Dream Car

model-s-signature-red_1024x1024_e.jpg

And it should be here within a week!!

I almost said that, but it didn't quite do it completely for me.

I though very hard about buying a Model S, but the performance version was more than I want to spend for as much as I drive now. Hardly worth it for the weekly grocery shopping. I'll see what 2015 brings I guess. Smaller car and a sports car I hear.

th

I have simple tastes.......:)

Good choice, I bought a new 66 SS 396 new back in the day. A buddy of mine bought a 67 396 Chevelle with the 350HP the year after. We changed the motor to a 427 with square port heads, dual bolt mains, a crane cam and had the engine done by S&K speed in NY. In the mid 70's when the muscle car era was over he sold me the 67 and I kept it for about 12 years. The car turned 11.30 at 128MPH in the quarter. Nothing like pulling the front wheels off the ground on a 7 grand hole shot.

On your 67 red convert I would have loved to have the 375HP motor. That year they only made 612 of them, very rare.

I almost said that, but it didn't quite do it completely for me.

I though very hard about buying a Model S, but the performance version was more than I want to spend for as much as I drive now. Hardly worth it for the weekly grocery shopping. I'll see what 2015 brings I guess. Smaller car and a sports car I hear.

Nice car but too many doors for me.

Probably a big, tarted up Roadtrek with all the trimmings, 4X4 and a diesel engine.

The early 1960's XKE convertibles get my vote for the best looking car ever. I would love to have a fully restored one! But I wouldn't love to pay for it.

Good choice, I bought a new 66 SS 396 new back in the day. A buddy of mine bought a 67 396 Chevelle with the 350HP the year after. We changed the motor to a 427 with square port heads, dual bolt mains, a crane cam and had the engine done by S&K speed in NY. In the mid 70's when the muscle car era was over he sold me the 67 and I kept it for about 12 years. The car turned 11.30 at 128MPH in the quarter. Nothing like pulling the front wheels off the ground on a 7 grand hole shot.

On your 67 red convert I would have loved to have the 375HP motor. That year they only made 612 of them, very rare.

My 67 SS396 was not a convert (white with black vinyl top), but as a 17 yo, I sure loved that car and wish I had it today. After a few thousand miles, it was moded by Motion Performance. Needed M&Hs on the street for fun, otherwise with street tires there was zero traction and tread life could be counted in weeks, especially with 4.56 rear.

Don't really remember square port heads back then, those must have been a special order Chevy item or aftermarket?

My 67 SS396 was not a convert (white with black vinyl top), but as a 17 yo, I sure loved that car and wish I had it today. After a few thousand miles, it was moded by Motion Performance. Needed M&Hs on the street for fun, otherwise with street tires there was zero traction and tread life could be counted in weeks, especially with 4.56 rear.

Don't really remember square port heads back then, those must have been a special order Chevy item or aftermarket?

In 67 the Chevelle SS came standard with the 396 CI motor. There was a choice of 3 different HP motors. 325HP was the lowest, 350HP was the same motor with a different cam. The there was the 396 375HP. This car really had about 425HP. The difference with the engine was that it had different heads with the square ports. Also a solid lifter cam, dual bolt mains, higher compression and a host of other goodies. In 67 there were only 612 made with this engine as it was only available for a few months during the production run. In 66 there were many more 375HP Chevelles produced.

I lived very close to Motion Performance on Sunrise Hwy back in NY. They were hooked up with Baldwin Chevrolet and they had many muscle cars converts to 427's all over the lot. Motion used to sell the 375HP 396 motors for about $350 from the pan to the intake manifold as they used to pull them out for the replacement to the 427 motors.

Once I had my 66 Chevelle Dyno tuned by Joel Rosen at Motion.

Those were the days.

