various forms of social media.

DW and I just concluded our first winter as retirees. The Michigan winter did not strike us as bad at all. After years on the road travelling to mostly the Northeast I previously considered moving South. Three years working in Florida cured me of that.
I think before we'd part with 100k I'd take the time to experience the area for an extended period.

Back
Top Bottom