Last edited:

I don't have the 67 anymore. I HAD one with the 375 HP motor in high school/college. I got rid of it to pay for college tuition. Now I see them going for ridiculous amounts of $$$.........at least I had fun for a few years........:D

And, yes, that car WAS a chick magnet! :cool:

If you scroll down on this article you will see a few pictures that were taken in front of Baldwin Chevrolet on LINY. This was the dealer that was hooked up with Joel Rosen and Motion Performance which was about a mile away or so. Take a look at the super cars all over the place. Look on the window of the dealership and see all the cars with the 427's Joel put into those monsters.

Motion Performance: Tales of a Muscle Car Builder - Martyn L. Schorr - Google Books

Tesla.

I'm not sure that I'm mature enough or responsible enough to take care of it. But that's not the point...

Hmmm - 55 Pontiac Chieftain, 37 Chevy Coupe, Datsun 2000 roadster, 67 XKE 2+2 coupe, 68 Camaro SS, 86 Dodge RAM, 99 Chevy Silverado, 2006 Equinox.

The 55 Pontiac and 67 XKE are my favorite memories.

heh heh heh - :cool: A Powerball win and a wharehouse - I could fill it. ;)

Well, this is a timely thread. After 4 years owning a 2008 Porsche Cayman S, DW and I just dropped it off at dealer to sell on consignment. Last year I just wasn't using it and frankly, felt a bit self conscious driving down the road. Great car, as much $ as I'd ever care to put on a road. Besides, now retired I sort of need the garage space for hobbies.

FWIW, biggest thrill was tracking it at VIR a few years ago. Nothing like a true mid engine (not a rear engine 911 mind you!) going though turns, letting go, and not feeling theatened in the least; total control. After the first day I saw a late model BMW with two right wheel folded under and another car all banged up; decided not to return for the second day (insurance is void on a racetrack). Had my fun, great four years, it was as much of my dream car as any. Anything more expensive and I just wouldn't drive it! (Ever go to a high end dealer and see all the Ferraris and like with 1,000 +/- miles on them for sale? Lot of people buy em and then are afraid to drive em I guess)

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

Attachments

• ferrari 250 gto.jpg
    ferrari 250 gto.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 91
If fully restored -
1 -68 Chevelle 396
2 -68 Charger (either 426 or 440)
3 - 64/65 Mustang 289
4 - 62 Vette 327

In 67 the Chevelle SS came standard with the 396 CI motor. There was a choice of 3 different HP motors. 325HP was the lowest, 350HP was the same motor with a different cam. The there was the 396 375HP. This car really had about 425HP. The difference with the engine was that it had different heads with the square ports. Also a solid lifter cam, dual bolt mains, higher compression and a host of other goodies. In 67 there were only 612 made with this engine as it was only available for a few months during the production run. In 66 there were many more 375HP Chevelles produced.

I lived very close to Motion Performance on Sunrise Hwy back in NY. They were hooked up with Baldwin Chevrolet and they had many muscle cars converts to 427's all over the lot. Motion used to sell the 375HP 396 motors for about $350 from the pan to the intake manifold as they used to pull them out for the replacement to the 427 motors.

Once I had my 66 Chevelle Dyno tuned by Joel Rosen at Motion.

Those were the days.

I ordered my car new from the factory early in the 67 model year and at that time the 375 HP option was not available in the SS Chevelle, only the 325 and 350. I wish I had known about the Baldwin dealership before I ordered, otherwise I could have gotton a beast delivered brand new, but I only discovered them several months after I took delivery from the factory. I lived in Westchester County and they were out on the Island:facepalm:.

I had two places work on my car, Motion did most of the work, but early on it was Bobby Lagana, both of whom are legends in the drag racing world. I was mainly a street racer back then, glad I never did any harm to anyone as a result and was never nabbed by the police. Loved eating goats for breakfast, lunch and dinner:LOL:.

If it can't pull the front wheels off the ground I'm not interested.:cool:

I hear ya, but remember your 454 can't do that either, at least not in its present trim:cool:.

Back
Top Bottom